What character did you hate

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Nah, I blame Covenant for that. But Elena... Well, I've said it a few times, as you probably remember. But for the newer members, I'll say it again.

TIW spoiler, btw!!!!

Three characters told her not to do it. Mhoram, who everyone knew was a damned smart guy! Amok, who was a being of power, and who knew Kevin personally, and who was old enough to have seen quite a bit. Covenant, who she thought was so darned smart, who knew a thing or two about power himself. Amok warned her about it, Covenant strongly told her it was a bad idea, and Mhoram told her not to go at all! But, based on her half-assed fantasy that "there is immeasurable strength in the consummation of despair - strength beyond all conceiving by an unholocausted soul," she screws everybody. What a muscle-head!

Still, very well written! She had passion, and the willingness to go to extremes. I love hating her! :D Actually, I guess I pity her.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

Yeah, but she did the horserite back when she was a child; I do not think that would be simple to erase that from your subconcious; it was way too compelling for her I think.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

That's true. And in Albuquerque, I asked SRD about Elena. He said the Ranyhyn took her to the tarn because they sensed her capacity to act in big ways, and they wanted her to be thinking kindly of them if she did, indeed, take big risks.

I suppose their rite may have made her angrier than she otherwise would have been, more motivated to try to hurt Foul, and therefore more willing to risk something like the Power of Command. But it should not have blinded her to reason, and the advice of beings who she respected greatly. Covenant usually got more respect than he earned, so I wouldn't blame anyone for taking his advice with a grain of salt. Amok, because of his special nature and age, should have been given the benefit of the doubt. And Mhoram deserved all the respect anyone gave him. Yet they all gave her the same advice, and she ignored it.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Sunbaneglasses
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sunbaneglasses »

warning Runes references-if you haven't read-go no futher

Esmer-He is a good character,but he just bugs the pi$$ out of me.(since this is a no Runes spoilers thread I will not go into detail).
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Yes, Sbg, I agree!!
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
ur-monkey
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by ur-monkey »

Me too. Can't help but feel that Esmer is in sore need of chastisement.
Quin, suffering from total amnesia, slowly discovers himself possessed of inexplicable abilities as his world expands...

https://www.quinsabduction.org/
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I wonder who's gonna give it to him. I wonder if his dad is still around. Or maybe his dad's ex-travelling companion? I'll bet he could kick Esmer's butt! :D
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Sunbaneglasses
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sunbaneglasses »

If Esmer were to pet a kitten would he then feel compelled to kick the crap out of it?Or would he kick it then go over to it and stroke it?[/spoiler]
Last edited by Sunbaneglasses on Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Be careful guys--I'm tempted to split the thread, but I don't know how...
fall far and well Pilots!
The Somberlain
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by The Somberlain »

Avery, although at the end of WGW, and during Runes, she's not so bad.

But she really got on my nerves in TWL and TOT.

I really liked the Ravers, though. Not for who they were, but I liked their characters. Maybe not Herem so much, because we never really learnt about him.
But, especially in The Illearth War, Jehannum... he's great. I love that little bit where we see him watching - and celebrating - the Warward retreating towards Garrotting Deep, from his point of view.
safetyjedi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by safetyjedi »

The only thing I liked about the Ravers was when two of them got roasted by the Colossus in TPTP. Who didn't stand up in their chair and shout
"yes!!!!!!!!" when that happened? They were completely evil and I guess that was the point.
Join me and we can end this destructive conflict...
Kaos Arcanna
Ramen

Post by Kaos Arcanna »

safetyjedi wrote:The only thing I liked about the Ravers was when two of them got roasted by the Colossus in TPTP. Who didn't stand up in their chair and shout
"yes!!!!!!!!" when that happened? They were completely evil and I guess that was the point.
Um, me...

I felt sorry for the two Ramen who were
struggling to free themselves.
Luke The Unbeliever
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Luke The Unbeliever »

Let's see here...

The Gaddhi and The Elohim.

The Gaddhi was gutless and since I saw LotR before I read TCoTC, I kept getting a visual of the steward of Gondor when I tried to think of him. I just get disgusted everytime I read the death of the Haruchai at the hands of Nom...everytime. It's all his fault !

Then there's The Elohim. No one likes people who are "holier than thou" and these people struck me as the epitome such. I don't like them and never will. I felt as betrayed as Covenant when they disrespected him time after time.
Brian: Who cured you?
Ex-Leper: Jesus did, sir. I was hopping along, minding my own business, all of a sudden, up he comes, cures me! One minute I'm a leper with a trade, next minute my livelihood's gone. Not so much as a by-your-leave! "You're cured, mate." Bloody do-gooder.
Brian: Well, why don't you go and tell him you want to be a leper again?
Ex-Leper: Uh, I could do that sir, yeah. Yeah, I could do that I suppose. What I was thinking was I was going to ask him if he could make me a bit lame in one leg during the middle of the week. You know, something beggable, but not leprosy, which is a pain in the @$$ to be blunt and excuse my French, sir.
PillarofCreation
Servant of the Land

Post by PillarofCreation »

I hated Triock. He was a hate driven man that was consumed with revenge for Covenant. He took Lena's rape more seriously than her friggin parents did! True Trell tried a mini Desecration at Revelstone, but that is besides the point. Triock was on a personal manhunt for Covenant, even though Lena still loved him. Which, of course, is probably why he hated Covenant.
Be true, not only to thyself but to others, for no matter how they may assault you remember this: there is still love in the world.

visit my site: https://aquaithprodigy.gwgaming.net
jimdwa
Servant of the Land

Post by jimdwa »

I hated Sheriff Lytton. He wasn't in The Land but was sheriff of the county where Haven Farm was located. What a jerk. It isn't catching!!!!
Your country and your family are to die for. Food is to eat - Martin Crane
KAY1
Giantfriend

Post by KAY1 »

I disliked a lot of people but I really hated Elena as I found her too pathetic for words. Didn't particularly like Hile Troy either as I actually liked TC by TIW. Also disliked Linden intensely. What is it about the female characters that makes them so pathetic and needy? Everytime I read a passage where Linden sat 'hunched up with her hair covering her face' I wanted to slap her. :x
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

I always hated Drool Rockworm. I didn't like the way he spoke.
The King has one more move.
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

KAY's thoughts on Linden shows yet again how polarizing her character is. You either love her or hate her - there is just no middle ground. :wink:

Maybe it's the same with Hile Troy. I'm not a fan of him myself, so at least in this case I'm on side with you, KAY. :)

However, I'm afraid I disagree with the idea that SRD's female characters are needy and pathetic. There is a lot of pathos around, but I don't think the women are pathetic.
KAY1
Giantfriend

Post by KAY1 »

Hee hee at least you agreed with me on something!

I don't know there is something about the female characters I really dislike. I know some of them are quite strong or at least become strong later, but they all have a kind of desperate quality which I don't like. I can't explain it.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

However, Amatin rocked!!! Certainly the brains of the Council. heh And Hollian. Gotta love things like this:
For a moment, the Graveler and Covenant glared at each other; and Linden held her breath. But then Hollian broke the intensity. Leaning close to Sunder, grinning as if she meant to bite his ear, she breathed, "Son of Nassic, you have fallen far into folly if you credit that I will be divided from you in the name of simple safety."
I'm rather famous for my dislike of Elena. *high 5's KAY*

Naturally, I hated Linden in the beginning. After all, Jane can't be the star of a Tarzan book, right? :haha: But I became accustomed to her, and even like he at times. Difficult to not like her as she's fighting off possession, opening herself to the full might of the Sunbane, and saving the Land. :D
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”