What fantasy/science fiction book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

OH I LOVVVVVVEEEEEE!!! SNOWCRASH!! :biggrin: Hiro Protagonist!!

what an awesome name!! :biggrin:
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

Farm Ur-Ted, No.... gross... although I think the blathering of thought processes was more painful. Especially during the fight with the warrior poet. Just fight already. Not this painful... I could see each molecule in the warrior poets being. A green molecule passed and I realized that perhaps the warrior poet was going to try to stab me in the left ventricle but I couldn't believe how space time was slowed as I watched a blue particle float past.... for about twelve pages before the poet even made his move.... and the blathering on about the thought processes and theorems and math being beautiful before he solved the whatever theorem. Ugh. Painful.

Now I am in Chapter five of "Reaper's Gale." Much more fun.
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Lucimay wrote:OH I LOVVVVVVEEEEEE!!! SNOWCRASH!! :biggrin: Hiro Protagonist!!

No. The Deliverator. Now that's an awesome name.
The Deliverator belongs to an elite order, a hallowed sub-category. He's got esprit up to here. Right now he is preparing to carry out his third mission of the night. His uniform is black as activated charcoal, filtering the very light out of the air. A bullet will bounce off its arachno-fiber weave like a wren hitting a patio door, but excess perspiration wafts through it like a breeze through a freshly napalmed forest. Where his body has bony extremities, the suit has sintered armorgel: feels like gritty jello, protects like a stack of telephone books.

When they gave him the job, they gave him a gun. The Deliverator never deals in cash, but someone might come after him anyway—might want his car, or his cargo. The gun is a tiny, aero-styled, lightweight, the kind of a gun a fashion designer would carry; it fires teensy darts that fly at five times the velocity of an SR-71 spy plane, and when you get done using it, you have to plug it in to the cigarette lighter, because it runs on electricity.

The Deliverator never pulled that gun in anger, or in fear. He pulled it once in Gila Highlands. Some punks in Gila Highlands, a fancy Burbclave, wanted themselves a delivery, and they didn't want to pay for it. Thought they would impress the Deliverator with a baseball bat. The Deliverator took out his gun, centered its laser doo-hickey on that poised Louisville Slugger, fired it. The recoil was immense, as though the weapon had blown up in his hand. The middle third of the baseball bat turned into a column of burning sawdust accelerating in all directions like a bursting star. Punk ended up holding this bat handle with milky smoke pouring out the end. Stupid look on his face. Didn't get nothing but trouble from the Deliverator.

Since then the Deliverator has kept the gun in the glove compartment and relied, instead, on a matched set of samurai swords, which have always been his weapon of choice anyhow. The punks in Gila Highlands weren't afraid of the gun, so the Deliverator was forced to use it. But swords need no demonstration.

The Deliverator's car has enough potential energy packed into its batteries to fire a pound of bacon into the Asteroid Belt. Unlike a bimbo box or a Burb beater, the Deliverator's car unloads that power through gaping, gleaming, polished sphincters... You want to talk contact patches? Your car's tires have tiny contact patches, talk to the asphalt in four places the size of your tongue. The Deliverator's car has big sticky tires with contact patches the size of a fat lady's thighs. The Deliverator is in touch with the road, starts like a bad day, stops on a peseta.
Farm Ur-Ted
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Farm Ur-Ted »

Ha! I read the pound of bacon part this morning. How far will it shoot a pound of feathers?
Roach trotted over to sniff at the gleaming phlegm, then licked it up.

The Bonehunters by Steven Erikson
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Gardens of the Moon. Much better the second time round. (Really, that book is a terrible lead in to the series...you just don't care about any characters or worlds yet...it's too confusing. Only now, having read the next three, does it make sense.)

--A
pat5150
Giantfriend

Post by pat5150 »

Just finished R. Scott Bakker's The Judging Eye, and it's everything fans could hope for!

Hard to put down, and that's a fact!!! :D

Check out the blog for the full review...

Patrick
www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Finished Drums of Autumn and am beginning Brisingr. Beorn will try to renew it at his school's library when it is due on the 6th, but seeing as he is the first to have had it on hold before it came in, I suspect it won't be renewable right away. And I am number 86 on the hold list at the public library, so I suspect I won't get very far into it before it must be returned.

I'll go on to The Fiery Cross once Brisingr is either finished or returned and await my holds to come up again...
AjK
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Standing in the dark. Watching you glow. Lifting a receiver ...

Post by AjK »

Lucimay wrote:OH I LOVVVVVVEEEEEE!!! SNOWCRASH!! :biggrin: Hiro Protagonist!!

Yes, but the cyborg dog is still my favorite! Snow Crash is easily in my all-time top ten books list.
... nobody I know.
taraswizard
<i>Haruchai</i>

Reading now

Post by taraswizard »

Soldier of the Mist by Gene Wolfe, and it's for a reading group. It's way better than Oryx and Crake.
Allan Rosewarne
taraswizard Essence of Amber
Buffy fans Chicago
W/T they are forever
Farm Ur-Ted
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Farm Ur-Ted »

Snow Crash was a kick! Now I just started a rare (for me) re-read of RotE, before I finally read FR. This book is just as good as I remembered it.

Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

Patrick wrote:Just finished R. Scott Bakker's The Judging Eye, and it's everything fans could hope for!

Hard to put down, and that's a fact!!!
Great get Pat!

Nice review. You've certainly re-whetted my appetite for this new series and I can't wait to get my hands on it. For my money Bakker is one of the brightest stars in the fantasy pantheon and I'm looking forward to see how his writing has improved since TTT. Thanks for the info!
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I picked up Robin Hobb's Renegade Magic from the library yesterday. With much trepidation, I add. I'll give it about halfway, and if it keeps sucking as bad as the last book did...
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Farm Ur-Ted
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Farm Ur-Ted »

Syl wrote:I picked up Robin Hobb's Renegade Magic from the library yesterday. With much trepidation, I add. I'll give it about halfway, and if it keeps sucking as bad as the last book did...
I got that book earlier for free when Eos gave it away. Let's just say that I've got at least 50 books in line ahead of it. That series sounds pretty awful. I don't know what Robin Hobb's deal is sometimes. Character development is great and everything, but sooner or later you've got to tell a story if you want people to read your book.

Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

Farm Ur-Ted wrote:Snow Crash was a kick! Now I just started a rare (for me) re-read of RotE, before I finally read FR. This book is just as good as I remembered it.
That's funny, I just started my re-read of Runes as well :)

Post by Avatar »

Gaiman, American Gods.

Not bad...should finish tonight. Better than Anansi Boys.

--A
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Finally started reding Scott Bakker's Neuropath.

Post by Avatar »

Card's Xenocide again.

--A

Post by Avatar »

And finally, my reread of Fatal Revenant by some guy. ;)

--A
The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Dreaming »

I finished The Amber Spyglass a few days ago. I cried like a little girl. I am actually kind of pissed off it took me as long as it did to discover Pullman. I would have LOVED that shit when I was a teenager. It might have changed my life. (The way Ender's Game/Xenocide did)
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Farm Ur-Ted wrote:
Syl wrote:I picked up Robin Hobb's Renegade Magic from the library yesterday. With much trepidation, I add. I'll give it about halfway, and if it keeps sucking as bad as the last book did...
I got that book earlier for free when Eos gave it away. Let's just say that I've got at least 50 books in line ahead of it. That series sounds pretty awful. I don't know what Robin Hobb's deal is sometimes. Character development is great and everything, but sooner or later you've got to tell a story if you want people to read your book.
Finished it a couple days ago. It wasn't too bad. The pay-off of reading the second book might have been worth it if the climax and denouement had been plotted a little better. Overall, it was kind of like Fight Club, but... not as good.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”