What fantasy/science fiction book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Murrin wrote:Strange series that, Duchess. Quite a confusing story. Some inconsistencies between the first and second book spoilt it a little for me, but it's interesting enough. If you like it, you should try Devices and Desires - I read that recently, and it's quite a bit better than the Scavenger books.
I'm halfway through the first book, and I am finding it to be an odd story so far. It is interesting enough that I am still working on it, but it has yet to really grip me. I find it a bit annoying that practically every person the main character meets knows who he is, but not a one is willing or able to so much as tell him his name (well, most seem to end up dead one way or another right away, but still...). A couple of times would be intriguing...this many times has become annoying. :| I find the hints of supernatural involvement of more interest, and hope they are developed more as the story goes on. :)
Love as thou wilt.

Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Roland of Gilead »

I'm reading Tim Lebbon's Dusk. Lebbon is a horror writer, and this is his first foray into fantasy.

It was slow slogging through the first fifty pages, but it was well-written, so I persevered and it's starting to grip me.

It concerns a world which lost its magic after a cataclysmic war, and only now is magic is returning, and there are those attempting to prevent it.

The setting is reminiscent of China Mieville's Perdido Street Station, although I wouldn't suggest that Lebbon's prose is equal to Mieville's. But the "feel" is there, gritty, dark, and full of strange wonders.

It's recommended by Steven Erikson, Paul Kearney and F. Paul Wilson. That's more than good enough for me!! 8)
"I am, in short, a man on the edge of everything." - Dark Tower II, The Drawing of the Three
Ainulindale
Giantfriend

Post by Ainulindale »

'm reading Tim Lebbon's Dusk. Lebbon is a horror writer, and this is his first foray into fantasy.

It was slow slogging through the first fifty pages, but it was well-written, so I persevered and it's starting to grip me.

It concerns a world which lost its magic after a cataclysmic war, and only now is magic is returning, and there are those attempting to prevent it.

The setting is reminiscent of China Mieville's Perdido Street Station, although I wouldn't suggest that Lebbon's prose is equal to Mieville's. But the "feel" is there, gritty, dark, and full of strange wonders.

It's recommended by Steven Erikson, Paul Kearney and F. Paul Wilson. That's more than good enough for me!!
I thought it was pretty disappointing. I read it last year, with some anticipation as I consider myself a fan of Lebbon (particularly his short stories), but I just thought Dusk - while certainly atmospheric - was pretty sub-standard. Taking away the couple of instances of inventiveness, it was essentially dark shannara (and a shannara under any name can't be good :D), with all the trappings that other high fantasy works fall into, deus ex machina and all.

I have to disagree that Lebbon's setting has any similarities in feel or is as described anywhere near as well as Mieville's New Crobuzon or Bas-lag in general. I consider Mieville's Bas-lag, along with other settings like VanderMeer's Ambergis, or Thomas's Punktown, to be among one of the elite backdrops in fantastic fiction, Lebbon's drowns us in the same description no matter here on his map we are. The setting never becomes an amalgamation of its denziens, symbolizng more than just 'where things occur'.

I'm going to review this book fully soon, but it was a case of me wanting to like it and being pretty disappointing., in fact I'd say it's the most disappointing novel of 2006 for me. That, said, opinions certainly do differ. :D
Latest Interview: George R.R. Martin

The Bodhisattva
Fantasybookspot.com

Check out the first issue of Heliotrope - featuring articles by R. Scott Bakker, Jeff VanderMeer and more!

"I think it's undignified to read for the purposes of escape. After you grow up, you should start reading for other purposes" - M. John Harrison
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

I have moved on to the second book in Parker's Scavenger Trilogy, called Pattern. So far I am not caring for it much. The first, while flawed, at least managed to be interesting. It was set in a crumbling empire on the brink of civil war, and being ripped apart by overseas raiders, etc. So there was at least some action, and nearly everyone seemed to be out to get the amnesiac main character, which kept things hopping to one degree or another through a lot of the book.

But this second book has shifted to a very peaceful farming community. Farming is necessary to life, but it does not make for something particularly interesting to read about (at least in this book - some books about farming, such as the children's classics by Laura Ingalls Wilder can be quite gripping). I am getting bored with it, and that is never a good sign...

I figure I will give it until the end to pick up...if not, I do not know if I will even bother with the third book... :?
Love as thou wilt.

pat5150
Giantfriend

Post by pat5150 »

Hi guys!

I just finished the book this morning! Deadhouse Gates is a superb novel. Steven Erikson offers a spectacular virtuoso performance, establishing himself as one of the most gifted fantasy authors to ever see the light.

Steven Erikson shows just how much of a master storyteller he is, displaying what can only be described as uncanny control over an immense plot. From what is gradually unfolding as the story progresses, I perceive that this could well be the most ambitious work of fantasy ever written.

Deadhouse Gates brings this series to a new level. The sheer scale of the author's vision is nothing less than astonishing. And the ease with which he seems to navigate through this grand epic of mortals and gods never ceases to astound me.

Deadhouse Gates stands on a far higher plane than most fantasy novels. Beyond the shadow of a doubt, it is one of the best fantasy books I've ever read!

For the complete review, check out the blog! As for me, I can't wait to read Memories of Ice.

Patrick
www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Okay, so since it's been a week and I've managed less than ten pages of Mistress of Mistresses, I'm going to set that book aside for a while. Next... ah, to hell with reading them in the order I bought them. I'll just pick up the first one that catches my interest.
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

I know that feeling right now, Murrin. :) It was a huge struggle for me to finish Pattern. The author even made
Spoiler
sex
and
Spoiler
surviving volcanic erruptions
a snooze fest.

This morning I read the first couple of chapters of the third book in the trilogy Memory and it was every bit as boring, though set in a dumpy foundry rather than a dull farm. :roll:

At this point I care so little about what happens to the still mostly amnesiac main character that I am tempted to drop all three books in the library donation box, with the third one unfinished. :?

On the other hand I hate to not finish something once I have started it. :?

Decisions, decisions... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Love as thou wilt.

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Its been a long while since I read them, so perhaps their impression on me has been lost to my memory. There was some uncertainty involved in deciding whether I liked them or not, I seem to remember. However I promise you, Duchess, Devices and Desires is better, should you ever feel like attempting Parker again.

My problem with Mistress, however, is different. I loved Eddison's The Worm Ouroboros, but I really haven't given myself a chance to think anything about this book so far. I picked it up, while tired, on thursday night then put it down because I couldn't concentrate. I just don't think I'm in the right mindset at the minute for this style of storytelling. I'm thinking of trying Moorcock or Banks.
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Yeah...Eddison can be...dense. :) To read him I want to be mentally sharp and at a time and place I can concentrate on his work. :) Wolfe is another writer where I need to be mentally "on" for reading his stuff. :)

In my case I am just plain bored and uninterested in these particular books. :-| And I do not think a change in emotional state (I am actually pretty upbeat and energized right now) or being more mentally alert is going to change that. :?

edited to add: I skimmed through the third book. It never did look like it picked up. :? This will be one of the rare books I do not finish...I have gone on to the next book in my ToBeRead stack, an historical novel set in Italy, instead. :)
Love as thou wilt.

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

This isn't really to do with what I'm reading 'right now', but I've just posted up the first half of a post about the books I read over the course of 2005 on my blog. My summary of January-June can be found here.

As for the immediate, I think I'm going to start Banks' The Wasp Factory tonight.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Can't go far wrong with Banks.

Nearly fininshed re-reading WoT 9. The really bad one coming up...
Weep ye all with me...
;)

--A
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

I've been chipping away at The Broken God for a couple of weeks now, but it's slower to start than Neverness was.

I'm also grinding my way through Peter F. Hamilton's The Reality Dysfunction. Each new chapter brings a brand new set of characters that the reader will have almost entirely forgotten about when they eventually resurface a dozen chapters later.
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

I preferred Broken God to Neverness on the whole, and enjoyed The Reality Dysfunction, except for one little (not so little) plot point that I won't mention 'til you've read the whole series.

--A
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I liked the Night's Dawn Trilogy, though maybe some stuff in it didn't really seem necessary. The start of the book isn't so good though - you're right about the new characters thing - one long chapter at a time with each set, large spaces without seeing certain ones. It begins tying together and getting better towards the middle. I think the second half of The Reality Dysfunction is probably the best part of the series.

The Wasp Factory was good, if not quite as macabre and disturbing as the blurbs in front had led me to believe.
Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Roland of Gilead »

Hamilton operates on a gargantuan scale, and his huge cast of characters and settings reflects this. For me, the characters and settings were distinctive enough to keep straight, despite the lapses between visits with each. Stick with it, it's worth it. 8)
"I am, in short, a man on the edge of everything." - Dark Tower II, The Drawing of the Three
Prom_STar
Bloodguard

Post by Prom_STar »

reading this quaint little book right now. Maybe you've heard of it. It's by some guy from Ohio or New Mexico or India some other place like that. Really long title too:

The Gap into Power: A Dark and Hungry God Arises

Still can't figure out who the heck this "dark and hugnry god" is.
Was auch immer komm, dieses weiß ich für sicher:
Ich bin zurückgekauft.

Wenn Diamanten reichlich war, würden sie keinen Wert haben. Echter Wert kommt nich aus schönheit--er kommt aus seltenheit.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I've started reading VanderMeer's collection Secret Life. The first story, of the same title, was amazing.
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Nearly fininshed re-reading WoT 9. The really bad one coming up...
Weep ye all with me...
;)

--A
Have some hugs. You will need them when you read WOT 10. :wink:

|G |G |G |G |G
Love as thou wilt.

pat5150
Giantfriend

Post by pat5150 »

Hi guys!

In my last review I claimed that Talon of the Silver Hawk was Raymond E. Feist's worst novel to date. I take it back! King of Foxes now holds that dubious honor. How the author managed to produce an inferior sequel is beyond me. Feist had certainly not set the bar too high with its predecessor. Hence, to have failed to raise the level of quality of Conclave of Shadows with this second volume does say a lot about this series.

Frankly, if fans were not adamant about the fact that Feist's latest, Flight of the Nighthawks, is quite a good yarn, I'm persuaded that I wouldn't even bother with the third installment of this mediocre trilogy.

For the full review, you can always check the blog. . .

Patrick
www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Murrin wrote:I liked the Night's Dawn Trilogy, though maybe some stuff in it didn't really seem necessary. The start of the book isn't so good though - you're right about the new characters thing - one long chapter at a time with each set, large spaces without seeing certain ones. It begins tying together and getting better towards the middle. I think the second half of The Reality Dysfunction is probably the best part of the series.
It was an excellent series, I will add. I just had major problems with Joshua Calvert as a character. And as for the ending:
Spoiler
the biggest deus ex machina in the history of literature. And there was no development as to how Calvert works it out.
Still had some great aliens in it and the concept was original.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”