What Books CAN'T you get started reading?

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

do you ever have a motivation problem like that?

yes
73%
no
5%
sometimes
23%

Total votes: 40

duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

What Books CAN'T you get started reading?

Post by duchess of malfi »

Am I alone in sometimes just not being able to start a book/series? :oops: :oops: :oops:

Someone gave me a whole set of the Otherland series by Tadd Williams, and even though I like Williams's other books, I just can't bring myself to get started.

I see those four huge paperbacks just sitting there waiting to be read...and I look at them and just can't being myself to open them. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Love as thou wilt.

drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

I had a real tough time starting the Malazon series; hard enough that I gave up halfway through Gardens. (sorry Lucimay!)
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

I had that with the Gap for a while, and certainly with Lord of the Rings.
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Recently, I'd read plays for about 3 months, and when I started to read a novel I just couldn't get into it for a while because by its very nature, it's slower-paced textwise than a play.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

The Dark Tower series and the Da Vinci Code.
Marv
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Marv »

i'm currently on stand-by on the dark tower series. the quality of them seems to fluctuate so wildly. really enjoyed it up to wizard and glass which i loved in parts but not in others(talk about slow!!), but found Wolves of the Calla downright tedious. *shoots Oy in the back of the head!*

i will start again at some point if only to find out if they ever get to the bloody tower and the source of the beam or whatever.
It'd take you a long time to blow up or shoot all the sheep in this country, but one diseased banana...could kill 'em all.

I didn't even know sheep ate bananas.
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Yeah, I have a motivation problem with books. A book will excite me in the store, and I'll buy it...but then, once I have it in my possession, I tend to lose the urge to start reading it right away. Which is why I'm a very reluctant book shopper these days: I feel guilty enough as it is over the backlog of unread books I already have.

On the other hand, I have no trouble with music. I'll buy a CD and eagerly listen to it as soon as I get it home. Same with DVD's. I guess I'm just not as willing to invest in the longer time needed to read a book. That wasn't an issue in my younger (and more carefree) years when I was a faster reader.

At the end of the day, it still depends on the book. The odd book will come along that I will immediately begin reading and be completely absorbed right to the end.

A co-worker loaned me LOTR back in December, but I procrastinated til around February before starting to read it. At first I was quite enjoying Fellowship, in Tolkien's charming description of the hobbits and their background history. However, once the story actually began, I soon stopped reading and haven't been able to get back into the proper mood for LOTR. I found myself getting annoyed with Tolkien's way of handling speech.

"Sam!" Frodo cried.

"Gandalf!" Frodo cried.

"Pippin!" Frodo cried. "Why am I constantly yelling at people!?"
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I found myself getting annoyed with Tolkien's way of handling speech.
Agreed, I've never been able to get through Hobbit or Fellowship.

Gates of Fire - I am going to make a 2nd attempt, because I promised Brinn that I would.

It took 2 tries to get through Dune.

I put The Real Story down halfway through, and I've never picked it up again.
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

The Da Vinci Code. Bought it when I saw it out in paperback, but haven't been able to get more than 50 pages into it.
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

The Da Vinci Code for me aswell.
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Damelon wrote:The Da Vinci Code. Bought it when I saw it out in paperback, but haven't been able to get more than 50 pages into it.
Yeah, I keep meaning to get into it; because I hear loads of appraising reviews and opinions from people I know... but I'm either too busy or too lazy.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Never been a problem for me really. Not starting anyway. If it's really bad, I'll quit half-way, but getting started isn't an issue. :D

The Hobbit Dlb? Are you serious? Try reading it aloud to your kids...(maybe when they're a little older, but not much. (Can't remember how old they are... 4 & 6?) It's a great book to read aloud. Get them started young. ;)

--A
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I can't get started on the Earthsea Quartet.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

Loremaster wrote:I can't get started on the Earthsea Quartet.
I still have the fourth one to read.
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Mirror of Her Dreams. I've tried. I've failed.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Cail wrote:Mirror of Her Dreams. I've tried. I've failed.
*shakes head* :ct14:

You'd love it! :D Great book. I hope you try having another go sometime soon. :)
Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Roland of Gilead »

I've been unable to get into Mirror of Her Dreams, either, the only SRD book with that problem for me. I'll try again one of these days.

I took three attempts to get into David Wingrove's Chung Kuo series, then read seven straight volumes!!

I just recently overcame my phobia of the massive Cryptonomicon, by Neal Stephenson, oft considered, never begun, and managed to read it in two and half weeks.
"I am, in short, a man on the edge of everything." - Dark Tower II, The Drawing of the Three
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

I cannot get through Land Of Unreason; it's ust too silly. I think I filled my silliness quotia by book 5 of Xanth, way back when i was a wee lad. Anyway, I plowed on to about page 40, but I think I'd rather burn the book than get to page 41.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

Dang! Mirror of her Dreams is my favourite! (oh well)

I have tried numerous times to get through 'The Tales of Genji' with no success.

I am surprised at the number of people who can't get through Davinci Code. It is such a simple read and a good "page-turner". I'm not saying he is a "great writer" but he finally honed his pop-craft with this one.
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

That surprised me too. The DaVinci code was (to me) ultralight fluff. I flew through it, then promptly forgot most of it.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”