Westerns

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

Encryptic
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Encryptic »

Usivius wrote:Yah, Val does a great job, but I really think Kurt Russell is underrated in this film. He does a great job, but is often overlooked because his character is more introverted, and Doc's is more extrovert. Russell does a great job!

And Encryptic, if you liked the Fist full of Dollars/Few Dollars More, etc... check out the original: Yojimbo (a Japanese samurai pick based upon teh old western ideas) ... and it's sequal, Sanjuro (my fave). The Samuari With No Name... Toshiro Mifune is excellent!
You're the second person to tell me I should watch Yojimbo after I mentioned watching the Dollars trilogy (on a different forum...). ;)

I liked Kurt Russell's performance as well.

"You going to do something or just stand there and bleed?"
Kil Tyme
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Kil Tyme »

Elfgirl wrote:Fistful of Dollars
Hang 'Em High
The Outlaw Josey Wales

anything with Clint Eastwood basically! :P
Now there ya go! Josey Wales is probably the best Western ever.

My list also includes:

Pale Rider
High Planes Drifter
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
Once Upon a Time in the West

and the made for tv western "Conagher".
Cowboy: Why you doin' this, Doc?
Doc Holliday: Because Wyatt Earp is my friend.
Cowboy: Friend? Hell, I got lots of friends.
Doc Holliday: ... I don't.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I have and odd question re: Wyatt Earp...while I really liked Costner and Quaid...I was watching it on TV last night but missed part of the ending, due to my internet backgammon game and kids running amok, did they ever actually SHOW the shootout at the OK Corral or just assume that everyone knew what happened? :?
fall far and well Pilots!
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Heh....I've been unable to sit through that movie.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I'm kinda starting to agree...I saw it before Tombstone so liked it for that at the time-too heavy on the relationships, Powers Booth blows this Johnny Ringo away and no OK Corral? Or am I still mistaken, and, as well :P
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Never seen it, so can't tell you. Reading through this thread again, I see Dlb mentioned the series Lonesome Dove.

I gotta say that I gave that one top marks for historical accuracy. Everything was right for the time period and area, from the guns to the reins. Something you don't often see in things like that.

--A
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I used to have Wyatt Earp on VHS but it's been years since I've seen it and I can't remember if the OK Corral scene is there or not.

I have the Eastwood/Leone spaghetti westerns on my DVR right now but just can't bring myself to watch them - are they really worth my time?
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Dear God yes DLB!

Danlo, Powers Boothe played Curly Bill, Michael Biehn played Johnny Ringo.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

C'mon people... has no one seen "My Name Is Nobody"..?
Or is it that no one has anything good to say about it?...
;) :lol:

It is one of my favourites to watch. I recognize it is not a "great movie", but it is fun to watch and Fonda's character is so honestly portrayed.
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Nope, haven't seen it.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Dear God yes DLB!
OK then.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Thanks Cail! I stand corrected, in anycase the "bad" characters in Tombstone are much more compelling than Earp's, except for Indian Charlie, but he doesn't say all that much... :P
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I think I've said this before, but I believe that Tombstone is damn near the perfect Western. No, it's not completely accurate, but that's OK, it's not billed as a documentary. As much as I liked Unforgiven, Open Range, and The Outlaw Josey Wales, I think Tombstone stands above them. The performances are spectacular, especially Val Kilmer, the cinematography is stunning, and the story's compelling. Unforgiven may be a "deeper" film, but I know which one I choose to watch more often.

Just to gush here, I really can't say enough about Kilmer's performance in Tombstone. I think it's one of the strongest performances in any genre ever captured on celluloid, and it's a crime he wasn't even nominated for an Oscar. In fact, the whole cast (which is nothing but B-list actors and actresses) does a remarkable job, and it's a shame that they (and everyone else involved in Tombstone) didn't/don't get the recognition they deserve.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

You need to watch the Hi-Lo Country one of these days...thou I'm not even sure it's on DVD, pity...
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Nah, it's not.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Definitely agree re: Tombstone and especially Val "I'm your huckleberry" Kilmer.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

"I'm your huckleberry."
Rawedge Rim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rawedge Rim »

Usivius wrote:C'mon people... has no one seen "My Name Is Nobody"..?
Or is it that no one has anything good to say about it?...
;) :lol:

It is one of my favourites to watch. I recognize it is not a "great movie", but it is fun to watch and Fonda's character is so honestly portrayed.
and I think the sequal was "My name is still Trinity" or something to that affect.
“One accurate measurement is worth a
thousand expert opinions.”
- Adm. Grace Hopper

"Whenever you dream, you're holding the key, it opens the the door to let you be free" ..RJD
Rawedge Rim
The Gap Into Spam

Favorite Westerns

Post by Rawedge Rim »

Outlaw Josie Wales (Next fave)
The Unforgiven
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
The Searchers (absolute fave)
El Dorado
Open Range
The Sacketts
The Cowboys
True Grit

(got a lot of John Wayne going there, but what the hey, he was the man)
“One accurate measurement is worth a
thousand expert opinions.”
- Adm. Grace Hopper

"Whenever you dream, you're holding the key, it opens the the door to let you be free" ..RJD
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

You know, it's funny, I never really got into the Wayne movies.

Return to “Flicks”