What fantasy/science fiction book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Finished my reread of Midnight Tides by Erikson. As good as I remembered, and with all six books in mind, I was able to glean some new insight into the plot of TotMBofF from small hints dropped in the text.

I'll be beginning Moorcock's Von Bek next.
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

I finally finished Erikson's Memories of Ice this morning. I think I will take a break from any sf&f books for a few days while my brain recovers. :wink: Goodness, that was a big old book (700+ pages). Luckily enough happened that it did move right along. :) :lol:
Love as thou wilt.

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Was that the hardback, then, Duchess? The MMPB was 1000+ pages, heh. It's the biggest in the series. And the most dramatic - how'd you find it?
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

That was the American trade paperback. :) I enjoyed it a lot, but am also happy that none of the other books will turn out to be cinder blocks like that one. :wink:
Love as thou wilt.

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Well, The Bonehunters comes close...
Ainulindale
Giantfriend

Post by Ainulindale »

Right now I'm reading Jeffrey Ford's second collection Empire of Ice Cream which is thus far magnificent, and finishing up Stephen Baxter's Emperor (which will be out in July) which a really nice Baxter project, from a writer who usually delivers with either brilliance, or is a bit uneven (even with his collaborations with Arthur C. Clarke).

Right now finishing up reviews on Jacqeline Carey's Kushiel's Scion (which comes out in June) and Jeff Vandermeer's (who I interviewed last week) Shriek: an afterword - which is just a outrageously well crafted, and ambitious narrative from one of my favorite writers.
Latest Interview: George R.R. Martin

The Bodhisattva
Fantasybookspot.com

Check out the first issue of Heliotrope - featuring articles by R. Scott Bakker, Jeff VanderMeer and more!

"I think it's undignified to read for the purposes of escape. After you grow up, you should start reading for other purposes" - M. John Harrison
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Pratchett's Going Postal.

--A
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Ainulindale wrote:. . . Stephen Baxter's Emperor (which will be out in July) which a really nice Baxter project, from a writer who usually delivers with either brilliance, or is a bit uneven (even with his collaborations with Arthur C. Clarke).
Sums up my feelings about Baxter.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
duke
Giantfriend

Post by duke »

Just started Zindell's Neverness, thanks to all the cheerleading of it by Danlo :)
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I can't even find a copy of that book anymore.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I'll have to send you another copy! Maybe when I finally finish Eye of Cat and zip through The Eye of the Heron I can dive back into The Algebraist! 8)
fall far and well Pilots!
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

You didn't finish The Algebraist?! :) Y'Sul would be ashamed! ;)
Sunbaneglasses
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sunbaneglasses »

I am trying to read A Game of Thrones,but about half way thru I am still having trouble getting into it.
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

Loremaster wrote:You didn't finish The Algebraist?! :) Y'Sul would be ashamed! ;)
Neither did I, its next though.
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I hope you enjoy.
Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Roland of Gilead »

I'm reading the critically acclaimed His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik.

I must say I'm somewhat disappointed. I was led to believe that this alternate history would combine the Napoleonic Wars and Britain's Royal Navy with dragons. Sort of a cross between the movies Master and Commander and Dragonheart, if you will.

Well, early on, the whole navy connection pretty much disappears, and the novel is mostly about the bonding with and training of various breeds of dragons. There is very little action until near the end of the book.

The period dialogue seems accurate, and the protagonist is well-developed, but there is not as much historical background and underpinnings as one expects from this sort of story.

I would have to say I prefer the late Chris Bunch's Dragonmaster, for a tale involving the use of dragons as an air force branch of a military service, because he is much superior to Novik at portraying action and tactics.

I doubt if I will continue this series, which is a shame, because I had very high hopes for this one. :-x :cry:
"I am, in short, a man on the edge of everything." - Dark Tower II, The Drawing of the Three
Ainulindale
Giantfriend

Post by Ainulindale »

I'm reading the critically acclaimed His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik.
I liked this book, but I'm not aware of any critic (by critic I'm refering to the 8-10 reviewers whose opinions are worth a damn regarding the genre) who has lauded it in major way that it could be called 'critically acclaimed'. Have any links?

If anything, most opinion I have read have made it an issue to note that this would not be a critical darling at all (which it isn't), but would probably find itself quite popular with the mainstream genre fan. This is a fast-paced, fun book that I think won't appeal at all to the critical segment of the genre in a big way, but neverthless has its own redeeming qualities.
I would have to say I prefer the late Chris Bunch's Dragonmaster, for a tale involving the use of dragons as an air force branch of a military service, because he is much superior to Novik at portraying action and tactics.
Hmmm..can't say I have ever been motivated by action, particularly as a necessary element in a book I like, which is probably why it didn't bother me.
Latest Interview: George R.R. Martin

The Bodhisattva
Fantasybookspot.com

Check out the first issue of Heliotrope - featuring articles by R. Scott Bakker, Jeff VanderMeer and more!

"I think it's undignified to read for the purposes of escape. After you grow up, you should start reading for other purposes" - M. John Harrison
Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Roland of Gilead »

Ainulindale, if anything, the book got worse near the end, with a deus ex machina in the final battle. The main dragon suddenly has a physical power not previously foreshadowed or hinted at all, and of course, it's enough to save the day and prevent Napoleon's invasion.

It reminded me of ET suddenly developing the ability to fly to escape the government agents chasing the kids on the bicycles.

Perhaps "critically acclaimed" is misleading. All I know is that Entertainment Weekly gave it an A, my local newspaper (the Kansas City Star) gave it a top-notch review, I believe Publishers Weekly and Kirkus did likewise, and there are nothing but 5-stars from the amazon folks. That was enough to make me think it was something out of the ordinary, particularly when it's being promoted with monthly installments and beautiful matching covers.

In any event, I was disappointed big-time, and yes, when a novel purports to be about Britain's Royal Navy using dragons in the Napoleonic Wars, I do expect colorful action in the tale, and I expect it to be well-done. :evil:
"I am, in short, a man on the edge of everything." - Dark Tower II, The Drawing of the Three
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Rereading my Sector General books by James White. (Too lazy to read somethng more challenging.)

I know somebody here likes them too...Duchess? Is that you?

Anyway, whoever it is, you'll probably like Prostho Plus by Piers Anthony too, if you haven't read it already. ;)

--A
IrrationalSanity
The Gap Into Spam

Post by IrrationalSanity »

Just finished "Shadow of the Giant", last book in Orson Scott Card's "Shadow" series of follow-ups to "Ender's Game".
- Woody -
Linden Lover and proud of it...
But I love my wife more!

"Desecration requires no knowledge. It comes freely to any willing hand." - Amok

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”