Neil Gaiman: What a pleasant surprise!

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

pat5150
Giantfriend

Neil Gaiman: What a pleasant surprise!

Post by pat5150 »

Hi guys!

I did not know what to expect from Neil Gaiman's debut. I had read a few issues of his The Sandman comic series, but had not been impressed. Of course, that was over a dozen years ago. Since then, Gaiman has received international acclaim for both Neverwhere and American Gods. Wanting to read something on the "light" side after reading a novel such as Robinson's The Years of Rice and Salt, I elected to give Neverwhere a shot. And boy was I not disappointed!:-)

The worldbuilding is dark, well-crafted and imaginative. Gaiman's ability to turn places we know into unfamiliar and whimsical setting is the hallmark of a gifted storyteller. With him, London takes on mythical dimensions. And since it's one of my favourite cities in the world, it was pure delight to read this tale. One thing is certain: you will never look at the Underground the same way again. I can't imagine not thinking about Neverwhere the next time I'm on the tube, coming to stations such as Black Friars, Knightsbridge or Earl's Court.

If you haven't given this novel a chance yet, please do so. You will not regret it! For a complete review, you can always check the weblog!

I am persuaded that American Gods is a great novel. And Good Omens is said to be hilarious. But what about Stardust and Smoke and Mirrors? Are they worth picking up? I have to admit that I did not expect to enjoy Gaiman's writing style as much as I did! Let me know your thoughts on this author!:)

One thing's for sure, though. Neverwhere is good stuff!!!;)

Patrick
www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Good Omens is hilarious.

Stardust is a wonderful fractured fairy tale.

Coraline is for kids, but is delightful and creepy.

Neverwhere was originally written as a screenplay for television. You can get the mini-series on dvd...

And Gaiman has a new book coming out soon, set in the American Gods universe, though from what I understand it is not a sequel, but more of a stand-alone story. It will be called Anansi Boys, and I would think from the title it will deal with some African American gods... 8)
Love as thou wilt.

Ainulindale
Giantfriend

Post by Ainulindale »

Duchess' comments are spot on, all that said IMHO his best work is still his Sandman work he did for Vertigo/D.C. comic. This stories of the Endless were just simply groundbreaking.

There is also a Neverwhere comic book adaptation - and a new movie Mirrormask.
Latest Interview: George R.R. Martin

The Bodhisattva
Fantasybookspot.com

Check out the first issue of Heliotrope - featuring articles by R. Scott Bakker, Jeff VanderMeer and more!

"I think it's undignified to read for the purposes of escape. After you grow up, you should start reading for other purposes" - M. John Harrison
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Book NeverWhere is much better than the mini-series. And I loved Good Omens as well. Always been a fan of the Sandman stuff too for that matter. But Neverwhere was awesome.

For something in a similar vein, look for RoofWorld by Christopher Fowler. Excellent stuff.

--A
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Gaiman's short stories are not to be missed. There's a collection of them in Smoke and Mirrors.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

I watched the Neverwhere series years ago, and I started the book but got bored. I might finish it one day...
The Leper Fairy
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Leper Fairy »

CovenantJr wrote:I watched the Neverwhere series years ago, and I started the book but got bored. I might finish it one day...
Meh, I wasn't that impressed with Neverwhere.

It's a decent story, just lacking somehow. I literally put down the book and groaned when I saw that he had actually written "Bizarre bazaar". :roll:

American Gods is much better... perhaps I'll go check out Good Omens.

Pie and Cake
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Written by Pratchett and Gaiman? It's great, I assure you. ;)

--A
The Somberlain
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by The Somberlain »

I've only fully read American Gods and Coraline, but while on holiday last month I came across a free preview-chapter of Anansi Boys in a (very good) SF/Fantasy/Graphic Novel bookshop in Göteborg, in Sweden.

I can't really make any definite comments, but it seems to be more lighthearted than American Gods. As Gaiman himself acknowledges in the introduction.
But it looks pretty good.

I definitely intend to read more. Especially The Sandman... when I can afford it. From what I've seen and heard so far, it looks great.
Edge
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Edge »

I've read everything of Gaiman's, and would be hard-pressed to pick out a favourite - it's all brilliant. The man's a genius.
The Leper Fairy wrote:I literally put down the book and groaned when I saw that he had actually written "Bizarre bazaar". :roll:
I did the same with Rowling's 'Diagon Alley'. :wink:
Check out my digital art at www.brian.co.za
Ryzel
Bloodguard

Post by Ryzel »

Isn't the Anansi Boys just out in HC?
"Und wenn sie mich suchen, ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf." Bernd das Brot
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Yes, Anansi Boys came out on the 20th in hardback. Now I think about it - isn't Mirrormask out in cinemas today?

I've just finished (and I mean just that - I finished, came downstairs, and logged on to KW) Good Omens - good book, not as many big laughs as I'd have hoped for, but still good.
I'm already decided about getting Anansi Boys - I read half the first chapter in the bookstore, and it definately seemed worth reading (I probably would've read more, but the store had quite a few people in, and I felt a bit odd standing there reading a book I wasn't going to buy (yet)).
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Yes, I had it on pre-order at Amazon, and it arrived a couple of days ago. :) I need to finish up the book I'm in the middle of before I get started with it, though. :)

It's 334 pages, and looks like its about (from the jacket blurb)
Spoiler
The two sons of Mr. Nancy, who is, of course, Anansi, the African trickster god who is also called spider god.
Love as thou wilt.

pat5150
Giantfriend

Post by pat5150 »

Anansi Boys is great! :D

This is the story of what happens to someone when his father (who just so happens to be the trickster spider-god Anansi) doesn't have the decency to die appropriately. When Fat Charlie's father drops dead on a karaoke stage in Florida, holding on to the ample bosom of a tourist from Michigan, he will in effect ruin Fat Charlie's life.

And if that wasn't enough -- and God knows that it is more than enough for poor Charles -- Fat Charlie is also reunited with the mysterious twin brother he never knew he had, who will find several ways to mess things up and inadvertently make Fat Charlie's life miserable.

Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys is quite a treat to read. The pace is just perfect, with relatively short chapters that beg you to read just another one before your bedtime.

What gives this novel all its flavour is Gaiman's witty sense of humour. Pretty similar in style to that of Neal Stephenson, but with a story that is much more accessible. Indeed, anyone could read Anansi Boys and enjoy the ride. For me, Gaiman's sarcastic and ironic humour made me laugh out loud a number of times.

There is an endearing cast of characters, all of them more colorful than the other. The dialogues are great. Nothing is overdone. Everything speeds the story along, keeping you turning those pages.

As appear to be the case with each of Gaiman's novels, the imagery is arresting. If this author ever teamed up with Tim Burton to make a movie, it would probably be incredible!

The only shortcoming of this novel is that you reach the ending too rapidly. I wish it could have been longer. But the pace would like have suffered from that. . .

All in all, a truly wonderful read. Anansi Boys could well be the most fun you'll have reading this year! Definitely a book to buy!

Patrick
www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com
The Somberlain
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by The Somberlain »

I finally got round to reading Preludes and Nocturnes.
I loved it.

I can see a good bit of money being spent on the rest of the Sandman series now :(
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Somberlain : your local library should either have some of the Sandman collections or can order them from another library. our library is currently expanding its graphic novel selection.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
The Somberlain
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by The Somberlain »

I know... but I like to own things. I'm a material girl.

(But I'm not a girl.)
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

i read them and decide what to buy. btw, have you ever seen James Robinson's Golden Age? that is my favorite graphic novel. my wife favors Kingdom Come. she loves Alex Ross' artwork.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Renegade of Funk
Servant of the Land

Post by Renegade of Funk »

Yayeth, Neil Gaiman RULES. Okay, I've only read Good Omens, Neverwhere and Coraline, but they rock! My boyfriend is obsessed with him, and manages to slip something about Neil Gaiman into every conversation. :roll: I have to say I don't blame him though! I must read more...
Last edited by Renegade of Funk on Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Dream that what is dreamed will be..."
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

have you read his Sandman comics?
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”