What fantasy/science fiction book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Waddley Hasselhoff wrote:Actually, I need people to read it so they can keep me updated on the story. I still care about it, and I want to know what happens without reading it. (I got to book... 9, I think)
Check out the Jordan forum in the Library. :D

--A

[EDIT: Sneaky Jay. :lol: There isn't a Jordan forum in the library anymore I suddenly see. Guess that means the threads are lying loose in this forum. Anyway, you missed the worst of the lot, Bk10. Bk11, KoD, was a vast improvement. Pity it didn't happen after, say, Bk6... :lol: )
pat5150
Giantfriend

Post by pat5150 »

Hey!

Just finshed Robin Hobb's Forest Mage. I was curious, what with all the mixed reviews about it.

Although not Hobb's best novel to date, Forest Mage is better than what a lot of people are trying to make it.

My non-spoiler book review is now on the blog, if anyone is interested.

To anyone interested in reading this book, just go into it with an open mind and don't listen to all the crap that's being said. Some will like Forest Mage and some won't. It's as simple as that... :D

Patrick
www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com
Ainulindale
Giantfriend

Post by Ainulindale »

To anyone interested in reading this book, just go into it with an open mind and don't listen to all the crap that's being said.
What exactly makes what other people say 'crap' - and what you say more relevant?

Because I have been busy with some other projects (both related to FBS and not) my readign ahs been out a standstilk in recent weeks. I'm hoping to put together a sloid month of reading and reviewing. Right now I'm finishing up the last story in Rabid Transit: Long Voyages, Great Lies, this is chapbook edited by the ratbastards (Alan DeNiro, Chris Bazrak, Kristin Livdahl) that features work by Alice Kim, Meghan McCarron, David Schwartz, F. Brett Cox, Geoffrey H. Goodwin and Heather Shaw.

I have also been going through Zoran Zivkovic's Seven Touches of Music which is beautifully presented by Aio.

I need to finished Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman by Haruki Murakami as well, and I at this point uninspired (still very early) by Hobb's Forest Mage

I have been fiendishly reading Marvel and DC's major events! :D
Latest Interview: George R.R. Martin

The Bodhisattva
Fantasybookspot.com

Check out the first issue of Heliotrope - featuring articles by R. Scott Bakker, Jeff VanderMeer and more!

"I think it's undignified to read for the purposes of escape. After you grow up, you should start reading for other purposes" - M. John Harrison

Post by Avatar »

Busy finishing up Pratchett's Last Continent again before embarking on a Dune reread, thanks to Duchess and the Hangar. :lol:

The GF is halfway through TWL, and already complaining about Linden. Needless to say, she was amused to learn of THOOLAH. :D

--A
Trapper
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Trapper »

pat5150 wrote:Hey!

Just finshed Robin Hobb's Forest Mage. I was curious, what with all the mixed reviews about it.

Although not Hobb's best novel to date, Forest Mage is better than what a lot of people are trying to make it.

My non-spoiler book review is now on the blog, if anyone is interested.

To anyone interested in reading this book, just go into it with an open mind and don't listen to all the crap that's being said. Some will like Forest Mage and some won't. It's as simple as that... :D

Patrick
I can't be bothered going back through 115 pages of this thread but Hobb's Farseer Trilogy was basically what spurred me to revisit the fantasy genre after many years.

I discovered that I still had the imagination to enjoy Fantasy in the way I desired. With greater understanding.

I loved the fact that there was no happy ending.

Or middle.

Or beginning.

I've seen Hobb's later works in a local bookstore, but I have reservations about whether they could be as good.

I should probably be posting this on another thread.
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

I have been reading Erikson's House of Chains. :)
Love as thou wilt.

Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

duchess,

Hey that's the third book in the series, yes? Is that available in the US now?
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

It is the fourth book, but so far it looks like it will continue storylines from the second book, Deadhouse Gates.

I ordered it and the fifth book, Midnight Tides from a book store out on the east coast that imports them from Britain. The internet is a joyous thing. :wink: :)

I think only the first three books plus the two novellas are officially available in the US. :? Which sucks since the author is from Canada!
Love as thou wilt.

Post by Avatar »

Dune. :D

--A
duke
Giantfriend

Post by duke »

Up to Chapter 10 of Zindell's "The Wild". Thoroughly enjoying it, yet due to my work being horrendously busy I'm barely reading 10 pages a day.
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

duchess,

Yeah that's right, I remember that the US gets his books way later than everyone else.

Av,

I really need to reread that one:
It is said of Muad'Dib that once when he saw a weed trying to grow between two rocks, he moved one of the rocks. Later, when the weed was seen to be flourishing, he covered it with the remaining rock. 'That was its fate,' he explained.
—The Commentaries, Dune

Post by Avatar »

Lord Mhoram wrote:Av,

I really need to reread that one:
It is said of Muad'Dib that once when he saw a weed trying to grow between two rocks, he moved one of the rocks. Later, when the weed was seen to be flourishing, he covered it with the remaining rock. 'That was its fate,' he explained.
—The Commentaries, Dune
Well when you do, head over to The Hangar and join us in the group read, Planetfall Arrakis. Duchess has been carrying the torch alone for long enough. ;)

--A
pat5150
Giantfriend

Post by pat5150 »

Hi guys!

Just finished Brandon Sanderson's MISTBORN: THE FINAL EMPIRE. Although it suffers from a few shortcomings, it's still a very entertaining read.:)

Check the blog for the full review!

Patrick
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

Currently reading "Hyperion" and enjoying it. Just finished "The Lies of Locke Lamora" and loved it. Tried to read "Vellum" struggled to get half way through and couldn't put up with it any longer.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

Just finished The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch, an awesomely-disorienting novel by Philip K. Dick. Very inspiring stuff for me, as I've been writing increasingly surreal stuff these days.

My current read is The Tombs of Atuan, part two of Le Guin's Earthsea cycle. Her series puts up just as good a case for clarity and simplicity as Dick puts up for complex unreality.

Post by Avatar »

:lol: Just started Wizard of EarthSea. :D

--A

Post by Avatar »

The Tombs Of Atuan

--A
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

The Tombs of Atuan was always my favourite of the Earthsea books.

Post by Avatar »

:D I'll tell you if I agree on Monday. ;) (Got the quartet in one volume the other day.)

--A
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Been a long time since I've read them. Got the 'quartet' single volume way back, from the school book club. In fact, I might have been under 10 at the time I first read the series, which is another good reason I need to reread them for a more up-to-date perspective...

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”