Who will Linden Be?

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

Tjol
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Tjol »

The vader avatar gave me a laugh 'NOOOOO' .

I don't see any problem with LA in the series though. Yes, I guess it does kind of ding the whole 'maybe the land exists maybe it doesn't' thing, because now TC can talk to someone with a similar frame of reference, but otherwise I don't see what else can be complained about.

The heroes in the first trilogy were the people who sacraficed to assist TC more than TC himself in my opinion. I'm not sure if LA is supposed to be more like TC (a foil for the characters of the land to look more noble in comparison to) or if LA is supposed to be more like the characters of the land (made to look noble by being compared and contrasted with TC), but either way, I don't think her presence in the second trilogy did any harm to the story.
burgs
The Gap Into Spam

Post by burgs »

I think her presence in The Wounded Land enabled Donaldson to tell the story. Ask him if he could have done it without her. You know what he'll say. "No."

By extension, I think her presence in the Second Chronicles enabled Donaldson to tell that story. TC could not have achieved what he did without Linden's special gifts. There's no way he could have stopped Foul and healed the land at the same time.

Frankly, I think she's a great character, and I thought it was a testimony to Donaldson's skill as a storyteller that I was completely engrossed in Runes even though TCs presence was felt for - overall - less than a page.

That said, I can't wait until he returns. That is, if he does. Donaldson likes to mess with us almost as much as Daniel Handler (Lemony Snicket), only Donaldson doesn't publish "side" books to help us pick up the clues to the essential mysteries that we missed.
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." (Anais Nin)
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Good post Burgs. :D

--A
burgs
The Gap Into Spam

Post by burgs »

Thanks Av!

Did anyone read the UK spoiler and think:
Spoiler
Oh good lord. The krill again? Thank God Loric made that nifty little blade. What would SRD have done without it??
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I did - especially
Spoiler
since SRD was so clear in WGW that the krill was lifeless.
burgs
The Gap Into Spam

Post by burgs »

But...
Spoiler
IMR, the light of the krill died out when Sunder stabbed Caer-Caveral - i.e., the power of the person using it died, when there was no more music in Andelain to channel or whatever. The krill is still capable of wielding any might. Right? Or did I read that wrong?
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

Actually..I was too bothered by That Thing..since the ol' Illearth stone made it usuall apearance in Runes
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
burgs
The Gap Into Spam

Post by burgs »

Right - I was too, with the Illearth Stone. Not to be critical, but I couldn't help thinking - isn't there something else you can use??
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

Well you could look at it that way, and it's difficult not to...but what it there was another bane that he just invented for the last Chrons...it would seem kind of cheesy; if Foul just brought up his Staff of UnLaw for example, we would be wondering why he never used that before.

Obviously the Illearth stone is the most Evil Bane in the Earth...and Covenant was able to destroy it...so anything less would be pointless.

I guess it's the same with the Krill (and the Staff of Law for that matter)

The SOL is the Primo peice of Law ever, and the Krill ..well it was strong enough to deffend Glimmermere against the Sunbane, and Linden knows about it..so what else should she look for?
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
burgs
The Gap Into Spam

Post by burgs »

I guess that's what SRD would refer to as "efficient writing", perhaps. Only creating what he needs to tell the story.

There was mention of *many* banes in the Earth, and I thought (I could be wrong) that someone (in the Chrons) said there were more powerful banes in the Earth.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

The Worm springs to mind. :)

Re Linden, the problem is obvious: You can't have a Tarzan book with Jane as the main character!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
burgs
The Gap Into Spam

Post by burgs »

You could if Tarzan popped into her head every now and then, and made an appearance *somewhere*.
Sunbaneglasses
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sunbaneglasses »

Who will Linden be?Lordess Foul.
Vain19
Stonedownor

Post by Vain19 »

unfortunately i don't think covenant will return to the hero role... of course i didn't read the spoiler so i may be stating the obvious, but tc did say "remember that i'm dead". and foul has used reanimation of the dead in the past, so i'm not convinced with tc's reapearence is even close to being legit. obvious i know.
"Old Gregg, legendary fish. Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say it's more of a seventy- thirty split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard."
Vain19
Stonedownor

Post by Vain19 »

but i can see linden being lordess foul... maybe the people of the land will save their own asses this time
"Old Gregg, legendary fish. Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say it's more of a seventy- thirty split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard."
burgs
The Gap Into Spam

Post by burgs »

I think it would be quite funny if Linden is the main character for all four books.
Buckarama
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Buckarama »

Well get ready to laugh Burgs, because that's exactly what's going to happen. :)
burgs
The Gap Into Spam

Post by burgs »

That's kinda my thought. So...Linden haters...will you still buy the books if Linden is the mc in all of them?
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

;)
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

burgs wrote: So...Linden haters...will you still buy the books if Linden is the MC in all of them?
Just had a vision of Linden announcing the members of a wedding party, and all the people who will toast the bride.
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar

Return to “Fatal Revenant”