Clarifying and stuff

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

taraswizard
<i>Haruchai</i>

Clarifying and stuff

Post by taraswizard »

Your local INFP returns to this thread.

MBTI, or similar intruments are frequently used by managment team builders or career consuelors, and sometimes is ethically questionable ways. For example, telling an mid-level engineer that he cannot move into an entry level sales position for the same company because his MBT is not compatible with sales. FYI, this has been done.

Next point the MBTI, unlike other type of psychological tools, has been standardized and normalized (statistical terms) on non-pathological populations. Counter example, MMPI (Minnesota MultiPhasic Personality Inventory) another sort of self assessment personality test has only been standardized on pathological populations. MBTI is not a tool to measure a psychopathology, so the fact that some of the questions are identical to questions to self assess adult ADD or adult ADHD are meritless and off the point.
Allan Rosewarne
taraswizard Essence of Amber
Buffy fans Chicago
W/T they are forever
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

I'm not a fan of standardised "normalised" tests. I think they miss the very point of trying to understand a person.

Apart form that brief comment, I gotta say I'm not sure what you're saying here? That you believe this MBTI to be an inadequate tool?

That its application is unethical?

--A

Return to “General Discussion Forum”