South Park! Chef's departure

Talk about all your favorite series, shows, programs, news anchorpeople, ect.

Moderators: Cagliostro, sgt.null

What do you think of Isaac Hayes leaving South Park?

He's a hypocrite!! He shouldn't have left if he tolerated other religion bashing
100%
He's right - you shouldn't pick on Scientology
No votes
What's South Park?
No votes
Who is Chef?
No votes
Isaac who?
No votes

Total votes: 16

Creator
The Gap Into Spam

South Park! Chef's departure

Post by Creator »

Ok ... I have to admit ... I really don't watch this. [Tho my kids do!] But I have been intrigued by the controversy around Isaac Hayes' departure as the voice of Chef [Hmmmmm..... prehaps James Earl Jones as a replacement!]

It DOES seem hypocritical to me that he cries - religion abuse ONLY after Scientology is diss'ed. Not when any other religion was maligned. What do my Watch brothers and sisters think!?

EXPLAIN your vote!
He/She who dies with the most toys wins! Wait a minute ... I can't die!!!
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Oh those wacky Scientologists.....

A year from now he'll go back to being "Isaac who?"

What's really galling was that Tom Cruise threatened to not promote MI:3 if Comedy Central reran the episode in question. They caved.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Elfgirl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Elfgirl »

Unbelievable. Who'd have thought so much fuss over a 'made-up' religion? The guy didn't even write good science fiction, let alone a good philosophy!

Crikey, religious nuts are a few cans short of a six-pack eh?
ImageImageImage
"Right away would be good. Right now would be better"
-- Nick Succorso

OK, so what's the speed of dark?- Larry the Cable Guy
Marv
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Marv »

in case you didnt see it this was Parker and Stones response;
"So, Scientology, you may have won THIS battle, but the million-year war for earth has just begun! Temporarily anozinizing our episode will NOT stop us from keeping Thetans forever trapped in your pitiful man-bodies. Curses and drat! You have obstructed us for now, but your feeble bid to save humanity will fail! Hail Xenu!!!"
It'd take you a long time to blow up or shoot all the sheep in this country, but one diseased banana...could kill 'em all.

I didn't even know sheep ate bananas.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

the Scientologist have way too much money. we should take it from them and give it to young, single mothers trying to get ahead and raise their children.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

But it's not the first time South Park has picked on Scientology. Unless Hayes is a recent convert. What ires me is how childish Cruise behaves whenever someone criticises Scientology (like with Bowfinger) yet he has free reign to attack other religions and psychology.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Hypocrite.

--A
ur-bane
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ur-bane »

And through all this, I laugh. It's a bunch of cardboard cutouts, for crying out loud.
It's the opinions of two guys expressed through comedy. It's not as if South Park's antics are limited to Scientology.
They've poked fun at many religions, including Catholic, Mormon, Judaism...
They've poked fun at many celebrities, including Patrick Duffy, Streisand, Jennifer Lopez, Ben Affleck.....etc.

What's the big deal? Some people need to lighten up.

As for the poll, I can't vote. No answer rings true.

But it was great in this past episode how Matt and Trey decided to to use Hayes' voice clips from other shows and edit them into this show! :haha:

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want
to test a man's character, give him power.
--Abraham Lincoln

Excerpt from Animal Songs Never Written
"Hey, dad," croaked the vulture, "what are you eating?"
"Carrion, my wayward son."
"Will there be pieces when you are done?"
Revenant
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Revenant »

Hmmm... Another point of view here:
www.foxnews.com/printer_friendly_story/ ... 63,00.html

Will wait for Mr Hayes' himself to comment.
I'm sure that being part of that show he did expect one of these days some stuff being thrown at that "religion".

hm'kay?
:wink:
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Meantime, Tom Cruise may have gotten Comedy Central to pull its repeat of "South Park"'s Scientology spoof last week, but the result is that episode is all over the Web. You can see it for free at youtube.com.

- how does Crusie have this much power?
and why would anyone want a handler?
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Marv
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Marv »

sgtnull wrote:- how does Crusie have this much power?
:shifty:

because he is the LORD OF SCIENTOLOGY.
It'd take you a long time to blow up or shoot all the sheep in this country, but one diseased banana...could kill 'em all.

sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

don't thses folks get that its just another book that Hubbard wrote? how did the fall into giving so much time and money to a novelist?
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Probably because they aren't actually that bright. Hence the need for a handler. :D
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

The thing is, Cruise a good actor. I guess we are all so fascinated by his personal life we confuse things. Still, he is acting like a prat.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Meh, I wouldn't give him that much credit as an actor.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Me neither. Avatar is correct, Hayes is a hypocrit.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I just watched the episode in question, and the episode responding to chef's departure. The scientology ep is one of the least offensive or insensitive episodes of South Park I've seen.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

seems it has nothing to do with the scientology bunk, but the Cruise come out of the closet quote.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Elfgirl
The Gap Into Spam

Unbelievable...

Post by Elfgirl »

:roll:

I think South Park has been around long enough for people to realise how TOTALLY irreverent it is, and that EVERYONE and EVERYTHING is fair game to these guys. I wish that people would just desensitise their anal optic nerve (ie, pluck that wild hair from their a$$) and either a) enjoy the schoolroom snicker factor or b) switch to another channel.

I'm SO anti- people who must b!tch about TV programming being offensive when all they need is to hit the OFF switch on their remote control and just let the people who DO like this stuff enjoy it!

bloody do-gooders... :evil:
ImageImageImage
"Right away would be good. Right now would be better"
-- Nick Succorso

OK, so what's the speed of dark?- Larry the Cable Guy
Marv
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Marv »

:goodpost: :soapbox:

Return to “TV Shows”