2009 New Year's Resolutions

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

Chrysalis
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Chrysalis »

As a Londoner...and not one by initial choice...I would have to ask why Lore??
Granted it does have its good points but it depends what you want from it.
I'd much rather be in Australia or New Zealand or South Africa.
"-People think dreams aren't real just because they aren't made of matter, of particles. Dreams are real. But they are made of viewpoints, of images, of memories and puns and lost hopes."
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Stonemaybe wrote:Good luck Lore, but don't let anyone in immigration know about Nor....
*plotting* muahahahahaha
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Mysteweave
Giantfriend

Post by Mysteweave »

Loremaster wrote:
Mysteweave wrote:
Loremaster wrote:My new years resolution is to save more money to return to the United Kingdom.
That's another one of mine - thanks for reminding me. :)

Are you British, or just wanting to visit?
I'm Australian. I want to return for a visit - I was in London in September, and I plan to move there permanently.
Good luck with that. :) I moved from the UK to the US about five years ago. I still miss it, though.
x Covenant x Mordant's Need x Saltheart Foamfollower x

~ “Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance.”
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Stonemaybe wrote:Good luck Lore, but don't let anyone in immigration know about Nor....
haha

I resolve to be more puissant.
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Loremaster wrote:I disagree. I want to.
:LOLS: Visiting's different...talk to me when you've lived there a couple of years. ;) (Hey, whatever works for you man. :D I hope it does.)

--A
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Loremaster wrote:I disagree. I want to.
:LOLS: Visiting's different...talk to me when you've lived there a couple of years. ;) (Hey, whatever works for you man. :D I hope it does.)

--A
No offence, avatar, but you can be incredibly obvious sometimes. Of course you have to visit a country or city before you move there. I have Australian friends there who have been there for five years now and love it, and who have no considerations of moving back. I've been wanting to leave Australia most of all my life, with the intent of moving to the United Kingdom. London, as it happens, impressed for a number of reasons. Look, I am not here to defend my decisions. I understand you didn't like it, but I gather they are subjective - London is not objectively a bad place to live. Personally, Brisbane is worse despite people wanting to move here. I'm not going to criticise them for their decision. I'd appreciate the same courtesy for my decisions.
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

I never see through my new years resolutions...but:

a) not move to the UK ;)
b) give up everything bad for me (from cigarettes to men...I'm giving it all up!)
c) to write (and finish) at least two short stories
d) to conquer the world (just thought I'd slip that one in)...
...what else?

Seriously though: to be happy (a totally ridiculous notion but one I aspire to!) and to not take things so seriously!
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Lore -- Cag and I have an amicable disagreement about how fabulous Colorado is. (Tho he may feel differently now that the Cagling is on the way. Or not. I dunno.) Different people like different things. I loved seeing the Rockies every day when I lived in Denver, and I like urban areas. But I met folks when I lived there who hated it and couldn't wait to leave.

Same thing here in DC. I'm heartily sick of the place, but I know that we'll shortly be awash in people coming in to work for the Obama administration who will think DC is the greatest thing since sliced bread and can't imagine anybody wanting to leave. Eh, whatever.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Brother Charn
Giantfriend

Post by Brother Charn »

drew wrote:My dad's donated something like 125 times..I guess I should keep up the family tradition.
8O DUDE! That's almost 16 gallons of blood.... i.e, a good horror movie's worth of blood! 8O

For me, I plan to continue the great 2008 start I've gotten on healthy living - continue 6days/wk running and workouts, and lose the last (and probably hardest) 10-15lbs. If we both make our goals next year (the wife and I), we plan to celebrate on the beaches of Hawaii.

I also want to figure out some grand entrepreneurial idea, make a metric a$$load of money by selling the rights to the idea, and then quit this soul-killing dayjob to become a full-time daydreamer.

dw
BCakaDWakaD!

- Brother Charn
"Shadows beware! The Light of Day shall find you, no matter where you lurk." - Archbeacon Davos
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

1. Get a new camera, or a new lens or both
2. Eat better (Chunky Soup isn't a major food group?)
3. Sleep better (no more being online at 3:00 am, but I seem to break this promise with frightening regularity)
4. Be less of a jerk at KW
5. Improve on my presently glacial reading pace.
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

aliantha wrote:Lore -- Cag and I have an amicable disagreement about how fabulous Colorado is. (Tho he may feel differently now that the Cagling is on the way. Or not. I dunno.) Different people like different things. I loved seeing the Rockies every day when I lived in Denver, and I like urban areas. But I met folks when I lived there who hated it and couldn't wait to leave.

Same thing here in DC. I'm heartily sick of the place, but I know that we'll shortly be awash in people coming in to work for the Obama administration who will think DC is the greatest thing since sliced bread and can't imagine anybody wanting to leave. Eh, whatever.
I don't think I'll change my mind about Colorado, or at least Denver. And I've been to DC, and I have to agree with you how awful it is. I dug some of my trip, but overall, nah. And the girlfriend (not Carla) was working on working for the EPA (almost had the job too), and I so did not want to move to DC. I was very happy when they said that the position had been cancelled.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

MM you need to throw, "Play more literati with Jenn" in there... :P
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Mine:
1) try to lose weight before baby is born. I'm already looking too huge in the wedding pictures (which I swear one day will been seen here).
2. Be a good husband to my expectant wife. Take care of all the insane cleaning needs that she has to do every week.
C. Be a good father, and try not to shake the baby when it cries.
(5) Try to get used to the idea that I will never have sex again, so that when it does happen, it will be a nice surprise. But probably won't happen for all of 2009.

Le sigh.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
JazFusion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by JazFusion »

1. Lose weight (as if I never make this a resolution).

2. Be a vegetarian until 6 pm. I'd love to be a full fledged vegetarian, but I need to wean myself from meat slowly (and my carnivore of a husband).

3. Actually get dressed every day. I'm a stay-at-home mom and I only get dressed when I need to (like once a month). It makes me feel fat and lazy and my husband compliments me when I DO get dressed. He's probably way tired of seeing me in PJ's all the time. So heck, why not spice it up?

4. Keep up with laundry. Even though I'm stuck at the laundromat for hours with a destructive 2 year old every weekend, it's better than dirty clothes.

5. Keep up with housework. I'm too lazy. Enough said.

6. Get my psychological problems under control. I have way too many of them (depression, anxiety, ADD, etc.) and it's been far too many years of my life spent dealing with them by myself. I need a shrink. I will get one this year.

7. Get a tattoo. I was promised that this year, but the money spent on the recent power outage ate up what I had saved.

8. Get a volunteer job at a soup kitchen (or possibly become a mentor for an abused kid) and give a small portion to help abused kids. Being an abused kid myself, I was devestated when I couldn't give anything to any charity this year. 2009 will be different. I will make a difference in an abused kid's life again.

Wow. Yeah, so.....I have a lot to live up to.
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

By the hairy balls of the arch imager! You do have a long list, Jaz! 8O :biggrin:
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

I'm trying to keep mine simple:

1) do more of what makes me feel most alive (creative things like art)
2) get more physically healthy
3) organize my life ;)

Auleliel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Auleliel »

1. Get back on schedule.
2. Have fun.
3. Figure stuff out.
4. Make progress towards my goals.
5. ?
"Persevera, per severa, per se vera." Persist through difficulties, even though it is hard.
Proud Member of THOOOTP.
Buy my best friend's fantastic fantasy book! Pulse is also available here.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”