Little Big Man
The Good, The Bad and the Ugly
Shane
Pale Rider
________

Blazing Saddles
Three Amigos
Westworld
Wild Wild West - Used to love the television show when I was a kid. Horrified when I watched the feature film.
"I think and feel everything aTOMiC does only slower."
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Yeah Av, both The Sacketts and The Shadow Riders were TV movies with Tom Selleck and Sam Elliot.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

:lol: I had no idea. Any particular Sackett story? Or just a generic mish-mash of the idea?

--A
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

www.imdb.com/title/tt0079840/

Check it out, I really enjoyed it.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Sounds great. And one of the best of the novels too. (Although my favourite was The Sackett Brand I think.)

Well, not much chance I'll ever come across it here, but if I do, I'll definitely be watching it. You never know. (Must tell my father about it, he has every Louis L'Amour novel ever published...I grew up on that stuff. :lol: )

--A
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

How could I forget.....

Quigley Down Under
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

The Man from Snowy River
The Day They Shot Liberty Valance
Cat Ballou :P

too much Selleck action going on for me 8)

Those movies above I really enjoyed...I don't know why I put The Searchers out there I guess I glanced at a couple of lists and saw it was #1 on most...I remember almost everything I've ever seen--but I don't remember much at all about that one-Heck, pilgrim, I even remember the dumbass Rio Bravo in fairly vivid detail and even tho 100 Rifles sucked there's a distinct reason why men remember it :wink: .

If you get a chance watch The Hi-Lo Country filmed in NM, written by Max Evans-great cast: Woody Harrelson, Billy Crudup, Patricia Arquette, Sam Eliot, Penelope Cruz, James Gammon...(and Fist will love that the guy who played Ed on Northern Exposure has one of the greatest scenes in the movie, "I'll slit ya like a lizard!" 8) )

Tom Berenger actually made two very good westerns: The Avenging Angel where he plays one of Brigham Young's hitmen-don't laugh it's pretty damm good and Return of the Dogmen.

OOPs! Just thought of two more good ones:
McCabe and Mrs. Miller (Warren Beatty and Julie Christie, I believe)
and Luci and Syl would probably slit me if I didn't mention Deadman.

If you want a real bizzare double feature watch Deadman followed by Grimm's Pairie Tales-3 or four nasty/horrorish tales-but very realistic...
Last edited by danlo on Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
fall far and well Pilots!
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Cail wrote:How could I forget.....

Quigley Down Under
Good call!
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

I would say I never truly appreciated the value of the Western until I saw Unforgiven. Before then, I saw the Western as as an outdated thing that was irrelevant to me, since I had grown up spoiled by sci-fi and fantasy. The one exception was Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid, which I enjoyed because it seemed different from the "typical" Western I was biased against.

However, it was Unforgiven that made me properly respect what the Western genre was capable of. As a kid, I had seen bits of Clint Eastwood's spaghetti westerns on TV, but Unforgiven was the complete package that connected all the dots. I could more fully understand how each of his Westerns was like a piece of the puzzle that added up to the Man With No Name. So in other words, Eastwood is my favorite Western dude.
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

danlo wrote:McCabe and Mrs. Miller (Warren Beatty and Julie Christie, I believe)
Yes, those are the actors. I clearly haven't watched enough westerns but this is one I have seen.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Another fairly good one is The Left Handed Gun (1958) with Paul Newman as Billy the Kid. The Long Riders is good too--with the Carradine bros, the Keach bros, The Quaid bros and the Guest bros-covers the Younger gang...
Last edited by danlo on Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Open Range with Kevin Costner and Robert Duvall is really good.
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

Two not mentioned that I really liked:

"My Name is Nobody" (Il Mio nome è Nessuno) ... Terrance Hill and Henry Fonda (great mix of humour and pathos)

"Ravenous" A western with a horror twist, starring Guy Pierce.
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

All the Tombstone fans'll appreciate this.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1iPPKoqTTQ
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Christ I love that movie! Powers Booth! Forgot for a minute that he was in there! And sorry: Cail mentioned The Long Riders first-kudos! 8)
Elfgirl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Elfgirl »

Fistful of Dollars
Hang 'Em High
The Outlaw Josey Wales

anything with Clint Eastwood basically! :P
ImageImageImage
"Right away would be good. Right now would be better"
-- Nick Succorso

OK, so what's the speed of dark?- Larry the Cable Guy
Encryptic
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Encryptic »

Funny you should mention Westerns...

I can't ever remember watching a Western before (and I've seen God knows how many movies in my life), but I just watched Sergio Leone's Dollars trilogy over the course of last week. Fantastic movies all around.

I also watched Tombstone on Saturday and I have to agree: Val Kilmer makes the movie as Doc Holliday. I wish he had more scenes, but it's still a great movie. :biggrin:
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

Yah, Val does a great job, but I really think Kurt Russell is underrated in this film. He does a great job, but is often overlooked because his character is more introverted, and Doc's is more extrovert. Russell does a great job!

And Encryptic, if you liked the Fist full of Dollars/Few Dollars More, etc... check out the original: Yojimbo (a Japanese samurai pick based upon teh old western ideas) ... and it's sequal, Sanjuro (my fave). The Samuari With No Name... Toshiro Mifune is excellent!
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I've fought a losing battle over Russell's performance in Tombstone for years. His simmering portrayal of Earp is spectacular, especially when he loses it on the train platform "....Right behind you Ike!"

The man nearly has smoke coming out of his ears.

But then again, I think Kurt Russell is one of the most underrated actors of our time.
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

There are some great westerns out there. Some of my favs have already been mentioned

Outlaw Josie Wales
Tombstone
The Cowboys
True Grit
Rooster Cogburn
Quigly Down Under
Monte Walsh

There are so many more that are great....
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image

Return to “Flicks”