Renegade of Funk
Servant of the Land

Post by Renegade of Funk »

No - but the afore-mentioned boyfriend said earlier he'd lend some to me. :D
"Dream that what is dreamed will be..."
Spiral Jacobs
Giantfriend

Post by Spiral Jacobs »

I first read American Gods and then Neverwhere, and that was a mistake - although I liked Neverwhere, American Gods was much, better and far more mature. I found NW pretty simple, straightforward and predictable, whereas AC had a far more interesting theme and was just written better, imho.
The Somberlain
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by The Somberlain »

I bought The Doll's House today and enjoyed it even more than Preludes And Nocturnes.

Just brilliant.
Torrent
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Torrent »

I was disappointed by Neverwhere, kind of liked American Gods. I thought that especially Neverwhere didn't have a lot of depth. Some stuff was imaginative, the villains were horrible (they seemed to be borrowed from some Dickens novel) and I'd rather read Pratchett or Adams for the humour.

American Gods was much better but I guess he could come up with some Gods of his own in the next book. I think it's not a bad idea to use all these old myths and put them in a new context, but it's not THAT imaginative. And his characters and their relationships were just not that satisfying. But that's just me, I know a lot of people love his work to death. Maybe I just don't get what's so great about him.

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”