Absinthe = The Devil

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

Rincewind
Giantfriend

Absinthe = The Devil

Post by Rincewind »

Any of our british friends aquainted with this?

... its bad for you
Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

Very bad for you, yes.

On of my friend is in an ITV documentary on teenage drinking because of his fondness for absinthe shots.
[spoiler]If you change the font to white within spoiler tags does it break them?[/spoiler]
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't absinthe illegal in England, also? I know you can find it in Spain and Portugal, but even then it's usually not real absinthe, as it isn't made with wormwood and doesn't have any trujone, usually has a lot of impurities, etc.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

It's legal in the UK.
Wikipedia wrote:In the 1990s an importer realized that there was no UK law about its sale (it was never banned there) - other than the standard regulations governing alcoholic beverages - and it became available again in the UK for the first time in nearly a century (though with a prohibitively high tax reflecting the high ethanol content). It had also never been banned in Spain or Portugal, where it continues to be made. Recent European Union laws have allowed absinthe and absinthe-like liquors to once again be made commercially; however, regulations place strict controls on the thujone level.
[spoiler]If you change the font to white within spoiler tags does it break them?[/spoiler]
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

AFAIK, the way they make it now is not the same method that was used historically. (The one that made you blind and mad, that is.)

Awful bloody stuff. Can't stand it.

--A
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

I recall an incident of a young bloke in Nottingham dying after chugging a yard of absinthe 8O Not surprising, but still...
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

How much is a yard?
The Leper Fairy
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Leper Fairy »

I bought a couple mini bottles of it for souvenirs while I was in Germany. Tried one of them (blech) and kept the others just to look at. *shrug*

Pie and Cake
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

dlbpharmd wrote:How much is a yard?
About three feet?
ur-bane
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ur-bane »

Hmmm.. a yard is what....6 Euro? ;)

IIRC, it's about 2 pints, right?

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want
to test a man's character, give him power.
--Abraham Lincoln

Excerpt from Animal Songs Never Written
"Hey, dad," croaked the vulture, "what are you eating?"
"Carrion, my wayward son."
"Will there be pieces when you are done?"
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

Horrible, possibly the worst stuff i have ever tasted.
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Post by Alynna Lis Eachann »

Isn't the whole point to pour it over sugar before you drink it, or something like that?
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard... and too damn cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Now if you remember all great paintings have an element of tragedy to them. Uh, for instance if you remember from last week, the unicorn was stuck on the aircraft carrier and couldn't get off. That was very sad. " - Kids in the Hall
Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

I think the point of it is to make you horribly sick.
Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Post by Alynna Lis Eachann »

High, not sick. Of course, to some people, it's all the same. :P
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard... and too damn cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Now if you remember all great paintings have an element of tragedy to them. Uh, for instance if you remember from last week, the unicorn was stuck on the aircraft carrier and couldn't get off. That was very sad. " - Kids in the Hall
Iryssa
Bloodguard

Post by Iryssa »

You pour it over a sugar cube, then light the cube on fire. It looks cool...but yeah, that's about it. Blech.
"A choice made freely is stronger than one compelled"
- Stephen R. Donaldson's The Wounded Land

https://www.xanga.com/Iryssa
safetyjedi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by safetyjedi »

I still find it hard to believe that some of us human beings would deliberately ingest or inhale narcotic poisons such as absinthe is.
Join me and we can end this destructive conflict...
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Come on, it's fun...

It'll make you feel good....

Everyone's doing it.....

It'll make you look cool......
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Edge
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Edge »

...If you really loved me, you'd do it for me. :)
Check out my digital art at www.brian.co.za
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Murrin wrote:
dlbpharmd wrote:How much is a yard?
About three feet?
Exactly. If someone drinks something by the yard, it's usually beer, but it doesn't have to be. I've never seen it done, but I'm given to understand it's a glass tube a yard long. Or was, at some point; it may not be now.
Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

A yard of ale is indeed still a yard of ale. Also, it is a glass tube three feet long, with a bulb at the bottom, and a bell-shaped opening at the top. There are special stands for them. I haven't personally had one, but I've seen it done, and it's definitely impressive. Cail can probably tell you. :D ;)

A yard of absinthe is a scary thought. But let's face it: Trent Reznor with his glass of absinthe in the video for "The Perfect Drug" was hot. :twisted:
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”