Who's THE Captain?! Once and 4 all...

Talk about both the movies and the books.

Moderator: aTOMiC

Who's THE Captain of the Enterprise?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:12 am

Kirk
53%
Picard
41%
Scottie! Yah that's right, it ain't goin nowhere unless Scottie says go...
6%

Total votes: 17

thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Post by thewormoftheworld'send »

You have higher expectations about internet posts. "Intelligibly written" is good enough for me.
Tales of a Warrior-Prophet has gone Live on Amazon KDP Vella! I'm very excited to offer the first three chapters for free. Please comment, review and rate, and of course Follow to receive more episodes. Two hundred free tokens may be available for purchases. https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/episode/B09YQQYMKH

Read my Whachichun Tatanka (White Buffalo) Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blog/posts/8175040473578337186
FB: https://www.facebook.com/WhiteBuffalo.W ... unTatanka/
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/white_buffalo
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by jacob Raver, sinTempter »

TheWormoftheWorld'sEnd wrote:You have higher expectations about internet posts. "Intelligibly written" is good enough for me.
I'm just glad I'm not the only one who throws-down a hater-rant once in a while.
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

ItisWritten wrote:...and Janeway ... I think Kirk would have tried and failed with her (take that, Cail).
Yes, but only because Janeway's junk was probably as big as Kirk's.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Cail wrote:
ItisWritten wrote:...and Janeway ... I think Kirk would have tried and failed with her (take that, Cail).
:? :huh: :haha: :LOLS:
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror
ItisWritten
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ItisWritten »

Cail wrote:
:lol: :P Tsk, tsk. I've always had the impression that Kirk wouldn't begrudge a woman's rejection of him ...

There are after all, more women in the Alpha Quadrant than you can shake a schlong at.
ItisWritten
Rawedge Rim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rawedge Rim »

ItisWritten wrote:
Cail wrote:
:lol: :P Tsk, tsk. I've always had the impression that Kirk wouldn't begrudge a woman's rejection of him ...

There are after all, more women in the Alpha Quadrant than you can shake a schlong at.
That's because the "Schwarts" was with him. :twisted:
“One accurate measurement is worth a
thousand expert opinions.”
- Adm. Grace Hopper

"Whenever you dream, you're holding the key, it opens the the door to let you be free" ..RJD
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

WEll here ya go............. Kirk Vs Picard...coming to theatres near you

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kpn2LeoQMtk&feature=fvst
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Percipience
Servant of the Land

Post by Percipience »

Late to the debate. First off, Janeway's voice drove me nuts. Also her flirting with Q, and etc.

Sisko was cool, but never really acted the captain's role, being on a station and all.

Picard was a man of philosophy, virtue, and determination. He didn't get to show his strengths often, but when he did, he was the champion marathoner.

Kirk was a man of philosophy, spunk, and bravado. He was much better at physical combat, but really: why is that a great trait for a spaceship captain?

I vote for Picard.
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Always nice to have a new voice here, Percipience.

I never followed DS9, so I can't comment on Sisko. Maybe the fact that I never watched that show is commentary in itself...people say it's brilliant, but the premise just never interested me.
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

DS9 was very, very good. But because it was only a 'station' it lacked that 'moving forward', umm...feeling. It probably cramped the writers, but also forced them to come up with different ways of creating tension.
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

Percipience wrote:Late to the debate. First off, Janeway's voice drove me nuts. Also her flirting with Q, and etc.

Sisko was cool, but never really acted the captain's role, being on a station and all.

Picard was a man of philosophy, virtue, and determination. He didn't get to show his strengths often, but when he did, he was the champion marathoner.

Kirk was a man of philosophy, spunk, and bravado. He was much better at physical combat, but really: why is that a great trait for a spaceship captain?

I vote for Picard.

wow ... i'm late on this debate too, but, dang if this didn't take the words from my mouth ...

Picard.
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

I don't know how I managed to keep from getting drawn into this conversation for all these years but here's my two cents for what its worth.

Which Starship Captain, on more than one occasion, introduced himself to an alien species by punching one in the face and then announcing that he won't harm them or at least won't harm them again?

That Captain has my vote. :-)
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

By the way this thread is asking which captain of the Enterprise is best, not which Star Trek captain.

I'll run them down...

Enterprise - NX01
Jonathan Archer

Enterprise NCC-1701
Robert April
Christopher Pike
James T. Kirk
Willard Decker
Spock

Enterprise NCC-1701-A
James T. Kirk

Enterprise NCC-1701-B
John Harriman

Enterprise NCC-1701-C
Rachel Garrett
Richard Castillo

Enterprise NCC-1701-D
Jean-Luc Picard
William T. Riker
Edward Jellico

Enterprise NCC-1701-E
Jean-Luc Picard

By definition of the title of the thread you must pick one of the aforementioned. :-)

I'm throwing my lot in with John Harriman. Ferris Bueller's best bud was the most dynamic and decisive captain the Enterprise ever had. No question about it. :biggrin:

You have to respect the man you murdered James Tiberius Kirk (the first time) by being incomprehensibly inept.

"It won't be installed until Tuesday." Gotta love the Harriman.

Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

aTOMiC wrote:
"It won't be installed until Tuesday."
Classic!

And yes, the poll needs more options.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Wait, Cameron was a captain of the Enterprise? How did I miss that?

--A
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Avatar wrote:Wait, Cameron was a captain of the Enterprise? How did I miss that?

--A
The opening scenes of Star Trek: Generations features the amazing Captain John Harriman. Note the grim determination on his face...or is that panic enhanced by intense nausea?

He would have been single handedly responsible for the U.S.S. Enterprise-B being the least talked about star ship in the history of Star Trek were it not for the fact that Kirk was presumed killed while on board attempting to save the ship from the Nexus energy ribbon.
Almost nothing else is known about it or its history after the event.

At least the Enterprise-C was known for being spectacularly blown to bits in the battle of Narendra III.:-)

Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

I read "Let's listen to another Clear Frontier classic." as the caption of that photo, and can't unsee it. I think I even read it in his voice.

And he looks like he was just reminded that the sound system won't be installed until Tuesday.

aTOMiC wrote:
At least the Enterprise-C was known for being spectacularly blown to bits in the battle of Narendra III.:-)
Saving the universe as we know it and whatnot. That part is kinda relevant.

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Ah, probably watched "Generations" once, at some time. Never really got into the movies, especially the later ones.

--A
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Avatar wrote:Ah, probably watched "Generations" once, at some time. Never really got into the movies, especially the later ones.

--A
To each his own. I've seen Generations about half a dozen times and will now probably watch it again since we've been talking about it. :-)

Not my favorite film but also not Star Trek V. :-)

Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

aTOMiC wrote:
To each his own. I've seen Generations about half a dozen times and will now probably watch it again since we've been talking about it. :-)

Not my favorite film but also not Star Trek V. :-)
So what is your favorite?

I think I saw Generations in the theater 3 times - once on opening night, and twice at a dingy local theater that had it as a double feature with Stargate.

Not my favorite either, but I also can't think of another movie I've seen in the theater 3 times.

Return to “Star Wars and Star Trek Forum”