Phelps proven human after all.

Archive From The 'Tank
Mr. Broken
The Gap Into Spam

Phelps proven human after all.

Post by Mr. Broken »

Although I found the picture of the worlds most famous swimmer pulling a monster toke off a glass bong amusing, I see no reason for it to taint his achievements at last summers Olympic games. He had after all under gone the full spectrum of testing for controlled substances ,as well as performance enhancers before competition began. So he was clean at the time. Since the picture hit the tabloids though it seems the media, and the public as well have engaged in a ridiculous line of speculation as to the extent of his "Drug Problem", and what it will cost him. I wonder though, are they really worried about the future of Phelps, his possible loss of sponsorships, and his health, or are they worried that the conservative propaganda concerning the drug culture has taken an uppercut. Heaven forbid that a filthy "Pot Head" should be the best in the world at something. According to anti -drug mythology that shouldnt be possible. This is your gold medalist, this is your gold medalist on drugs, any questions?
Wide Eyed Stupid
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I can't believe the outrage, either. I mean, we just elected a President who admitted to smoking (and inhaling!) pot. But swimmers are held to a higher (n.p.i) standard?
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Where is the outrage coming from?

--A
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Avatar wrote:Where is the outrage coming from?

--A
Mainly conservatives.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Knew that Rebagliati kid was a bad influence.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Cybrweez
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cybrweez »

I don't even see that much outrage. In fact, I don't really see too much about it at all. I was actually surprised I didn't see more stories about it.
--Andy

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur."
Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

I believe in the One who says there is life after this.
Now tell me how much more open can my mind be?
Brother Charn
Giantfriend

Post by Brother Charn »

To me, the only outrage is coming from the media, who tend to profit from generating outrage.

Just because he is on the world's pedestal doesn't mean he isn't still just a college-age kid. Oh yeah, who trained h-a-r-d through most of his childhood, or rather in place of it. And, has a few million dollars at hand and a billion or so fans. I'm surprised (and relieved) it's only some pot.

It's sad, but we Americans seem to enjoy burning down our heroes almost as much as we like making them.

BC aka DW aka D
BCakaDWakaD!

- Brother Charn
"Shadows beware! The Light of Day shall find you, no matter where you lurk." - Archbeacon Davos
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Brother Charn wrote:To me, the only outrage is coming from the media, who tend to profit from generating outrage.

Just because he is on the world's pedestal doesn't mean he isn't still just a college-age kid. Oh yeah, who trained h-a-r-d through most of his childhood, or rather in place of it. And, has a few million dollars at hand and a billion or so fans. I'm surprised (and relieved) it's only some pot.

It's sad, but we Americans seem to enjoy burning down our heroes almost as much as we like making them.

BC aka DW aka D
Thats the problem in a nutshell. He is a hero to many people. Alot of America looks on this guy as a role model for their kids and the last thing they need is for the role models to do things that are against the law.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

Who cares??

So the kid smoked pot? Those who are complaining have nothing better to do. Big deal.

Just the media trying to make something out of nothing. It still doesn't detract from his accomplishments.
The King has one more move.
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

caamora wrote:Who cares??

So the kid smoked pot? Those who are complaining have nothing better to do. Big deal.

Just the media trying to make something out of nothing. It still doesn't detract from his accomplishments.
I care. Not that he was smoking pot but because smoking pot in the US is ILLEGAL....

What you are saying with "So what he was smoking some weed" is its OK to break laws as long as you dont agree with them.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Something like 40% of all Americans have smoked weed, SB. Show of hands here at the Watch? <ali raises hers>

Not. A. Big. Deal.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Post by Blackhawk »

SoulBiter wrote:

I care. Not that he was smoking pot but because smoking pot in the US is ILLEGAL....

What you are saying with "So what he was smoking some weed" is its OK to break laws as long as you dont agree with them.
Soulbiter...actually its not illegal. there are 10 states currently in the US that give perscriptions for marijuana with doctors charging tentatively $200 for an office visit for that prescription, and it can be administered for symptoms as minor as high stress, or insomnia but it varies from state to state and of course the doctor.. the Federal Government has declared it illegal but they take in taxes from people who Grow with a license and sell it to medical clinics.(yep..the growers and clinics actually pay their taxes on it) the feds will not do anything about it unless someone has been rumored to have a large crop growing, anything else is considered a waste of their time, which I completely agree with.

the presidents own half brother in Nigeria just got arrested for marijuana.

If anything the swimmer should be accused of giving his competitors an advantage and he still got the gold. he wasnt smoking during the olympics but smoking is smoking and it doesnt enhance your breathing or stamina etc. I thought they only tested for performance enhancing drugs and steroids, and if he passed a controlled substance test then he should be in the clear... who knows...the picture could have been a joke. probably not but if they want to get all legal about it....
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

aliantha wrote:Something like 40% of all Americans have smoked weed, SB. Show of hands here at the Watch? <ali raises hers>

Not. A. Big. Deal.
Look I raise my hand with alot of the rest of you. I smoked alot of pot for about 10ish years in my past. But thats not the point. The point is that it is illegal.... I cant say it enough. If you put yourself in the limelight and take money representing yourself for advertising and you get busted doing something illegal then dont be surprised when it becomes a big deal to not just the fans but the advertising companies.

Case in point. Michael Landon years ago had a contract with Kodak. He didnt do anything illegal. All he did was get a divorce. Since that didnt represent the 'family values' that Kodak wanted portrayed, they pulled his contract and dumped him from their promotional stuff.
Blackhawk wrote:
SoulBiter wrote:

Soulbiter...actually its not illegal. there are 10 states currently in the US that give perscriptions for marijuana with doctors charging tentatively $200 for an office visit for that prescription, and it can be administered for symptoms as minor as high stress, or insomnia but it varies from state to state and of course the doctor.. the Federal Government has declared it illegal but they take in taxes from people who Grow with a license and sell it to medical clinics.(yep..the growers and clinics actually pay their taxes on it) the feds will not do anything about it unless someone has been rumored to have a large crop growing, anything else is considered a waste of their time, which I completely agree with.
If he has a prescription and lives in a state where its legal by prescription then I will go along with that. However from what I've seen that is not the case.

However there is this:
Richland County, S.C., Sheriff Leon Lott told the New York Post that he will charge Phelps with a crime if he is able to determine the 14-time Olympic gold medalist smoked marijuana in his jurisdiction.

"This case is no different than any other case," Lott told the Post. "This one might be a lot easier since we have photographs of someone using drugs and a partial confession. It's a relatively easy case once we can determine where the crime occurred."

So again I will say... IT IS ILLEGAL
Blackhawk wrote: the presidents own half brother in Nigeria just got arrested for marijuana.
Because its ILLEGAL
Blackhawk wrote: I thought they only tested for performance enhancing drugs and steroids, and if he passed a controlled substance test then he should be in the clear... who knows...the picture could have been a joke. probably not but if they want to get all legal about it....
According to World Anti-Doping Agency rules, an athlete is subject to sanction for a positive marijuana test during competition periods only. Phelps has never tested positive for any banned substances.
Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Post by Blackhawk »

Soulbiter, sticking to straight lines of law you are right. it is illegal in a majority of the USA. if the Sheriff wants to pursue this attack on a 14 time USA olympic gold medal winning athlete then he needs to think about how this will affect him in the next elections. but since he is in SC then it may not effect how his voters feel about him whatsoever.

it was a picture ...not a conviction or an arrest. as far as i know taking a picture with a glass bong is not illegal, for all anyone knows that could be tobacco..the same premise the shops that sell them require you ask for a tobacco pipe and frown upon the term Bong being used in their shop for legal reasons :D.. if they pull him over smelling like a joint with contraband on him then ok..he should be tested and punished for driving while intoxicated.

my feelings on this personally are: who cares it is just weed. so yes...When i do not agree with a law, I break that law and look over my shoulder to make sure I dont get caught or endanger any individual including myself. I think that is responsible law breaking..when laws become like an old fence that serves no purpose other than blocking progress and revenue that could be used to help pull this country out of its recession/depression, its time to break down that fence.

laws are like old software.. if you dont update to reflect the times you get software crashes or laws being broken by the billions in the case of marijuana. prohibition kept alcohol illegal until they figured out they could make money hand over fist by taxing the legal version.
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Blackhawk wrote:Soulbiter, sticking to straight lines of law you are right. it is illegal in a majority of the USA. if the Sheriff wants to pursue this attack on a 14 time USA olympic gold medal winning athlete then he needs to think about how this will affect him in the next elections. but since he is in SC then it may not effect how his voters feel about him whatsoever.

it was a picture ...not a conviction or an arrest. as far as i know taking a picture with a glass bong is not illegal, for all anyone knows that could be tobacco..the same premise the shops that sell them require you ask for a tobacco pipe and frown upon the term Bong being used in their shop for legal reasons :D.. if they pull him over smelling like a joint with contraband on him then ok..he should be tested and punished for driving while intoxicated.

my feelings on this personally are: who cares it is just weed. so yes...When i do not agree with a law, I break that law and look over my shoulder to make sure I dont get caught or endanger any individual including myself. I think that is responsible law breaking..when laws become like an old fence that serves no purpose other than blocking progress and revenue that could be used to help pull this country out of its recession/depression, its time to break down that fence.

laws are like old software.. if you dont update to reflect the times you get software crashes or laws being broken by the billions in the case of marijuana. prohibition kept alcohol illegal until they figured out they could make money hand over fist by taxing the legal version.
To say nothing of the fact that Marijuana is only illegal because it was demonized by the textiles back in the day, because hemp could be used to make a great many competing products.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Malik wrote:Mainly conservatives.
'Weez wrote:I don't even see that much outrage. In fact, I don't really see too much about it at all.
DW wrote:To me, the only outrage is coming from the media, who tend to profit from generating outrage.
See, that's what I was asking about...conservatives? Conservative People? Or conservative media? Or what? In other words, do most members of the general public think it's a big deal or not?

Obviously, SB thinks it's important, but more for the "role-model" aspect of it than anything else.

--A
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Malik wrote:Mainly conservatives.
'Weez wrote:I don't even see that much outrage. In fact, I don't really see too much about it at all.
DW wrote:To me, the only outrage is coming from the media, who tend to profit from generating outrage.
See, that's what I was asking about...conservatives? Conservative People? Or conservative media? Or what? In other words, do most members of the general public think it's a big deal or not?

Obviously, SB thinks it's important, but more for the "role-model" aspect of it than anything else.

--A
The temperature I'm reading says "the folks" for the most part couldn't give a care about it, nor does the liberal media. From what I see, only the Conservative Pundits are making anything about it at all, with a few exceptions like SB
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Speeding is illegal. I don't think Shawn Hannity would have his panties in a wad over a speeding ticket. This is a *moral* issue to certain Republicans (who probably go home and have a stiff drink after work).

Why isn't anyone claiming the obvious? You can smoke pot and still be a world-record Olympian! (Or President).
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

But when you are out there as a role model then you are held to a different standard.
Michael is a role model, and he is well aware of the responsibilities and accountability that come with setting a positive example for others, particularly young people," a statement by the U.S. Olympic Committee read. "In this instance, regrettably, he failed to fulfill those responsibilities."
I think most Americans and even the Republicans that go home and have a stiff drink would agree. This isnt about smoking pot. Its about breaking the law. I suspect if he was busted going 100MPH or more on the freeway, there would be a stink about that as well. I also suspect that if a picture of him smoking cigarettes surfaced, he would also get alot of flak and thats legal.
Waddley
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Waddley »

He's human? And here, I always thought he was super-sayain.

Incidentally, I'm pretty proud that a pot smoker can be such an accomplished athlete, and think that he is an incredible role model.

Would this be the appropriate time to say something about a glass ceiling being broken? I mean, first president and now Olympic Gold-medal winner? Geeze.
"Let my inspiration flow in token rhyme, suggesting rhythm." -Robert Hunter

Return to “Coercri”