Anele = Elena?

Book 1 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderator: dlbpharmd

mortem
Stonedownor

Anele = Elena?

Post by mortem »

I've read a lot of posts in this forum, but haven't come across any that discuss this. Anele's name backwards spells Elena... could this mean that he also will do something insane such as breaking another law?
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

I think SRD has said in the Gradual Interview that its a coincedence.
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
Nerdanel
Bloodguard

Post by Nerdanel »

However, according to the First Chronicles system Anele would be a girl's name. Of all the words that may be related to Anele, like anneal, anile is the funniest. In fact it makes me wonder if we are sure that Anele's name was given to him by Sunder and Hollian instead of Lord Foul... 8O We know that Lord Foul has sometimes access to Anele's brain. I wonder if he can do tricks there we don't know of.

Anele's name is so full of potential meanings it's no wonder that some of them like Elena backwards are coincidental.
Buckarama
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Buckarama »

Hmmm I can't believe I've never noticed that before. Ah well, old age comes for everyone,....

Who am I again? Where are my depends!
Prom_STar
Bloodguard

Post by Prom_STar »

Warmark wrote:I think SRD has said in the Gradual Interview that its a coincedence.
SRD in GI wrote: Yes, it's just a coincidence. I didn't notice the Elena/Anele spelling until a friend pointed out to me--too late for me to do anything about it. Sometimes these things just happen. (11/08/2004)
Was auch immer komm, dieses weiß ich für sicher:
Ich bin zurückgekauft.

Wenn Diamanten reichlich war, würden sie keinen Wert haben. Echter Wert kommt nich aus schönheit--er kommt aus seltenheit.
exnihilo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by exnihilo »

Anele is a word Donaldson uses in the second chronicles... although I can't remember the book and passage, and I only saw it once. I remember seeing it during my recent re-read of the series. It means to bless as by annointing with oil.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Fist has pointed it out a few times.
fall far and well Pilots!
exnihilo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by exnihilo »

Word
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Hey, ExNihilo, you back? Why didn't you visit the 'Tank? ;)

--A
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Or maybe he wants to think that it's a coincidence! ;)

*cue suspensful music*
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
exnihilo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by exnihilo »

Avatar wrote:Hey, ExNihilo, you back? Why didn't you visit the 'Tank? ;)

--A
I'm working up to it ;)
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I just bumped a thread about this for you. We've discussed everything at one point or another. Usually way beyond the point of necessity or good taste! :mrgreen:
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
khalgregar
Servant of the Land

Post by khalgregar »

SRD in GI wrote: Yes, it's just a coincidence. I didn't notice the Elena/Anele spelling until a friend pointed out to me--too late for me to do anything about it. Sometimes these things just happen. (11/08/2004)
I posted the question that resulted in this answer about a year ago I think, and have also asked him face to face. I think it must be a coincidence if you look at it from a different angle - if SRD had planned to slip a little secret into the story under our noses, he would have found some way to do it that was a little more sophisticated. I think the only person who *didn't* notice the reverse spelling was SRD himself, having invested much thought into the character and hence was suffering from acute tunnel-vision.

Return to “The Runes of the Earth”