Orson Scott Card - Ender's Game and other great stories...

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

Recluce
Woodhelvennin

Post by Recluce »

Mr. Card wanted us to start with Red Prophet. I think there were licensing issues with Seventh Son that might be cleared up later on.
Cute and deadly, still deadly.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Fair enough I guess, if a little disappointing. Checked out the site...some interesting stuff. Artwork for RP looks pretty good.

Thanks for the info. :D

--A
Recluce
Woodhelvennin

Post by Recluce »

We fully intend to continue to adapt his books (especially if sales continue to be as good as they are now) so its possible you will see the first of the series.
Dawngreeter
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Dawngreeter »

Lady Revel wrote:I really enjoyed Ender's Shadow, it was fun to see how he portrayed the same scenes from a different perspective.
I totally agree with this. When I got to the end of the quartet (I loved the whole set ) I kinda felt like I wanted to get that same vibe that I got when I was reading Ender's Game. Then I went on to Ender's Shadow and bam, I was there again but at a different angle. It was great looking at Ender from that place. I can say that I enjoyed Ender's Shadow almost as much as I did Ender's Game. What an excellent set of books. Greatly looking forward to the brand new installments. Hopefully the movie doesn't blow.
It was the fetid halitus of the most diseased mortality condensed to its essence and elevated to the transcendence of prophecy, promise, suzerain truth—the definitive commandment of darkness.
Lady Revel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lady Revel »

Dawngreeter wrote:
Some interesting additions to the Shadow series coming down the pike,

Shadows in Flight is a yet-to-be-published science fiction novel, which will link the Bean quartet back to the Ender novels.

Ender in Exile: Ganges (working title) is an additional book to the Ender's Game series of books that will work on tying the Ender Quartet and Bean Quartet together
WOO HOO! I thought he was all done! So glad to hear there are more in planning! Thanks for letting us know about them, Dawngreeter! *grin*

HOWEVER, I have read about OSC's ideas of censorship, and I must admit, I am sorely disappointed by them.

I really enjoy his books, but the whole censorship thing sorta puts a damper on things.....

I worked in a library for years (accountant, not as a librarian) but the whole freedom of speech, press, etc is really ingrained in me now. I feel it is an important right for folks to have, and I rather resent his high handed notions.

Its a darn shame, that's all I can say. I wish I had remained ignorant of his personal leanings.....I am afraid it may keep me from enjoying his future books as much as I have the prior. :(

Post by Avatar »

It won't affect me in any way. (Nice to see you around Lady Revel...you visited and din't drop into the 'Tank? For Shame. ;) )

An author's personal beliefs and opinions don't impact on my enjoyment of his writings.

I love Kahlil Gibran, for example. The fact that he was a devout christian doesn't affect it.

Card's...what...Mormonism? has no effect either. Unless he was writing a book overtly dependant on his beliefs of course, in which case I probably wouldn't read it anyway.

--A
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

I got the 1st issue of Wyrms, and really liked it. I never saw the Red Prophet in the store, though.
Last edited by dANdeLION on Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
Recluce
Woodhelvennin

Post by Recluce »

Red Prophet sold quickly, but I think you can get both #1 and #2 from our online store.... #3 I sincerely hope will be out soon because I'm really liking the story and I'd like to see what's next.
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

SoulQuest1970 wrote: I find it amusing as a kinda sorta Catholic that was married to a former Morman. lol Card had one Catholic parent and one Mormon parent so his religious undertones amuse me.
He did? Where did you get that information (if you are still around)? I never heard anything of the sort, and I have been frequenting Card's website for a least 4 years.
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Dreaming »

I'm pretty deep into Alvin Maker right now, so I figured this thread could use a bump. I LOVE how I'm 4 books deep and still being blindsided by a lot of the cool little historical connections that he puts into the plot almost sideways. It makes hie world seem so much bigger and more alive to have these cunning little similarities stand in contrast to simple but monumental differences. I suspected that when Taleswapper was called Blake in the 3rd book, he was this man en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Blake and it was a thrill to have it confirmed in the fourth book. He may have alluded to it before though, and I'm just slow.

It actually reminds me of some of my favorite Sandman stories, that are in a historical context, and my absolute favorite issue "Four Septembers and a January" in the Distant Mirrors arc. (It's the issue about Emperor Norton I, emperor of the United States.)
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by jacob Raver, sinTempter »

Ender's Game and Speaker are two of my all-timers. Love Card, have read most of his work. I think Speaker for the Dead is a masterpiece.
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Re: article of discussion and criticism of Ender's Game

Post by thewormoftheworld'send »

taraswizard wrote:www4.ncsu.edu/~tenshi/Killer_000.htm

An article that discusses and gives some criticism to Ender's Game. The essay was written in 2004 AFAIK.
Good article about a great book. The article reminds me that although the book is a kind of morality play, the lesson is only made possible through the approval of adults in the book. And only because of the extremity of the situation they are facing from the aliens. So it is really no morality tale at all, Ender's Game is a classic "life-boat" scenario in which morality is all but thrown out the window in favor of survival. Ender just happens to be (1) innocent or perhaps naive, and he is kept naive by the adults around him; (2) he is stronger and smarter than everybody else on the "life-boat."

The author of the article states that OSC wants to generate sympathy for Ender. But that is a ploy even in the WWE. And where is the challenge in that? SRD generated sympathy for a rapist, and Ender is no rapist. Even if TC is not a rapist at heart, he is not portrayed as a nice guy. But by the end of three books SRD manages to generate sympathy for him anyway.
Tales of a Warrior-Prophet has gone Live on Amazon KDP Vella! I'm very excited to offer the first three chapters for free. Please comment, review and rate, and of course Follow to receive more episodes. Two hundred free tokens may be available for purchases. https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/episode/B09YQQYMKH

Read my Whachichun Tatanka (White Buffalo) Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blog/posts/8175040473578337186
FB: https://www.facebook.com/WhiteBuffalo.W ... unTatanka/
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/white_buffalo
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Just read Ender's Game. I don't have any idea why it's considered a masterpiece, but it was definitely a quick, fun read.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon

Post by Avatar »

There's a good thread in the Hangar about it.

I like it a lot. But I think I like Bean's perspective in Ender's Shadow more.

The next book, Speaker for the Dead is awesome on many levels.

--A
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by jacob Raver, sinTempter »

I think Ender's Game is a masterpiece in that it's one of those titles one would bring up to expound the virtues of scifi, but I wouldn't compare it to Speaker or Dune. Speaker however is nearly a masterpiece - there's a far more reflective and contemplative story within and it's also amazingly written and compelling. My fourth fav behind Dune, the Chrons. and Jurassic Park is Speaker while Ender is about my eighth.
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I bought Speaker today. Good through 45 pages. :lol:
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon

Post by Avatar »

Never read it Fist? Think you'll like it. Your kinda book.

--A
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I definitely liked it more than EG. Still, I guess it would have been better if I'd read it long ago, before I'd read things that explored concepts like "the truth shall set you free" deeper. I agreed when one character said a psychology student could have done the same thing.

Ender was extremely cool, though. He reminded me a lot of Danlo, the way he intuitively knew things.

And, of course, the mysteries of the piggies were fun to learn.

Really, both books were good, fun reads. They just didn't quite do it for me.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

Fist and Faith wrote:Just read Ender's Game. I don't have any idea why it's considered a masterpiece, but it was definitely a quick, fun read.
I just finished it. I don't get the hooplah. I just don't get it. I thought it was very young stuff. A great read for a tween. I don't know, it was just silly and superficial to me. Felt like he made a story from a video game.
The loudest truth I ever heard was the softest sound.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

lorin wrote:
Fist and Faith wrote:Just read Ender's Game. I don't have any idea why it's considered a masterpiece, but it was definitely a quick, fun read.
I just finished it. I don't get the hooplah. I just don't get it. I thought it was very young stuff. A great read for a tween. I don't know, it was just silly and superficial to me. Felt like he made a story from a video game.
Yep. The best one can say (the one being me ;)) about Ender's Game is that it is accessible. But apparently, so is Twilight.

I personally never finished it.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”