What fantasy/science fiction book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

gyrehead
Woodhelvennin

Post by gyrehead »

That quote made me think that maybe Banks won't be writing any more Culture novels, as it's at the beginning of Consider Phlebas as well. I had thought that they could go on indefinitely, as he can practically come up with any premise and insert Special Circumstances as appropriate, though he might feel he was reworking an old idea. Certainly, The Algebraist was very good indeed, so maybe it is time to put the Culture down for a bit.
At least until the next one due out in early 2008 :wink:
Tjol
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Tjol »

I just finished up the Book of the New Sun series. I don't know if I'll be reading any fiction for a little bit now though, I seem to be on a history fix. :)
"Humanity indisputably progresses, but neither uniformly nor everywhere"--Regine Pernoud

You work while you can, because who knows how long you can. Even if it's exhausting work for less pay. All it takes is the 'benevolence' of an incompetant politician or bureaucrat to leave you without work to do and no paycheck to collect. --Tjol
pat5150
Giantfriend

Post by pat5150 »

I just finished reading Carrie Vaughn's latest Kitty novel.

Fun, fast-paced, engaging and entertaining, Kitty Takes a Holiday should not disappoint fans of the series thus far.

Check the blog for the full review...

Patrick
www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Ringworld - Larry Niven.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

Cart and Cwidder by Dianna Wynne Jones (a hand-me-down from a friend)

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Loremaster wrote:Ringworld - Larry Niven.
Classic.

--A
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

picked up some Glen Cook a few weeks ago but haven't had much time to read it.

i'm about a third of the way through Sweet Silver Blues and i also bought The Tyranny of the Night which i'm looking forward to.
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Lucimay wrote:picked up some Glen Cook a few weeks ago but haven't had much time to read it.

i'm about a third of the way through Sweet Silver Blues and i also bought The Tyranny of the Night which i'm looking forward to.
AWESOME! Glen Cook is one of my favorite (top 5) authors ever.

They're finally reprinting some of his older work that's been unavailable for a long time.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

gyrehead
Woodhelvennin

Post by gyrehead »

What's odd about Cook for me is that I think his early work is actually stronger than his latter work. The Instrumentalities of the Night series is decent and entertaining, but it also is extemely flawed in places and could use tighter editing and re-writing. Same goes for the Black Compnay books. As the series progresses I found it less enthralling. Going back and reading his Dread Empire works in the two new Night Shade Omnibii, and they really hold up not just in time but against his own work.
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

welp, i didn't research what to get, just happened by that section and decided to look at some Cook as many folks had recommended him to me so i picked two that looked interesting to me. i like detective fiction and was actually looking for Harry Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat but the Garret book looked amusing so i bought it. it's pretty standard detective fare thus far, excepting the characters are gnomes and wizards and the like.

a really good postmodern piece of sci-fi/fantasy/detective fiction is Jonathan Lethem's Gun with Occasional Music.
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Just finished The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester on the plane--haven't even looked at it in 35 years! Dang this is SUCH a good book--can't believe it was writen in the mid '50s!! Timeless! Gully Foyle RULES!!!! 8) 8) Now I need to find his The Demolished Man (which won the first Hugo and, of which, I have never read...)
fall far and well Pilots!
Encryptic
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Encryptic »

gyrehead wrote:What's odd about Cook for me is that I think his early work is actually stronger than his latter work. The Instrumentalities of the Night series is decent and entertaining, but it also is extemely flawed in places and could use tighter editing and re-writing. Same goes for the Black Compnay books. As the series progresses I found it less enthralling. Going back and reading his Dread Empire works in the two new Night Shade Omnibii, and they really hold up not just in time but against his own work.
I haven't read any of the Black Company books, so I can't comment on those myself...

The two Instrumentalities books in the series are pretty good so far in terms of the plot, but Cook's writing style leaves a lot to be desired. Definitely agree that it needs much tighter editing and writing.

As far as what I'm reading: Just finished Scar Night by Alan Campbell. Good debut novel and I'm looking forward to the followup book.

Just started Jeffrey Ford's The Girl In The Glass earlier today. Enjoying it so far.
Encryptic
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Encryptic »

Finished The Girl In The Glass and I'm currently reading The Orphan's Tales: In The Night Garden by Catherynne M. Valente.
duke
Giantfriend

Post by duke »

I've started my (or I should say Roland's) journey to the Dark Tower. The Gunslinger by Stephen King. Loving it so far - post-apocalyptic Western with attitude and atmosphere. And its old-school King - the prose crackles! :)
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Is this your first time?

Man. It's amazing.
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.

Post by Avatar »

:lol: It's old-school King because he wrote that book in the 70's ;)

Join us in the King forum when you're done. :D

--A
pat5150
Giantfriend

Post by pat5150 »

Just finished Tad Williams' Shadowplay and I'm a bit disappointed.

While it's untrue that nothing happens in this book, it is undeniable that nothing major occurs. All the good stuff seems to have been reserved for the last volume, Shadowrise.

Check the blog for the full review!

Patrick
www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

I'm starting Warday by Whitley Strieber and James Kunetka. It looks really good, I loved Natures End, at least as much as someone can love it.
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

I just started "Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrel" by Susannah Clarke. I've aways had very little desire to read this book but Inchoatus.com gave it a good review and I trust their recommendations implicity. Some of the best and most accurate reviews of speculative fiction on the web today!
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill

Post by Avatar »

*shrug* I read it because people here had enjoyed it, and I found a copy for a bargain price. It wasn't what I was expecting at all.

Not bad, but it's one I'll only be rereading when I'm really strapped for books. :lol:

--A

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”