Ranyhyn: LFB hint to The Last Chronicles?

Book 1 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderator: dlbpharmd

Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Ranyhyn: LFB hint to The Last Chronicles?

Post by Holsety »

Well, I can't find my copy of LFB, which I believe is where the information crucial to this topic is found, so meh. Someone else will have to check if anyone wants to do close text analysis and whatnot.

Also, I'm not exactly sure whether this belongs here or in Runes, because while it's more to do with the last chronicles it's based entirely on a little bit of evidence from LFB.

Anyway, Covenant remembers that Joan was a horse breaker, and in particular her method of "breaking" them was, in his view, more like a "seduction" where she'd calm them. Or something like that, I really can't remember.

Anyway, based on my very loose memory of this, I'd guess this would be an indicator that Joan is going to be involved with the breaking/killing of the Ranyhyn. To me, at least, they've always seemed the most expressive aspect of the Land's health, more than the Bloodguard or giants who are important and yet still foreign to the land; about the only thing that comes close are the forests of the Forestals and Andelian. Thus, I feel like the breaking, or at the very least attempted breaking, of the land's beauty must in part be directed at them. Joan herself hasn't had much of a role besides creating caesures thus far, but I feel like this would fit with her somewhat.

The main weakness, even more crippling than the fact that this is based on (I believe) a single paragraph of text, is that this would've been written before SRD even knew he was going to be doing a 2nd chronicles, let alone a finishing quartet...so it's certainly not something he planned in advance. But I still feel like this would be a good (well, not good, but well done) use of one of the few things we know about Joan as a character.
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

-I would like to see this in the RUnes forum before I comment on it.
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

I just really wasn't sure if "general" Last Chronicles stuff should go into Runes. Sorry for being confused.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Holsety,

I think it's an interesting idea, one that never occurred to me. Don't worry about the right forum; the moderators will sort that out.

I'd personally love to see more out of Joan's character than catatonic psycho. It would be cool for SRD to pull from previous details, as you've suggested. I guess we'll just have to read and find out.
Buckarama
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Buckarama »

Also the point is strengthened when you consider that the Ranyhyn are probably the last expression of the earth power that hasn't been touched/currupted in the land. At the very least they are last incarnation of earth power in such a powerful form.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Everything must go. (My opinion here). It's only a matter of how. Joan may well be a central element in the demise of the Ranyhyn... I'm only sure that it will be spectacular and devastating.
Jerico
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Jerico »

I think it could be just the opposite.
Joan could be saved by the Ranyhyn. They could break her out of the Raver's grip! Make her remember who she was? :biggrin:
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Wayfriend wrote:Everything must go...I'm only sure that it will be spectacular and devastating.
--A
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

Jerico wrote:I think it could be just the opposite.
Joan could be saved by the Ranyhyn. They could break her out of the Raver's grip! Make her remember who she was? :biggrin:
That's what I was thinking...it may be possible that the Raver will see how she used to work with horses, and try to use that to his advantage; and it could just backfire.

Although currently, I don't think Joan has the brainpower to do anything other than beat herself inthe head and make ceasures.
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

This was from a while ago, but I recently began some further possible discovery, so I thought I should say so.

I asked SRD on the Grad Interview if this passage was, at the time, written with the intention of foreshadowing some sort of plot point later not used in the 1st chronicles. He's said he wasn't intending on a 2nd or 3rd chronicles, so clearly at the time of writing it wasn't foreshadowing for the 3rd chronicles, but I'm curious if there was some sort of deeper purpose intended back when he was writing LFB.
spacemonkey
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by spacemonkey »

Holsety wrote:This was from a while ago, but I recently began some further possible discovery, so I thought I should say so.

I asked SRD on the Grad Interview if this passage was, at the time, written with the intention of foreshadowing some sort of plot point later not used in the 1st chronicles. He's said he wasn't intending on a 2nd or 3rd chronicles, so clearly at the time of writing it wasn't foreshadowing for the 3rd chronicles, but I'm curious if there was some sort of deeper purpose intended back when he was writing LFB.
Or perhaps we overlook the obvious in our discussions,maybe SRD saw an opportunity to expand an idea he liked.....I mean really,it IS SRD'S universe here!!
There is one Law
that the Wild Magic
can Destroy or Maintain
for good or ill
BE TRUE!!!

Floating High But I'm Always Down......
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

The first chronicles deals with breaking of the Law.
The second chronicles deals with corruption of Earthpower.
The third seems to deal with warping time.

Now the Ranyhyn are creatures of time but they had their setback in the ancient past.

Foul attacks objects of structure.

The third chronicle is set during a period where Foul is not in complete control. It seems he has competition from someone or thing that if it has it's way then Foul may be trapped forever in the Land. So he helped Joan escape from the masters. He wants her to do a task so he can control whatever is occuring to his advantage. He is egotical and manipulates everything he sees. He is not all powerful while in the Land shown from the previous battles with Kevin and Covenent. He also won't use the ceasures because he can cause a paradox if he goes back in time. He also may be bound to travel along the Land's timeline. But he can manipulate it by sending someone else back. Someone who can act out his plans to give him control. He tried to escape by sheer force over the Arch. This time he may want to bend it so he can escape.
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
spacemonkey
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by spacemonkey »

[quote="Ur Dead"]The first chronicles deals with breaking of the Law.
The second chronicles deals with corruption of Earthpower.
The third seems to deal with warping time.

That's a very strong maybe though,I'm beginning to see that.But then again we need to see the next book to really know for sure......... ;)
There is one Law
that the Wild Magic
can Destroy or Maintain
for good or ill
BE TRUE!!!

Floating High But I'm Always Down......

Return to “The Runes of the Earth”