Holy Crepuscular Chapter Batman!

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:I will give Malik credit for the following quote regarding that chapter for the rest of my life.
It is awesome.
Sometimes if I just think of it I start laughing.

"The only thing missing was Foul showing up with a giant sledgehammer!"

:lol:
You should make it your signature, like Lucimay! :D If I can get everyone to use my quotes as signatures, my purpose here will be complete. :)

Thinking back on my comment, I couldn't remember why I said, "sledgehammer," then I went back, read it, and think I was trying to set up the next sentence about Sandgorgons . . .
I wrote:
Fist and Faith wrote: I cheered loudest when Linden said, "Nom! We need you!"
I'm probably the only person here who did not cheer when this happened. The battle of the First Woodhelven was the most piled-on collection of Donaldsonian archetypes as I've ever seen. Just before the sandgorgons showed up, I was thinking: my god, what next? Foul himself striding into battle with a giant sledgehammer? And then we have the Land's equivalent of a sledgehammer: sandgorgons out of nowhere. People complain about the Insequent being a deus ex machina, but dear lord, what about a race of super-fighters who magically appear out of nowhere whenever you call their name? (Or the ranyhyn, for that matter? How many characters can you possibly have who save the day when you call their name or whistle?!?) I thought that battle was the single most gratuitous moment in all of the Chronicles.
[/quote]

link

I'm thinking about making my signature: "It's so damn gratuitous." -- Roger Covenant. But then I'd have to spoiler tag it. :-x
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Wayfriend wrote:The part you like is the part many people don't.
Where did you get this? This chapter was so cool, we need bigger more chaotic battles in the future! It rocked.
fall far and well Pilots!
ParanoiA
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ParanoiA »

danlo wrote:
Wayfriend wrote:The part you like is the part many people don't.
Where did you get this? This chapter was so cool, we need bigger more chaotic battles in the future! It rocked.
I guess I'm one of those that spent most of that chapter wearing a confused scowl. Largley because I get caught up in the specific motivations of each character and find myself frustrated to understand them unless it's spelled right out for me. With so many forces at once, each with their own band of aspirations, I got lost in who should be attacking who and whatnot.

Although, I was thoroughly pleased to invite the kresh into the fight - I miss those horrific bastards.

I like what he was trying to do, but with my limitations I really couldn't process it very well. I plan on a re-read of Runes and Revenant just before the next one so maybe I'll get anchored better next time through.
Chassit
Giantfriend

Post by Chassit »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:I will give Malik credit for the following quote regarding that chapter for the rest of my life.
It is awesome.
Sometimes if I just think of it I start laughing.

"The only thing missing was Foul showing up with a giant sledgehammer!"

:lol:
LOL! Reading this thread about that chapter (which I found very confusing and overwhelming) reminds me of the Ultimate Showdown, which my 12-year-old made me watch ( www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HqOcsoUA2U -- sorry, I don't remember how to do the URL code), and now I'll never read that part of FR without hearing this damn song!

Seriously, it seems to me that Linden had been through quite enough hell about the time that all happened. I'd be throwing my hands up and going, Okay, kill me now. Or... figure out how to use that white gold.
"War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares about more than his personal safety; is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. "
- John Stuart Mill, English philosopher
ninjaboy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ninjaboy »

As far as Stave's Sons go.. They were the particular Haruchai that were at that particular Woodhelvin.

So yeah. It's OK.

While it was a great chapter, a awesome fight.. You can't but admit that it's a little.. Too contrived.. Too much of a easy set-up by the Author.. And I HATE to think like that, but I suppose he needed to do it and it was great to read..

But he's got to be kicking himself for not putting it off a chapter or two because then he'd have had Giants and Skurj in the fight too!
Forgive my death.
It was my flesh that failed you, not my love.
AjK
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Standing in the dark. Watching you glow. Lifting a receiver ...

Post by AjK »

ParanoiA wrote:I really couldn't process it very well. I plan on a re-read of Runes and Revenant just before the next one so maybe I'll get anchored better next time through.
I am right with you on this one. My plan is a re-read of all 8 books prior to Against All Things Ending and then a re-read of just the Last Chronicles prior to The Last Dark (or whatever they will be called once we get there. :? )
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

ninjaboy wrote:As far as Stave's Sons go.. They were the particular Haruchai that were at that particular Woodhelvin.
It's possible, but why do you say that?
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

ninjaboy wrote:As far as Stave's Sons go.. They were the particular Haruchai that were at that particular Woodhelvin.
I don't think so. What would be the point, where would the drama be in that? I still think it's at least 1 of the Humbled, maybe 2, but definitely not all 3 of them.
ninjaboy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ninjaboy »

I actually thought the text explicitly said that they were his sons. I may be mistaken.

I've just started reading Lord Foul's Bane so I should be due to re-read FR in a month or so maybe??
Forgive my death.
It was my flesh that failed you, not my love.
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

AFAIK, there's only that one ambiguous comment by Stave. (Well, there are LOTS of ambiguous comments by Stave, but only one regarding his sons. ;-) )

I also think they're among the Humbled. The only reason I think they wouldn't be is, that's almost too obvious.

What was the scene where Linden noticed that one of the Masters had no scars and she deduced he looked "unmarked or untried, therefore younger" ?? Was that when she met Galt, or when she first met Stave and Jass after Kevin's Watch fell? That might be a hint to one of the sons.
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

I liked the big epic battle too. I had hoped that the summoning of Nom would take out another raver though. Give it more meaning. Be lest wasteful.
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com

Return to “Fatal Revenant”