All Quiet on the Western Front

For those who want to talk about other authors, but can't be bothered to go join other boards...

Moderators: Orlion, Dragonlily

duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

All Quiet on the Western Front

Post by duchess of malfi »

I've been rather slowly been reading this little novel over the past few days...

It tells the story of some German teenagers serving in the army in WWI.

It is brilliantly written, and I often have to put it down because I find much of the description of battle and of the trenches to be so disturbing.

The author, Erich Maria Remarque, himself was forced to serve in the German army in WW1, and lived through many terrible things, such as the ones he describes.

I am finding it to be a very moving, yet very disturbing book. I believe that it is meant to be disturbing, as it begins with:
This book is to be neither an accusation nor a confession, and least of all an adventure, for death is not an adventure to those who stand face to face with it. It will simply try to tell of a generation of men who, even though they may have escaped its shells, were destroyed by the war.
I did a bit of research on the book and found a website dedicated to it:
www.bwdd.com/allquiet/

I find it interesting that the Nazis banned this book, and wanted it to be publicly burned, and also stripped the author of his German citizenship.
Love as thou wilt.

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I had to read this in high school. Can you imagine reading this when your 16?

If you think it is disturbing, please come back and post when you are finished. By then you're definition of disturbing should be quite adjusted.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

It is indeed a classic. Maybe I should dig out my copy of it again.

--A
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Wayfriend wrote:I had to read this in high school. Can you imagine reading this when your 16?

If you think it is disturbing, please come back and post when you are finished. By then you're definition of disturbing should be quite adjusted.
I cannot imagine reading something like that so young. :?

It was both very brilliant and very horrifying, and I can see why the Nazis hated that books, with its almost prophetic passages saying how that generation of men was ruined by the war, and how the future might be marred by that. If I get a bit of time later, I might come back and quote some of those passages...

One of the most difficult reads I have ever run up against...

My husband has asked to read it next...
Love as thou wilt.

Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Looking to buy a copy.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

It's been *looks at fingers* 26 years since I read this in HS. I remember next to nothing about it. Maybe I'll get to it again one day.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Loremaster wrote:Looking to buy a copy.
Loremaster, given your love for the WW1 poets, you might also find this book to be greatly moving. Perhaps someday when the copywrites run out, some publisher can combine this novel with some of the best of the British war poetry in one volume. It would be the greatest anti-war statement humanity could ever come up with... :)

Still hard to see making this mandatory reading in high school, though, given its extremely gory scenes of combat and its aftermath. I'm glad my kids did not have to read it, though I hope they will when they are a bit older. :?
Love as thou wilt.

Ylva Kresh
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Ylva Kresh »

I read this when I was in my teens. I remember some passages with horrible clarity - pleople continuing running several steps after having their heads blown of and horses screaming while stepping in their own intestines and such. And mustard-gas (don't know the english name)...

I went to Verdun (France) to see some of the memorials of the great war. It was equally horrible, but I would still recomend everybody that get a chance to do the same. There were lines of crosses as far as I could see in almost every direction. There were "bajonette-graves"; where the soldiers were simply just covered with earth - their bajonettes still protruding above the ground in some places. And a memorial church built on top of the bones of thousands and thousands of unidentified bodies (with the bones neatly sorted in different piles of sculls, thigh bones and so on).

If I get the opportunity I will try to visit at least one of the concentration camps from WWII too. Some things are better not forgotten.
SLATFATF...
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Ylva, you are absolutely right. Some things should never be forgotten. I was glad that all of the kids in our high school were required to read Night this year, as the atrocities of the WW2 era must never be forgotten. The dangers of fanatacism combined with racism and violence must never be forgotten; they should never happen again.
Love as thou wilt.

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Much as I agree with you Duchess, I very much fear that they will. More than just once too.

--A

Return to “General Literature Discussion”