What Books CAN'T you get started reading?

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

do you ever have a motivation problem like that?

yes
73%
no
5%
sometimes
23%

Total votes: 40

Auleliel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Auleliel »

I resisted reading Harry Potter for a long time. When I finally started the series (sometime between when books 3 and 4 came out) I got hooked.
"Persevera, per severa, per se vera." Persist through difficulties, even though it is hard.
Proud Member of THOOOTP.
Buy my best friend's fantastic fantasy book! Pulse is also available here.
Farm Ur-Ted
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Farm Ur-Ted »

Star Maker. I gave it a shot, but I'm not even sure it's a novel.
Roach trotted over to sniff at the gleaming phlegm, then licked it up.

The Bonehunters by Steven Erikson
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by jacob Raver, sinTempter »

I had the same thing with Runes...
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Eons ago in this thread I mentioned my difficulty in starting LOTR. It took me a long time, but this year I finally got over Tolkien's style and managed to enjoy the books.
Auleliel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Auleliel »

matrixman wrote:Eons ago in this thread I mentioned my difficulty in starting LOTR. It took me a long time, but this year I finally got over Tolkien's style and managed to enjoy the books.
Yay! I love LotR. Glad you were able to enjoy them.
"Persevera, per severa, per se vera." Persist through difficulties, even though it is hard.
Proud Member of THOOOTP.
Buy my best friend's fantastic fantasy book! Pulse is also available here.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Farm Ur-Ted wrote:Star Maker. I gave it a shot, but I'm not even sure it's a novel.
8O 8O

Personally, it's a masterpiece. Oh well, each to their own.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by jacob Raver, sinTempter »

matrixman wrote:Eons ago in this thread I mentioned my difficulty in starting LOTR. It took me a long time, but this year I finally got over Tolkien's style and managed to enjoy the books.
Was it the flashbacks?
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Auleliel wrote:I resisted reading Harry Potter for a long time. When I finally started the series (sometime between when books 3 and 4 came out) I got hooked.
I resisted reading HP until all seven books were out. Then I read it straight through. Said "meh". And moved on.
Farm Ur-Ted
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Farm Ur-Ted »

Loremaster wrote:
Farm Ur-Ted wrote:Star Maker. I gave it a shot, but I'm not even sure it's a novel.
8O 8O

Does it have any dialogue? I read the first 15-20 pages, and I'm not even sure there were any characters. It was just a bunch of philosophical musing, which isn't my cuppa.
Roach trotted over to sniff at the gleaming phlegm, then licked it up.

The Bonehunters by Steven Erikson
Mysteweave
Giantfriend

Post by Mysteweave »

Sword of Truth. I've tried several times, but I really can't seem to get passed the writing style. I find myself thinking I could've written it better.
x Covenant x Mordant's Need x Saltheart Foamfollower x

~ “Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance.”
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

jacob Raver, sinTempter wrote:
Was it the flashbacks?
The flashbacks didn't bother me. I just had a hard time adjusting to Tolkien's "dream-like" prose, if I may call it that. His language sometimes took on flights of fancy that made it hard for me to comprehend what he was trying to say. But as I said, I got over it (for the most part).
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Farm Ur-Ted wrote:
Loremaster wrote:
8O 8O

Does it have any dialogue? I read the first 15-20 pages, and I'm not even sure there were any characters. It was just a bunch of philosophical musing, which isn't my cuppa.
No it does not, but the book is a journey; dialogue would just get in the way.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

matrixman wrote:
jacob Raver, sinTempter wrote:
Was it the flashbacks?
The flashbacks didn't bother me. I just had a hard time adjusting to Tolkien's "dream-like" prose, if I may call it that. His language sometimes took on flights of fancy that made it hard for me to comprehend what he was trying to say. But as I said, I got over it (for the most part).
I had the same struggle with the 'dream-like prose' (good description!) - and struggled through the Fellowship... but managed to get past it and enjoyed the rest of the story.
iQuestor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by iQuestor »

A song of ice and fire -- a couple my watcher friends reccomended it, and SRD himself likes it, but its too damn convoluted for me to get through.
Endymion9
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Endymion9 »

I'm trying to get up the nerve to try Gene Wolfe's, Evil Guest again. Got about 30-40 pages into and put it down last time. Too confusing. But read a good review of it in Wierd Tales and wondering if I ought to give it another chance.
~I was born to rock the boat. Some will sink but we will float. Grab your coat. Let's get out of here. You're my witness. I'm your Mutineer~ - Warren Zevon

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”