Your Favourite Pure RPG Ever?

Zap! Woo hoo! High score! Computers, Consoles, and everything electronic.

Moderators: Cagliostro, lucimay, Creator, Sorus

Your Best/Fav/Greatest Pure RPG Ever?!

Final Fantasy
No votes
Secret of Mana
17%
Phantasy Star
No votes
Chrono
8%
Suikedon
8%
Grandia
No votes
Other
67%

Total votes: 12

jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by jacob Raver, sinTempter »

R-ite...sweet.
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

Cagliostro wrote:Well, gotta go oldskool, yo!

Tunnels of Doom for the fun of the gameplay, even though it lacks a story.

Ultima IV otherwise.
I LOVED Ultima IV. I had a bootleg copy...with NO documentation. Had to figure out EVERY single spell by trial and error. I still remember a lot of them and I haven't played it in, LITERALLY, over 20 years. Tremor--H, E, A. Heal--B, D Y-up, Z-down, and Blink--D, E I could go on, and on...but I have demonstrated my geekdom sufficiently. I crawl back, now, to my non-life.
The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Dreaming »

Planescape: Torment.

If you haven't played it, find it.

As far as JRPGs go, Chrono Cross and Final Fantasy Tactics are probably tied as my favorites. Cross is REALLY underrated. It more than lived up to Chrono Trigger, it was everything a sequel needed to be and SO MUCH MORE!

And BGII Rules too, I still love it way more than anything Bioware has done since. (And I LIKE KOTOR and NWN)
Mysteweave
Giantfriend

Post by Mysteweave »

Shadow Hearts: Covenant.
x Covenant x Mordant's Need x Saltheart Foamfollower x

~ “Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance.”
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

Looks interesting... too bad I don't have a PS2 :(

On a side note, MS lets you play certain games from the original XBox on the 360 through an x86 emulator running on the PowerPC architecture. I wonder how hard it would be to do something like that for the PS2? Technically, it's actually a much simpler chip than the Pentium3 used in the original XBox...
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

The Dreaming wrote:Planescape: Torment.
I think the Planescape setting was the best thing ever produced for the D&D setting. A great shame I never bought the game.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

The Dreaming wrote:Planescape: Torment.

If you haven't played it, find it.
The way it's been described by people around the Watch, it sounds very appealing - but I've looked into it, and it costs more than I'm willing to pay. :(
The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Dreaming »

I picked up a copy in a wal-mart bargain bin for like 5 bucks when interplay was going under :) It got REALLY expensive shortly after though. You can probably easily get a hacked copy off bit torrent or a newsgroup DL. Its out of print and horribly expensive 2nd hand now, so I wouldn't feel the least bit of guilt about hacking it.
The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Dreaming »

Hell, I've gotten a hold of some nice software recently, and I have a copy of Torment, I could probably just direct connect a cd image to someone over AIM. PM me if you're interested. Its a really awesome game, and is pretty much abandonware at this point.
Krazy Kat
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Krazy Kat »

About to run Titan Quest again. Never been into RPGs, Baldur's Gate, Dungeon Siege, etc...didn't do it for me. I like TQ. I can really tumble into that one.

I had to complete the quest just to see what happens - yawn, yawn, yawn - by the time I knocked out the last monster. All I got for it was a crappy lodestone and a heap of gear that didn't fit.

I suspected something was amiss when traveling through Mongolia. I killed ever single baby dragon, and thier parents. When I made it to the other side of the Great Wall of China the dragons were even bigger, more colorful too. But eventually I bullied them into submission and won a flaming samarai sword. More yawns.

Anyway, it's back the begining in Greece. This time I'm looking for a hidden suit of magic clothes, and if I have to sell every, torch, knife, spear, sword, shield, hat, gloves, and coat to find it then so be it!

Titan Quest rocks!
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Diablo 1 - Man those were the days... when someone could come in with cheats and duplicate all your stuff......autokill everyone... and then there was the fun of feeling like someone was hanging you upside down by your feet and every time they shook you more of your cash fell out of your pockets. (you lost half your lewt at death so they would kill you over and over in a death loop until you quit dropping coin.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
JazFusion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by JazFusion »

If I were forced to pick one...it'd have to be Diablo; both for nostalgia and awesomeness. I was so obsessed with that game when it first came out, and I even play it at least once a year. I even used to draw the character art in the book. And the Butcher was hands down one of the worst boss fights for me EVER.

Ahhh, fresh meat!
"Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt." - Kurt Vonnegut
Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Post by Blackhawk »

Always been an FPS guy... do they have any rpgs like civilization or diablo that were in a First person view? I dont like the viewpoints on most RPG games... I like the FPS views but havent found any RPGs that use them.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

There was a FPS Final Fantasy game a few years back. Don't remember the exact title. The Bard's Tale and Ultima games have a FP point of view, but they're a bit old school.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Post by Blackhawk »

Syl wrote:There was a FPS Final Fantasy game a few years back. Don't remember the exact title. The Bard's Tale and Ultima games have a FP point of view, but they're a bit old school.
I used to like the FF games...well i only actually played two versions the first version i played FF7 I think was almost like the sega genesis console look, with balloon text, and the main characters head looked like sonic the hedge hog, then the next was much more realistic as far as how the characters and cities looked and being alble to mix elements together for attack. I actually did like those games... I remember there was some monster collecting card game as part of the FF 7 or 8. I loaned it to a friend and they moved away ...and took it with them.

Return to “PC & Console Games”