Marshall Rogers - RIP

Look! Up in the sky! *To be continued...* (This story continued in KW Comics #263)

Moderators: dANdeLION, aTOMiC, sgt.null

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Marshall Rogers - RIP

Post by Avatar »

Batman comic book artist dies

Fremont - Marshall Rogers, a comic book artist remembered for bringing a film noir feel and an architect's eye to Batman comics in the 1970s, died unexpectedly at his home, according to his sister. He was 57.

Rogers, who took over work on Batman for DC Comics in 1977, creating editions that were prized by collectors, died either on Friday night or Saturday morning. Autopsy results to determine the cause and time of his death were pending.

Rogers was "one of the radical young stylists bringing new looks to DC in the '70s," said DC Comics President Paul Levitz, who was a writer when Rogers joined the comic book company.

Rogers, born Jan. 22, 1950, in Flushing, New York, and raised in Ardsley, New York, studied architecture at Kent State University in Ohio. His training showed in his realistic, detailed renditions of Gotham City, collaborators said.

'Very real fantasy world'

"He drew a total fantasy world, but he wanted it to be a very real fantasy world," said writer Steve Englehart, whose ambitious dialogue and romantic subplots gave voice to Rogers' illustrations. "It was very striking, it jumped off the page."

Together, Englehart and Rogers produced only six issues, but the works became a reference for future comic artists, and favourites with Batman fans.

Rogers also drew other characters, including the Silver Surfer, Mister Miracle, Dr. Strange, Iron Fist and G.I. Joe. He created two characters, Cap'n Quick and A Foozle.

Batman was his favourite character, though, and when he was tapped to draw the Caped Crusader "he was on top of the world," Rogers' younger sister, Suzanne Schmachtenberger, said.

After a stint with the video game industry in the 1990s, Rogers turned back to comics. A Batman project with Englehart and artist Terry Austin was in the works when Rogers died.
--A
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

His was great stuff, I remember it well. Godspeed, Mr. Rogers.

www.eeweems.com/artandartifice/marshall_rogers.html
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

He did Some Enchanted Evening? That was certainly a classic. I don't remember many individual stories, but I remember that one.

--A
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Man. I really loved his Mr. Miracle and Doctor Strange runs.

Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

His runs in Dr. Strange and the Silver Surfer are both among my favorite comics. Rogers was excellent!!
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon

Return to “dANdeLION's Comics Cave”