Concerts

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

I just got home from my first concert ever - The Black Eyed Peas. It was so kewl. They were brilliant performers, and, contrary to what I had heard, they are actually really good live.

YAY! :S
Last edited by variol son on Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Interesting. Do a lot of American acts tour through NZ?
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Well, if you live in Auckland then you can go to see an act that is actually famous once every month or two. Maybe eight a year. However, they usually only do one show, so those of us in Christchurch miss out. :cry:

The Black Eyed Peas actually did three gigs in New Zealand, Wellington, Christchurch and Auckland, which is very rare. Lucky for me though. :D

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Cool. I never thought about major acts touring down there. I assumed they hit Austrailia, but never thought about you folks in NZ.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Yeah, we get them. And since it's such a big deal when big acts come, they almost always perform to sellout crowds and the atmosphere is always great. We see real famous musicians so seldom that we never take the ones we do get for granted.

The reason BEP did three shows this years is that their one show in Auckland for the Elephunk tour was so popular and the crowd was so pumped.

mrsnull
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by mrsnull »

Don't feel bad.
Most acts sell out in Houston. It is really hard to get a good seat at a big concert in Houston.

Julie
“This is Our Bleeping City” - David Ortiz
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

those who bother with Houston.

yeah, i'm talking to you Bob Mould, you can't miss Houston, it's the big city betweem Dallas and Austin.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
mrsnull
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by mrsnull »

To be honest, we are not between Austin and Dallas, Sweetie.

Dallas is here XXX

Austin is kinda of here

X

and Houston would be here. X

Love ya.

Julie :wink:
“This is Our Bleeping City” - David Ortiz
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

All I know is a car trip to Navasota from Tampa takes 2 days; three if you go through Houston.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Went to the U2 concert last night. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

They were soooooooooooooooooo good. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

I haven't calmed down enough yet to be able to talk rationally about it. Maybe in a day or two. :lol:
Love as thou wilt.

Avytaya
Stonedownor

Post by Avytaya »

Duchess,

I am so so so so so freaking jealous! I want the full report!

I want to see U2 so badly but I couldn't get tickets! I am so upset. I am finally at a point in my life where I am still young enough to go to a concert and not look like one of those "middle-aged" losers (as I thought in my 20s), where I actually have some disposable income to spend on a concert ticket, and where I actually live in a (somewhat) civilized and cultural city that has major events like concerts come through, and why can't I go? Because the concert sold out in 2 minutes. Oh, I could get tickets. If I went to a ticket broker and paid $400.00/ticket. If it was just me, I would suck it up and do it, but I've got a family now and just can't justify spending that kind of cash and make my baby go without formula.
Sorry for ranting but these damn ticket brokers piss me off. They are a bunch of predatory theives. Concerts are suppposed to be for the fans. I know there is no way to regulate this, but it just makes me ill.

I tried all this week calling radio stations like a total dork for the remote possibilty of winning tickets. No such luck. Hopefully when and if they tour again I won't be in the old fart category.

Anyway, that is my rant.

-Avy
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Avytaya wrote:Duchess,

I am so so so so so freaking jealous! I want the full report!

I want to see U2 so badly but I couldn't get tickets! I am so upset. I am finally at a point in my life where I am still young enough to go to a concert and not look like one of those "middle-aged" losers (as I thought in my 20s), where I actually have some disposable income to spend on a concert ticket, and where I actually live in a (somewhat) civilized and cultural city that has major events like concerts come through, and why can't I go? Because the concert sold out in 2 minutes. Oh, I could get tickets. If I went to a ticket broker and paid $400.00/ticket. If it was just me, I would suck it up and do it, but I've got a family now and just can't justify spending that kind of cash and make my baby go without formula.
Sorry for ranting but these damn ticket brokers piss me off. They are a bunch of predatory theives. Concerts are suppposed to be for the fans. I know there is no way to regulate this, but it just makes me ill.

I tried all this week calling radio stations like a total dork for the remote possibilty of winning tickets. No such luck. Hopefully when and if they tour again I won't be in the old fart category.

Anyway, that is my rant.

-Avy
Both concerts in Detroit sold out in minutes. :( I wanted so much to take my kids with me :( , but it was impossible, as I had to go through a scalper on ebay. I was lucky enough to find one who wasn't too greedy -- most of them started out with a pair of tickets for $400 & up. I got my pair for $150. Since the price of the tickets was originally $52 each that wasn't so bad in comparison to the rest of those sharks! So I guess I would say, check ebay periodically, and you might get lucky! :)
Love as thou wilt.

duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

I think I've finally calmed down enough to talk semi-coherently about the U2 concert. :lol: :lol:

It was the second Detroit concert -- the first one was on Monday, the second one (the one I went to ) was on Tuesday. :) The concerts were at the Palace of Auburn Hills, which is to the north of Detroit. It's about 1 1/2 - 2 hours from where I live depending on how crazy the freeway traffic is. Well, if there were no cars at all, maybe an hour, but that hardly ever happens.

Just driving up there was fun. The local radio station which was sposoring the concerts had the pre-concert-concert. They were playing only U2 music, and were interviewing all of these fans who had gone to the Monday concert on the air. They were all very enthused, and said that Bono was great at interacting with the fans. They were all talking about how he pulled a woman (they all said she had a very curvy butt :) ) up on stage with him for one of the slower songs, and slow danced with her for the whole song while he was singing.

Got to the Palace about half an hour early, and was glad that they checked purses and had everyone hold open their coats, but didn't actually pat everyone down like they did for the Green Day concert back in September. They also did the security checks inside, as opposed to at the door like with Green Day. That was most welcome, as it was a chilly night and looked like rain. :)

The opening act came on right at 7:30, like the tickets said. I was sitting behind the stage, and never did catch the name. They did some covers of some songs I did recognize, like Bush's Machinehead. Usually I enjoy the opening act, but that night I just seethed with impatience. I just wanted them off the stage so I could hear my favorite band of all
time! :lol:

They finally finished, and the roadies came out to set up for U2 (who eventually came out abour 8:50PM). It was a circular stage (which is why they were able to open up the whole stadium for seating). There was also an elevated circular track of sorts that came off of the stage and did a loop through the general admission crowd.

It turned out that the edges of the track and stage were equipped with different colors of lights. There were also strings of giant beads, like curtains, that they raised and lowered during different parts of the show for lighting special effects, which could also be used as screens. Very unique and very cool! There were also regular large screens, split into four, with a close up view of each band member throughout the show. :)

Bono and Edge in particular did come out on the track and interact with the fans. Bono also came to the back side of the stage for some songs, to sing to those of us seated behind the stage. :D He didn't do any slow dancing the second night, but he did go around the track and the edges of the stage and reached out and touched the hands of the fans. :) He had a very pleasing stage presence. He was quietly confident without being swaggering or arrogant. I guess you could say that he was quiet and commanding -he had the air of someone who has been doing something and doing it well for a long time, and still enjoys it. :)

the songs:
City of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Elevation
I Will Follow
Gloria
The Ocean
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
In A Little While
Beautiful Day
a medley of Beatles songs
Miracle Drug
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
No Regrets
Love and Peace or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Get Up Stand Up
Bullet the Blue Sky
Miss Saravejo
Pride (In the Name of Love)
Where the Streets Have No Name
One
MLK

for the first encore:
The First Time
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
With or Without You

for the second encore:
Crumbs from your Table
Bad
People Have the Power

One very touching moment was when the band dedicated a song to the recently passed Rosa Parks. :)

On the way home the radio station had the post-concert-concert. :lol: So we got to listen to U2 songs and fellow concert goers all the way home. The band did play some different songs on the two different Detroit nights, according to fans lucky enough to attend both shows. On the first night, Bono reportedly tried to sing Ole Man River but couldn't get his voice low enough, and everyone (including Bono and the rest of the band) got a good chuckle from that. :D
Love as thou wilt.

matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Glad you had a great time, duchess! I guess now you can strike this off your list of things you want to do before you die. :)
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Matrixman wrote:Glad you had a great time, duchess! I guess now you can strike this off your list of things you want to do before you die. :)
It was wonderful!. And I do have tickets to hear Beethoven's Ninth in December. So hopefully, the deployment thing will work out in a way such that I can go hear that as well. :D :D :D :D :D
Love as thou wilt.

dennisrwood
The Gap Into Spam

Post by dennisrwood »

the inmates played me an original composition today, a Christian song one of them wrote. in the church room, drum, guitar, vocals.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Hey, surprise surprise, I went to a concert this past weekend. Got comps for a Violent Femmes show. Not too bad, although I will say that a recording studio makes a big difference.

Still, enjoyable on the whole...when I could make out the lyrics anyway, and some long-standing favourites played.

--A
The Somberlain
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by The Somberlain »

I saw Explosions In The Sky last night.

They were incredible.
Incredible.

They're basically instrumental post-rock, with lots of guitar effects and stuff, and they'll go from beautifully crafted quiet, quiet intertwining guitar melodies then suddenly launch into protracted rocking-out... but it's still beautiful.

Just amazing. And very loud.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

where did you see them? I only have one song from them, First Breath After Coma. they sound incredible on that song. I need to find their cd's.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
The Somberlain
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by The Somberlain »

In London. They're releasing a new album sometime next year, and touring again on the back of that, I think.

I went out and bought the CD that that song's on the day after I saw them. Then the guy in the library later on told me that he thought it was an amazing CD. So good.

Return to “Vespers”