chef's prerogatives

Learn how to make Spring Wine and aliantha cookies.

Moderator: Menolly

stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

chef's prerogatives

Post by stonemaybe »

You're cooking dinner tonight - what do you expect in return, while you're prep-ing and cooking?

Here's mine......

1. No interference, no comments! Not even well-meant ones.
2. My choice of music in the kitchen, no complaints that it's too loud.
3. Someone else deals with callers or phone calls.
4. A glass of wine.
5. The core of the broccholi stem, to nibble on.
6. Disks of chorizo to nibble on.

5 & 6 obviously depend on what's cooking. I still feel I'm missing out though - anybody got any others?
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

Cooking in Vader's kitchen is a bit like a live show. I like "communicative" cooking. My guests are welcome to join and watch me in my open kitchen and I'm always ready to explain what I'm doing (and why) or just have small talk - provided they don't stand in my way (to answer your question what I expect while cooking).

And I don't like chorizo. The overload of spices usually kills the taste of the meat and everything else it's being served with. I prefer Italian salsiccia.
Functionless art is vandalism. I am the vandal.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

mmm...

Being a mom, I guess I learned to not have any prerogatives while cooking. Having a baby or toddler to tend while also cooking took any thoughts to the contrary away. And having a husband who was willing to watch him when he wasn't away at work helped, but that was the exception, not the rule.

My only expectation is to have a clean kitchen to work in with everything well stocked and in its place. If Hyperception or Beorn fix something for themselves, then they must set things back to rights when finished. Other than that, I can work around just about anything.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Menolly wrote:Being a mom, I guess I learned to not have any prerogatives while cooking.
Ditto, for the same reason. I like a clean work area, but everything else is negotiable.

Actually, I would welcome kibbitzers. I'd put 'em to work. :twisted:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

aliantha wrote:Actually, I would welcome kibbitzers. I'd put 'em to work. :twisted:
^ what she said ^

But I do love teaching and sharing my recipes and methods...

As the holidays approach, I am really starting to miss being the Village activities director. Cooking Thanksgiving dinner for 350 residents was a lot of work but it was fun work...
Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

Menolly wrote:My only expectation is to have a clean kitchen to work in with everything well stocked and in its place.
I can leave dirty plates and bowls in the dishwasher over night no problem. The one thing that needs to be cleaned immediately after use are my pots and pans, the gas oven and my knives. I always hand wash them right after using them and never put them in the dish washer.

And I love cooking with my daughter. Leah is 4 years old now but she can chop things like a pro. I always give her a real knife (and I'm also always close to her) and I told to always check where the blade is an where her fingers are. It's amazing how skillful she can use the knife.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Vader wrote:I can leave dirty plates and bowls in the dishwasher over night no problem. The one thing that needs to be cleaned immediately after use are my pots and pans, the gas oven and my knives. I always hand wash them right after using them and never put them in the dish washer.
Oh yes, if the dishwasher is not full enough to run, this is a given.
Vader wrote:And I love cooking with my daughter. Leah is 4 years old now but she can chop things like a pro. I always give her a real knife (and I'm also always close to her) and I told to always check where the blade is an where her fingers are. It's amazing how skillful she can use the knife.
Definitely.
But there is a big difference between baby and toddlers and a pre-schooler. Especially when one's child is on the autism spectrum. But Beorn is getting there. Leah is probably far more skilled than Beorn right now, but he will be able to fend for himself, and fend well, by the time he leaves for college.

...or I'll know the reason why. ;)
StevieG
Andelanian

Re: chef's prerogatives

Post by StevieG »

1. If I'm preparing something special (like that fancy asian soup I did a while back :) ), I prefer not to be interrupted - I am happy to talk with someone, but there's no guarantee I'll listen to them.

2. My choice of music, although I'll probably try and be conservative and please all.

3. Yes, definitely (re phone calls)

4. A bottle of wine :biggrin:

5. Bikkies and dip

6. Enough space to work in - a clean kitchen to start with. If I'm making something that goes in the oven or requires simmering, I'll try and clean up as I go.

7. Sharp knives!
Earthfriend
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthfriend »

My only expectation is that once dinner is served, everyone stops what they're doing and eats while it's hot.

I get quite frustrated if the meal I've somewhat lovingly prepared is left to grow cold while people just finish the last bit of washing, or wait till the Simpson's end, or get to that next elusive save point in Gears.
Stone and Sea are deep in life,
two unalterable symbols of the world;
permanence at rest, and permanence in motion;
participants in the Power that remains.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

:wave:

Welcome to The Galley, Earthfriend.
And yes, I think those are frustrations all who lovingly prepare meals suffer.
Harbinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Harbinger »

Jeez, you guys are demanding. I cook dinner a lot. I treat it like anything else- I take off my shirt and I deal with it.

I appreciate it when I don't have to clean anything, but that's rare. Generally, I rinse plates and fill the dishwasher but don't scrub anything.

That's a great thing BTW. When my wife mentions cleaning type jobs, I tell her I'll hire someone and she then does it. I don't mow or scrub anything. Don't get me wrong, I'll fix anything I can and I do my share, but to me it's worth a few bucks to not deal with some nominal chores. My wife disagrees, so she does it. As the major breadwinner, this doesn't bother me a bit. Because I really would rather pay for it than do it myself.
Never underestimate the power of denial. - Ricky Fitts
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Harbinger wrote:I cook dinner a lot. I treat it like anything else- I take off my shirt and I deal with it.
If that is your mode of dress for cooking, one certainly hopes you do not have to deal with spatters of hot oil too often! :twisted:
Earthfriend
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthfriend »

It's the 'treat it like anything else-' part that gets me. I now have an image of a topless Harbinger performing any number of household chores running through my head. Ye Gods.
Stone and Sea are deep in life,
two unalterable symbols of the world;
permanence at rest, and permanence in motion;
participants in the Power that remains.
Harbinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Harbinger »

I meant that figuratively, but your comments made me realize that I do tend to lose my shirt from time to time. I remember in college a friend of Malik's and mine said, "Dude do you hate shirts or do you just love your body that much?"

Back then it elicited lots appreciation from from women and a little jealousy I'm sure from some guys. Now, I have a little beer gut and I don't allow myself to tan like I used too. It probably is a horrible thing for you guys to contemplate. Sorry for the imagery. :P

EDIT: Also I don't shave my arms and keep my chest closely trimmed anymore either. And I have a few stray hairs invading my back. :twisted:
Last edited by Harbinger on Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never underestimate the power of denial. - Ricky Fitts
CovenantJr
Lord

Re: chef's prerogatives

Post by CovenantJr »

Stonemaybe wrote:1. No interference, no comments! Not even well-meant ones.
Pretty much just this one, and it's bafflingly difficult for some people to manage. My last girlfriend has never mastered the art of not 'advising' during cooking. She was here the other night (we're on ok terms at the moment) and kept chiming in with "When I cook that..." etc. It makes me want to retort "Well feel free to go to your kitchen and cook it for yourself then. In the meantime, I'll be eating my dinner."

Grrr.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

No, no, CovJr. What you should've done is to step aside and say, "Feel free to carry on, then, while I have a cup of tea."

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Hell no. That would be even more insulting. Pipe down or leave; do not comment and do not take over. But then, I don't have children.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

No, see, it's reverse psychology, in a way. When you say, "Feel free to take over," then the other person is likely to say, "Oh no! I didn't mean to imply..." which is when you then get to reply, "Then sit down and be quiet and let me do this my way." :lol:

Same as dealing with a backseat driver: "Do *you* want to drive?" "Oh, no, I didn't mean that!" "Then shut up!"

EZ Board Survivor

Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

Menolly wrote:Beorn [...] will be able to fend for himself, and fend well, by the time he leaves for college.
He will. He seems to have wonderful parents, so no doubt.

Return to “The Galley”