What was Thomas Covenant's biggest lucky break?

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Now that I think of it one of TC's lucky breaks was that he wasn't just left with Drool Rockwork when he as translated or the fact that he didn't just freaking fall off Kevin's Watch in wild fit of vertigo. Being a butt head and still managing to get help and kindness is always very lucky.TC was just one lucky SOB all around.

Except for all those very unlucky things that happened to him as well.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Post by Blackhawk »

I have to think the luckiest break he got was when Atiaran prevented Triock from killing TC with his knife. TC would have made his way off the watch eventually...and probably starved to death but not likely with Aliantha everywhere. the luckiest break on the end of the 1st chronicles would be when the Jeherrin pulled him and Foamfollower under the mud into their caves. and there was ALOT of luck in between,
Damack
Servant of the Land

Post by Damack »

I think his biggest lucky break was when Lena saved him during the winter storm and he broke his ankle in the process. Lena died and he was alone in the storm until the Unfettered one came upon him (or he found her, can't remember) and was ultimately saved so he could continue and fight Foul.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Welcome, Damack!

I hope you'll introduce yourself a bit over in the Summonsing forum.

If we're shooting for luckiest break, I'd go with the jheherrin. What were the odds that they'd jump into quicksand on the way to Foul's Creche?
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

Covenant's biggest 'lucky' break, even before Lena shows up, is that Foul thought he could use him in some way and therefore didn't kill him then and there, even though the Creator ("my Enemy") had chosen Covenant for his own purposes.

After all, according to him, if Foul did nothing, then in just over 2 years the universe would be "a hell forever".

I just started re-reading for the third time and I am really intrigued-- what did Foul hope to gain by sending Covenant on the errand to the Council? :?:
You bet your sweet bippy!!! :mad:
FF, like WOW are you dating yourself. Even sadder is that I remember watching that, first-run. 8O
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

Foul hoped to gain mastery over the White Gold.

Defeating the Land is Okay for Foul, but it wouldn't free him.

Cove helping thing along too...if he never fathered Elena, the Law of Death would ont have been broken; and that was a big bonus for FOul too.
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

wayfriend wrote:If we're shooting for luckiest break, I'd go with the jheherrin
I said it first! :| (sorry, I had a big need to do that and you just happened to be there! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: )
fall far and well Pilots!
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

danlo wrote:
wayfriend wrote:If we're shooting for luckiest break, I'd go with the jheherrin
I said it first! :| (sorry, I had a big need to do that and you just happened to be there! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: )
Some call that "agreeing" ... :wink:
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

Either the jheherrin, or when Earthrock is destroyed by the battle between Kevin and Elena, and somehow the water finds a path that isn't too dangerous, so that Bannor can keep TC alive until they escape the mtn.
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

ellll
Stonedownor

Post by ellll »

I must agree with Damack...,

The death of Lena and the broken ankle led him to...his death as well; but it was foiled by the ancient Unfettered One who took his hurts..and his death upon herself, therefore allowing his ultimate victory.

It is also for me, one of the most powerful and beautiful sections in the series.

Johnny (ellll) :roll:
Rocksister
Giantfriend

Post by Rocksister »

Lucky that he married someone who "preferred white gold." :)
Heard my ears aright? Did not the gaddhi grant me this glaive?

One must have strength to judge the weakness of others. I am not so mighty. Lord Mhoram in TIW
SleeplessOne
<i>Haruchai</i>

What was Thomas Covenant's biggest lucky break?

Post by SleeplessOne »

I always thought it was a stroke of luck that saw TC and party bump into a group of Giants in the middle of the Sarangrave, right as they were being beset by skest ..
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

Oh yea... I was only thinking about the first Chrons.

That the Graveler of Mithil Stonedown happened to be the son of the one person in the Land who still remembered Covenant is another lucky break.
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”