"what's the deal with Jeremiah's red car?"

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

Man, I just love this emoticon! ( :rocket: ) It should represent me wanting to blast the crap out of something, but all it does is make me laugh myself to death! :haha: :screwy: :haha:

If self-crushing is this funny, then may I forever crush myself in increasingly novel ways!!! :trout: :throwup: :hithead:
Krilly
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Krilly »

Wha' the hell at the tuna slap one... o_O
Mortice Root
Bloodguard

Post by Mortice Root »

It's probably just 'cause my son has been watching a lot of the Wiggles lately, but I can't read about the race car without hearing "Toot, toot, chugga, chugga, big red car!" in my head. :lol:

If you don't know the song, be thankful. Very thankful.
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

Oh My Gosh!! I just figure it out!!

SRD is taking a kickbak from the an auto maker!!

You know.. the one that sings.

Zoom... Zoom... Zoom

/runs.
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Krilly, the tuna-slapping emoticon is, I believe, in tribute to that immortal Monty Python classic, "The Fisch Schlapping Dance."

I love the lead/tin alloy thing. Too funny! :lol: But now I'm worried that at the end of The Last Dark, Jeremiah is going to somehow make that little crumpled car expand in size, and everybody's going to pile into it -- like a clown car! -- and that's how they'll all escape the last dark! Or -- no, wait! I know! -- he won't make the car get big, he'll make himself and Linden and TC get reeeeeal smallllll.....

Nah, probably not.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

Krilly wrote
Wha' the hell at the tuna slap one... o_O
The tuna slap guy is meant to represent getting crushed (ok, not self crushed, but there's no emoticon where a face is poking itself with a tuna).
I mean, can you imagine getting poked in the face with a nasty ass dead tuna fish? Seems pretty crushing to me!

aliantha wrote:
Krilly, the tuna-slapping emoticon is, I believe, in tribute to that immortal Monty Python classic, "The Fisch Schlapping Dance."
If only my references were that intentional! :roll:
Mr. Broken
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Mr. Broken »

I suspect we may already have the hint as to the cars power, and why he clings to it, perhaps even to why the Croyel crushed and dropped it. In the real world the boy is severely autistic and unable to express himself, except through abstract lego creations, but in the land he is responsive , social ( now I know any one who wants to argue is going to say that its the Croyels effect on him), but consider his power "doorways", is it possible that the toy car is the "key" to the boys lock.
Wide Eyed Stupid
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Something Broken wrote:( now I know any one who wants to argue is going to say that its the Croyels effect on him)
Indeed, they would argue that when Linden was shown "the truth", Jeremiah was as unresponsive as ever.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

wayfriend wrote:
Something Broken wrote:( now I know any one who wants to argue is going to say that its the Croyels effect on him)
Indeed, they would argue that when Linden was shown "the truth", Jeremiah was as unresponsive as ever.
And they would be correct to do so.
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

Ok.. a serious note..

The car could have some form of white gold embedded onto it for decorations or manufacturing purposes.

and I am referencing the threqd that has this page as a source.

gizmodo.com/357377/140000-hot-wheels-is-most-expensive-tiny-toy-car-ever
The car has 2,700 blue, black, and white diamonds covering its 18-karat white gold frame. The blue diamonds are used to mimic the Hot Wheels Spectraframe blue paint, while black and white diamonds cover the underbelly and for the engine. For the brake lights, they used rubies.
Jeremiah's toy may have trace amounts of white gold.. Alot of consumer products do have some forms of gold in them.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

OK, but for what possible purpose? It seems to me that 2 white gold wielders are enough.
Last edited by dlbpharmd on Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

Jeremiah is able to manipulate the Wild Magic to create doors and travel time and distances. Not as prolific as how the Creator can used it. But in his mind Jeremiah could be considered a savant. Which the the croyel is exploiting. But White Gold is needed as the trigger. SRD never stated how much of the metal was needed but White Gold is access to the Wild Magic. It's the power that been stated to destroy peace, but it was used to create the World.

I am concluding that the power Jeremiah is using is Wild Magic. It is the only ready source that been proven to create as well as destroy. The Earthpower can create things(Amok) but can it affect the Elohim like the books(Jeremiah doors) refer to? Maybe it's a power along what the viles use(or ur-viles in making Vain) But it took Wild Magic to create(join Vain & Findail) the second staff of law. So I'll let my assumption stand.
Seppi2112
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Seppi2112 »

Jermiah doesn't use wild magic, he creates constructs (a la Vain) while Roger used Kastenessen's Elohim powers (a la Findail).

Roger told us they were bending time because he was pretending to be TC, but there was never REALLY any wild magic involved in their actions.
<i>"Kupo?"</i>
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

The car is the Elohim trap we were told about. It's kinda like at the circus when they fit all those clowns in a VW Beetle.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

:D
SGuilfoyle1966
Giantfriend

Post by SGuilfoyle1966 »

SRD does nothing without purpose. I think we can also be too much in awe of his prowess that everything is a white gold ring.
Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar.
But I think this has emotional pegs, emotional import.
It was the first thing in the real world he reacted to, the thing he grabbed when in danger, the thing he left behind when he saw Linden again.
I think the croyel crushed it because he knew it meant some kind of connect to the boy inside the autistic body, knew it might hurt Linden, weaken her somewhat.
And if that's the croyel's motive for crushing and dumping it, I fully expect SRD to shove it back up the croyel's craw. It is sharp now. Perhaps the thing that severs the croyel from Jeremiah, in a physical sense?
Do, or do not. There is no try.
I think you like me because I'm a scoundrel.
Irishman and Gamecock fan
Rocksister
Giantfriend

Post by Rocksister »

The car has something to do with time travel, and/or with travel between the "real" world and The Land. I saw it in my orcrest........
Heard my ears aright? Did not the gaddhi grant me this glaive?

One must have strength to judge the weakness of others. I am not so mighty. Lord Mhoram in TIW
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

Really? Your crystal ball is showing something different than mine. The Ranyhyn told me they're getting tired of this "being anywhere when needed" thing... having to leave months early to get somewhere.

Now that there are cars in the Land, it'll be much easier for them.
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

Krilly
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Krilly »

Fist and Faith wrote:The car is the Elohim trap we were told about. It's kinda like at the circus when they fit all those clowns in a VW Beetle.
Haha! Makes me wonder though... perhaps this truly explains why Roger and the croyel are never troubled by the Elohim. There has to be a reason the croyel has Jeremiah hold on to it.
sweetbread
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by sweetbread »

Mr. Broken wrote: but consider his power "doorways", is it possible that the toy car is the "key" to the boys lock.
Which would make it IMPOSSIBLE for Roger and Jeremiah to leave as they had planned, now that
Spoiler
the Worm is awake.....

Return to “Fatal Revenant”