Sold my soul, but not to the devil.

Free discussion of anything human or divine ~ Philosophy, Religion and Spirituality

Moderators: Xar, Fist and Faith

Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

rusmeister wrote:
Xar wrote:Rus, I read the article too, but I notice that Lewis does not consider the fact that historically, the dualist nature of Zoroastrianism is a late evolution of the religion - which, at its beginning, considered Ahura Mazda as the one good deity of the universe, and did not award Angra Mainyu an equal stature. Later sects, such as Zurvanism, which rose in times of tribulation for the Zoroastrians, gave more importance to Angra Mainyu as the evil counterpart of the good Ahura Mazda, to the point of giving them the status of equally powerful brothers born of Zurvan (who represented space and time himself, and was not worshipped as a deity). Even so, Angra Mainyu wasn't evil by necessity, but by choice: according to the late Zoroastrian beliefs, for example, he created the peacock to show that it isn't that he could not create anything good, but that he would not. It is also worth noting that this form of Zoroastrianism (which, by the way, is historically the first religion providing an eschatology) still mentions that Angra Mainyu will be defeated in the end.

A side note, since the end of time has been mentioned (and personally, I always like this part): interestingly though, Zoroastrian eschatology is much more optimistic than Christian eschatology. In Zoroastrian beliefs, sinners do suffer after death, but only until the end of times; at that point, they will be cleansed of their sins (though this may sting a bit, given that it will happen by being submerged in a river of molten metal), and all of the dead will enjoy an eternity of bliss.

Anyway, even later, some Western thinkers who came into contact with Zoroastrian beliefs (in India, if I remember correctly) attempted to explain the presence of two equally powerful deities, one good and one evil, in order to reconcile it with Christian beliefs of a single Deity; this led to the interpretation that Ahura Mazda is truthfully the one true god of Zoroastrianism, and that the "two brothers" are actually Angra Mainyu (the destructive emanation of Ahura Mazda) and Spenta Mainyu (the creative emanation). In this framework, then, Ahura Mazda is responsible for both good and evil in the world, in order to give mortals the possibility to make a free choice as to where to stand, morally speaking.

Whoops, that went a bit far afield... anyway, I originally just meant to say that dualism in Zoroastrianism is a later addition. But in order to be provocative I might also point out that dualism, or the pseudo-dualism of Angra and Spenta Mainyu, isn't any less believable than the concept of the Holy Trinity - that is, if one thinks that the idea of two equally powerful deities existing alongside each other is unlikely, one might also say it is equally unlikely that one single deity would exist who at the same time is treated as one and three personas...
Hi, Xar, and thank you!
I'm willing to learn more about Zoroastrianism, if necessary for Christian apologetics, and appreciate what you've posted.

I think, though, that what you posted doesn't do anything to refute Lewis's point. The fact that Lewis doesn't deal with the entire history of Zoroastrianism and its permutations leaves the basic fact that a good portion of it did become dualistic - and his following arguments based on it, not as something in isolation but as a type of all dualism, remain valid.

To me it appears that you have taken details of Zoroastrianism and use them to avoid Lewis's argument - which is intended for dualism in general, which would include any part of Zoroastrianism that became dualistic (you could argue its irrelevance to parts that held Ahura Mazda as supreme, but that would be irrelevant to Lewis's argument in general).
(Hey, you wanted to be 'provocative'!
:wink:

The one point on which I'll say that you are actually mistaken is on Christian eschatology. It is the kind of generalizing common among non-Christians, who primarily get exposure to radical fundamentalism which does tend to have pretty negative spins, although I won't claim that is the case with you. C.E. varies widely, depending on what the source of authority is, and I'd say that Orthodox eschatology is about as optimistic as it gets. What you describe in Z. is actually called "universalism", and it is generally considered a Christian heresy among the traditional faiths, and for a good reason - because it is not so optimistic as it sounds. Examined as a philosophy and taken to its logical conclusion, universalism basically leads to the ultimate denial of any motivation to reject selfishness - aka "sin". It focuses on love for others - a very good thing - to the exclusion of the need for metanoia, the changing of oneself. If all will be forgiven in the end, why should I try to be good in the here and now? It actually eliminates a need for repentance, a need to really be good (Although I should add that in orthodox theology, God is always ready to forgive - it is we who accept or reject the forgiveness - and acceptance requires repentance as a condition, not because God is legalistic, but because God's forgiveness is meaningless; His attempts at reconciliation useless if we have deliberately chosen to reject Him, to reject what is good, and to choose ourselves over God. That's not intended to be an in-depth expose, only as a demonstration that Christian doctrine, including eschatology, is not such a simple cut-and-dried unity that your post gives the impression of, just as Zoroastrianism is not merely dualist.
Rus, your argument for eschatology misses the fact that even if everything is forgiven in the end, there's still a LOOOONG time between the time of one's death and the end of times. During THAT time, the evildoer suffers at the hands of Angra Mainyu and his daeva; thus, the main difference is simply that while Zoroastrian eschatology does describe a terrible punishment as awaiting the sinners, it also says that Ahura Mazda would never damn any of his creations for "all time"; therefore, in the end even the worst sinners, having suffered for an unimaginable amount of time, will be given the grace of release. In my eyes, this does not remove the need to "change oneself" (again - your punishment may not be eternal, but it will surely go on for a very, very long time) while at the same time showing that Ahura Mazda is compassionate enough that he would never sentence any mortal to an eternity of suffering or to eternal death.

As for the point about Lewis, I think I would be rather interested in seeing how you would refute the argument I made in the end - that the existence of a single God who is at the same time one and triune is any more likely than two equally powerful beings coexisting...
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Didn't the Albigensian heresy spring partly from that idea? The dualism of good and evil, and two equally powerful beings contesting?

--A
Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

Avatar wrote:Didn't the Albigensian heresy spring partly from that idea? The dualism of good and evil, and two equally powerful beings contesting?

--A
Well, Zoroastrianism is believed to have deeply influenced later monotheistic religions such as Judaism, Christianity and Islam; for instance, it was the first religion to feature an eschatology (earlier religions did not include an "end of the world scenario").
Bhakti
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Bhakti »

Xar wrote:it was the first religion to feature an eschatology (earlier religions did not include an "end of the world scenario").
Nor does mine.

:mrgreen:
I am the self-fulfilling prophecy. Give love, and you WILL receive love. Let your every answer, your every action and reaction, your every desire, be rooted in love.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Xar wrote:As for the point about Lewis, I think I would be rather interested in seeing how you would refute the argument I made in the end - that the existence of a single God who is at the same time one and triune is any more likely than two equally powerful beings coexisting...
...or any more likely than the existence of numerous gods/goddesses that may or may not all be facets of one Universal god. If God can have three "faces," if you will, why couldn't God have multiple "faces"?

:biggrin:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

aliantha wrote:
Xar wrote:As for the point about Lewis, I think I would be rather interested in seeing how you would refute the argument I made in the end - that the existence of a single God who is at the same time one and triune is any more likely than two equally powerful beings coexisting...
...or any more likely than the existence of numerous gods/goddesses that may or may not all be facets of one Universal god. If God can have three "faces," if you will, why couldn't God have multiple "faces"?

Because, that would be silly ;) Bringing logic into theological matters, sheesh!

But I always viewed the whole Trinity concept not as the official "three but one" scenario, but rather the same entity with three names... kinda like Gandalf in LotR, where he's Mithrandir with the elves and Olorin in his original Miar form and Flameso, the fiery clown during Carnival.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
rusmeister
The Gap Into Spam

Post by rusmeister »

Xar wrote:
rusmeister wrote: Rus, your argument for eschatology misses the fact that even if everything is forgiven in the end, there's still a LOOOONG time between the time of one's death and the end of times. During THAT time, the evildoer suffers at the hands of Angra Mainyu and his daeva; thus, the main difference is simply that while Zoroastrian eschatology does describe a terrible punishment as awaiting the sinners, it also says that Ahura Mazda would never damn any of his creations for "all time"; therefore, in the end even the worst sinners, having suffered for an unimaginable amount of time, will be given the grace of release. In my eyes, this does not remove the need to "change oneself" (again - your punishment may not be eternal, but it will surely go on for a very, very long time) while at the same time showing that Ahura Mazda is compassionate enough that he would never sentence any mortal to an eternity of suffering or to eternal death.

As for the point about Lewis, I think I would be rather interested in seeing how you would refute the argument I made in the end - that the existence of a single God who is at the same time one and triune is any more likely than two equally powerful beings coexisting...
Hi, Xar,
I don't think I missed anything in Christian eschatology, which is what I'm talking about and what I think you could stand to learn more about, just as I could about Zoroastrianism. As soon as you say "sentence to death" you reveal an assumption of what really is a generally western Christian eschatological approach, which is alien to eastern Christianity. That's why i was trying to point out that you can't lump the alternate eschatology into one unit and simplify it like that - whereas Lewis CAN, because he was talking about dualism, not about the breadth and scope of Zoroastrianism.

Lewis already did refute your argument - most especially (to my mind) in the idea of smuggling in the idea of some kind of space/reality within which the opposing forces "are", and that the two forces do not explain each other. That's why I'm waiting for a response to that, rather than details about non-dualist aspects of Zoroastrianism.

Code: Select all

The metaphysical difficulty is this. The two Powers, the good and the evil, do not explain each other. Neither Ormuzd nor Ahriman can claim to be the Ultimate. More ultimate than either of them is the inexplicable fact of their being there together. Neither of them chose this tete-a-tete. Each of them, therefore, is conditioned--finds himself willy-nilly in a situation; and either that situation itself, or some unknown force which produced that situation, is the real Ultimate. Dualism has not yet reached the ground of being. You cannot accept two conditioned and mutually independent beings as the self-grounded, self-comprehending Absolute. On the level of picture-thinking this difficulty is symbolised by our inability to think of Ormuzd and Ahriman without smuggling in the idea of a common space in which they can be together and thus confessing that we are not yet dealing with the source of the universe but only with two members contained in it. Dualism is a truncated metaphysic. 
and the rest of the article...
"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one." Bill Hingest ("That Hideous Strength" by C.S. Lewis)

"These are the days when the Christian is expected to praise every creed except his own." G.K. Chesterton
rusmeister
The Gap Into Spam

Post by rusmeister »

Orlion wrote:
aliantha wrote:

Because, that would be silly ;) Bringing logic into theological matters, sheesh!

But I always viewed the whole Trinity concept not as the official "three but one" scenario, but rather the same entity with three names... kinda like Gandalf in LotR, where he's Mithrandir with the elves and Olorin in his original Miar form and Flameso, the fiery clown during Carnival.
The "official scenario" is a mystical dogma. It is something we can't really grasp, any more than two-dimensional beings could grasp what a cube is. While your explanation may be easier for you to grasp, it is precisely the fact that we are 'insufficiently dimensional', if you will, that makes it more likely that this Being is something we can't fully grasp.
"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one." Bill Hingest ("That Hideous Strength" by C.S. Lewis)

"These are the days when the Christian is expected to praise every creed except his own." G.K. Chesterton
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

wayfriend wrote:
Cagliostro wrote:That's the first I've heard of that.
Just google "freemasonry + satan". I have no authoritative links handy I'm afraid.
Yeah, I'm finding a lot of Jesus-is-lord sites claiming that because they use a serpent in some of their symbology, they worship Satan. They also have a skull in some of their symbols too, but they don't worship Death. From what I have gathered about the skull symbol, it is that death is a natural part of life.

I've run across this site several times when discussing what masonry is and isn't, and unfortunately on this topic, they are a little sparse. But here it is all the same.

I've done quite a bit of research on Freemasonry, and never saw any sign of that in anything I've read or looked at. And besides, my brother in law is in the Scottish Rite, as was my grandfather. I can't imagine either of them would think very highly of Satan at all - my brother in law pretty much doesn't think he exists, and my grandfather was a very devout Christian. He wouldn't have anything to do with it if Satan was involved or even revered.

Then again, Masonry has taken many different forms, and some are drawn to the secrecy for nefarious reasons, but I've certainly found no evidence that it is a basic premise of Masonry.

Ahh...and I just found this about the snake symbol in Masonry.

Oh, and I have to thank you for having me research this, as I found this wonderful site.

I guess it is all in how you view Masonry. The secrecy makes it suspect, everyone I have ever known who has been a member had their head screwed on pretty well. Then again, maybe I'm fooled and they are plotting the end of the world. But paranoids love them as they are such a good target for conspiracies.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
rusmeister
The Gap Into Spam

Post by rusmeister »

aliantha wrote:

On the level of speculation, any number of persons or gods could be supposed in the Godhead. The serious claims are not made based on speculation, but on faith - in revelation, or accumulated experience. The Christian dogma of the Trinity - not open to speculation, just as the stumbling block for you that God revealed His relation to us specifically as a Father*, is based on revelation - acceptance that this is how God has revealed Himself, to BE a "Himself" and not "Herself" or "Themselves".

*Which tends to ignore the Church as a type of the mother, and the Theotokos (Mary) as the most honored - greatest - human in all of history

Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

rusmeister wrote:
Xar wrote:
rusmeister wrote: Rus, your argument for eschatology misses the fact that even if everything is forgiven in the end, there's still a LOOOONG time between the time of one's death and the end of times. During THAT time, the evildoer suffers at the hands of Angra Mainyu and his daeva; thus, the main difference is simply that while Zoroastrian eschatology does describe a terrible punishment as awaiting the sinners, it also says that Ahura Mazda would never damn any of his creations for "all time"; therefore, in the end even the worst sinners, having suffered for an unimaginable amount of time, will be given the grace of release. In my eyes, this does not remove the need to "change oneself" (again - your punishment may not be eternal, but it will surely go on for a very, very long time) while at the same time showing that Ahura Mazda is compassionate enough that he would never sentence any mortal to an eternity of suffering or to eternal death.

Hi, Xar,
I don't think I missed anything in Christian eschatology, which is what I'm talking about and what I think you could stand to learn more about, just as I could about Zoroastrianism. As soon as you say "sentence to death" you reveal an assumption of what really is a generally western Christian eschatological approach, which is alien to eastern Christianity. That's why i was trying to point out that you can't lump the alternate eschatology into one unit and simplify it like that - whereas Lewis CAN, because he was talking about dualism, not about the breadth and scope of Zoroastrianism.

Lewis already did refute your argument - most especially (to my mind) in the idea of smuggling in the idea of some kind of space/reality within which the opposing forces "are", and that the two forces do not explain each other. That's why I'm waiting for a response to that, rather than details about non-dualist aspects of Zoroastrianism.

The metaphysical difficulty is this. The two Powers, the good and the evil, do not explain each other. Neither Ormuzd nor Ahriman can claim to be the Ultimate. More ultimate than either of them is the inexplicable fact of their being there together. Neither of them chose this tete-a-tete. Each of them, therefore, is conditioned--finds himself willy-nilly in a situation; and either that situation itself, or some unknown force which produced that situation, is the real Ultimate. Dualism has not yet reached the ground of being. You cannot accept two conditioned and mutually independent beings as the self-grounded, self-comprehending Absolute. On the level of picture-thinking this difficulty is symbolised by our inability to think of Ormuzd and Ahriman without smuggling in the idea of a common space in which they can be together and thus confessing that we are not yet dealing with the source of the universe but only with two members contained in it. Dualism is a truncated metaphysic. 
Lewis seems not to pay too much attention to the fact that Ahura Mazda and Angra Mainyu aren't "equal"; while their power and influence may be the same in scope and breadth, the Avesta make it clear that reality lies with Ahura Mazda, while Angra Mainyu, on the other hand, represents non-reality. The two deities are seen not just as sentient beings but also as representations of the creative and destructive forces of the universe, whereas however the creative forces are seen as constituting reality and the destructive forces are seen as constituting non-reality. Therefore, the two deities do not exist together in a common space: one could say that it is a theological impossibility, given that Angra Mainyu is the representative of non-reality and therefore cannot be present in reality. Nevertheless Angra Mainyu is, within the scope of Zoroastrianism, not an imagined entity; it's non-reality but at the same time its presence and influence can be felt in the real world as it attempts to drag everything into non-reality. It's a mystical concept much like the Holy Trinity - and if you accept the concept of the Holy Trinity as true based on divine revelation, then the concept of Zoroastrian duality has just as much validity, being based on divine revelation given to Zoroaster.

Incidentally, I DO know about Christian eschatology, which I have also studied (I think I've repeated several times that I have been raised as a Catholic) - and honestly, Orthodox eschatology doesn't have any more right to be taken as the "main" eschatology than the Catholic one does. to claim that Eastern eschatology is the "true" one is an unfounded claim, and it belittles the beliefs of Christians from all other denominations. In fact

Additionally, from the various sources I have read through, it seems to me that Orthodox eschatology DOES share similarities with the Catholic one - at least insofar as saying that the fate of those who do not believe in Jesus is, at best, left at the mercy of God (and thus unspecified). Some even claim that because Heaven and Hell are two states of the soul in Orthodox theology, those who do not believe in Jesus cannot by definition be granted Heaven (because Heaven is the state of the soul where one is together with Him) and therefore are left into Hell.

Apart from quoting the Book of Revelation where it clearly states that "those whose names are not written in the book of life shall be thrown in the lake of fire to die the second death", I have actually sought out what Orthodox clergy has to say about the interpretation of the scriptures. One explanation I found reads as follows:
The twentieth chapter ends with the description of the Last Judgment. Before it is to take place, there must be the universal resurrection of the dead; that is, a physical resurrection, to which the Apostle refers as the "second" resurrection. All people will be physically resurrected, both the righteous ones and the sinners. Following the universal resurrection, "the books were opened and . . . those dead were judged according to the entries in the books." Evidently, it is then, before the throne of the Judge, that the spiritual state of each person will be manifested. All dark deeds, angry words, secret thoughts and desires, all that was carefully hidden and even forgotten, will suddenly be brought to the surface and will become evident to all. It will be a terrifying sight!

As there are two resurrections, so there are two deaths. The "first death" is the state of unbelief and sin in which those who did not accept the Gospel dwelt. The "second death" is to be doomed to eternal estrangement from God. This description is very concise because the Apostle had already spoken previously about the Last Judgment (Rev. 6:12-17, 10:7, 11:15, 14:14-20, 16:17-21, 19:19-21, 20:11-15). Here the Apostle sums up the Last Judgment (the prophet Daniel having touched briefly on this in the beginning of the twelfth chapter). With this brief description, St. John concludes the writing of the history of mankind and moves on to the description of the everlasting life of the righteous.
Again, I point out that Zoroastrian religion seems to be far more optimistic because in the end, no one - believer or non-believer, sinner or saint - will be damned for eternity; even the blackest soul, after suffering unimaginably until the end of time, will be granted cleansing and allowed to join all the others.

Apart from the theological discussion, I personally find that the latter fits far more the paradigm of "God as parent" than the concept that the non-believers or the sinners will be damned forever. As I once posted elsewhere in the forum - if even a person's flawed mortal parents will forgive him anything, how much more forgiveness must a perfect Parent hold for His children? And if He does, how could such a Parent ever bear to see His children lost in eternal suffering or death?
Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

rusmeister wrote:
Xar wrote:

Hi, Xar,

Lewis seems not to pay too much attention to the fact that Ahura Mazda and Angra Mainyu aren't "equal"; while their power and influence may be the same in scope and breadth, the Avesta make it clear that reality lies with Ahura Mazda, while Angra Mainyu, on the other hand, represents non-reality. The two deities are seen not just as sentient beings but also as representations of the creative and destructive forces of the universe, whereas however the creative forces are seen as constituting reality and the destructive forces are seen as constituting non-reality. Therefore, the two deities do not exist together in a common space: one could say that it is a theological impossibility, given that Angra Mainyu is the representative of non-reality and therefore cannot be present in reality. Nevertheless Angra Mainyu is, within the scope of Zoroastrianism, not an imagined entity; it's non-reality but at the same time its presence and influence can be felt in the real world as it attempts to drag everything into non-reality. It's a mystical concept much like the Holy Trinity - and if you accept the concept of the Holy Trinity as true based on divine revelation, then the concept of Zoroastrian duality has just as much validity, being based on divine revelation given to Zoroaster.

Incidentally, I DO know about Christian eschatology, which I have also studied (I think I've repeated several times that I have been raised as a Catholic) - and honestly, Orthodox eschatology doesn't have any more right to be taken as the "main" eschatology than the Catholic one does. to claim that Eastern eschatology is the "true" one is an unfounded claim, and it belittles the beliefs of Christians from all other denominations. In fact

Additionally, from the various sources I have read through, it seems to me that Orthodox eschatology DOES share similarities with the Catholic one - at least insofar as saying that the fate of those who do not believe in Jesus is, at best, left at the mercy of God (and thus unspecified). Some even claim that because Heaven and Hell are two states of the soul in Orthodox theology, those who do not believe in Jesus cannot by definition be granted Heaven (because Heaven is the state of the soul where one is together with Him) and therefore are left into Hell.

Apart from quoting the Book of Revelation where it clearly states that "those whose names are not written in the book of life shall be thrown in the lake of fire to die the second death", I have actually sought out what Orthodox clergy has to say about the interpretation of the scriptures. One explanation I found reads as follows:
The twentieth chapter ends with the description of the Last Judgment. Before it is to take place, there must be the universal resurrection of the dead; that is, a physical resurrection, to which the Apostle refers as the "second" resurrection. All people will be physically resurrected, both the righteous ones and the sinners. Following the universal resurrection, "the books were opened and . . . those dead were judged according to the entries in the books." Evidently, it is then, before the throne of the Judge, that the spiritual state of each person will be manifested. All dark deeds, angry words, secret thoughts and desires, all that was carefully hidden and even forgotten, will suddenly be brought to the surface and will become evident to all. It will be a terrifying sight!

As there are two resurrections, so there are two deaths. The "first death" is the state of unbelief and sin in which those who did not accept the Gospel dwelt. The "second death" is to be doomed to eternal estrangement from God. This description is very concise because the Apostle had already spoken previously about the Last Judgment (Rev. 6:12-17, 10:7, 11:15, 14:14-20, 16:17-21, 19:19-21, 20:11-15). Here the Apostle sums up the Last Judgment (the prophet Daniel having touched briefly on this in the beginning of the twelfth chapter). With this brief description, St. John concludes the writing of the history of mankind and moves on to the description of the everlasting life of the righteous.
Again, I point out that Zoroastrian religion seems to be far more optimistic because in the end, no one - believer or non-believer, sinner or saint - will be damned for eternity; even the blackest soul, after suffering unimaginably until the end of time, will be granted cleansing and allowed to join all the others.

Apart from the theological discussion, I personally find that the latter fits far more the paradigm of "God as parent" than the concept that the non-believers or the sinners will be damned forever. As I once posted elsewhere in the forum - if even a person's flawed mortal parents will forgive him anything, how much more forgiveness must a perfect Parent hold for His children? And if He does, how could such a Parent ever bear to see His children lost in eternal suffering or death?
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Cag -- thanks for posting your findings on Freemasonry. My cursory googling turned up much the same results. 8)
rusmeister wrote:
aliantha wrote:

On the level of speculation, any number of persons or gods could be supposed in the Godhead. The serious claims are not made based on speculation, but on faith - in revelation, or accumulated experience. The Christian dogma of the Trinity - not open to speculation, just as the stumbling block for you that God revealed His relation to us specifically as a Father*, is based on revelation - acceptance that this is how God has revealed Himself, to BE a "Himself" and not "Herself" or "Themselves".

*Which tends to ignore the Church as a type of the mother, and the Theotokos (Mary) as the most honored - greatest - human in all of history
So the times in meditation when I have met with Brighid and Lugh -- would you call that revelation, or just me talking to myself?

Native Americans who go on vision quests and meet with animal spirits -- are they receiving messages from the gods, or hallucinating?

And if you're inclined to pick (b) in both of my above examples, who's to say that Christian prophets weren't also hallucinating, or telling themselves what they wanted to hear?

I'm *not* arguing that revelation amounts to the brain playing tricks on itself. I'm saying that if one is valid, then it's *all* valid (well, except for crazy people talking to themselves -- and maybe even them :lol:). If in fact "God only gives us what we can handle," then it would make sense for revelations to occur in different ways to different people. And I sure don't want to be the person who picks and chooses which revelation is more correct than another.

(We used to call people who talked to themselves prophets. Then we called them schizophrenic. Now we look for the Bluetooth headset. :lol:)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

rusmeister
The Gap Into Spam

Post by rusmeister »

aliantha wrote:Cag -- thanks for posting your findings on Freemasonry. My cursory googling turned up much the same results. 8)
rusmeister wrote:
aliantha wrote: ...or any more likely than the existence of numerous gods/goddesses that may or may not all be facets of one Universal god. If God can have three "faces," if you will, why couldn't God have multiple "faces"?

So the times in meditation when I have met with Brighid and Lugh -- would you call that revelation, or just me talking to myself?

Native Americans who go on vision quests and meet with animal spirits -- are they receiving messages from the gods, or hallucinating?

And if you're inclined to pick (b) in both of my above examples, who's to say that Christian prophets weren't also hallucinating, or telling themselves what they wanted to hear?

I'm *not* arguing that revelation amounts to the brain playing tricks on itself. I'm saying that if one is valid, then it's *all* valid (well, except for crazy people talking to themselves -- and maybe even them :lol:). If in fact "God only gives us what we can handle," then it would make sense for revelations to occur in different ways to different people. And I sure don't want to be the person who picks and chooses which revelation is more correct than another.

(We used to call people who talked to themselves prophets. Then we called them schizophrenic. Now we look for the Bluetooth headset. :lol:)
Yes, especially on the Bluetooth. I'll add that someday the people considered crazy will be the ones that DON'T talk to themselves...

I'd hope that you would have guessed that the Christian worldview can offer explanations for your personal experiences, as well as that of Indians and other aborigines that have spiritual experiences. (I'm a native American in my own lights, and so do not accept or teach the new PC term, as it implies that I am native to nowhere.) The answer would not be (a) or (b) - a likely explanation would be "prelest" - which in this case could be actual demons appearing as whatever the person having the experience might hope to see, just as an example.

Your argument that if one is valid, all are valid doesn't hold any water. There is nothing more common in any science than of a thousand incorrect answers implying that there is one correct answer, and the existence of the thousand false answers in no way denies the likelihood of there being a correct answer. I do agree, though, with your observation that revelations occur in different ways to different people. It took a looong time for the OT prophets, generally speaking, to gain any recognition, and it was mostly that they were telling truths that people didn't want to hear that made them so undesirable short-term, and so convincing in the long term. Obviously, the Christian today - here I should probably hedge my bets and limit it to the RCC and EOC - has the controlling check of the Church to examine claims of revelation. Many are not accepted. A few are. Some, like "tollhouses" en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerial_toll_house are taken seriously but not accepted or taught as dogma.

So yes, yes yes - we DON'T want to be the person to pick and choose - and thank God, we (Orthodox Christians, anyway) don't have to be.

aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Demons. Right. And your local wisewoman is a witch. :roll: Let's just demonize everything mystical that doesn't fit in with our dogma. It's what Christianity has been doing for centuries, and hey, it's worked so far...

EZ Board Survivor

rusmeister
The Gap Into Spam

Post by rusmeister »

aliantha wrote:Demons. Right. And your local wisewoman is a witch. :roll: Let's just demonize everything mystical that doesn't fit in with our dogma. It's what Christianity has been doing for centuries, and hey, it's worked so far...
The real question raised by your skepticism is, "Is the Christian cosmological view true?" (with an obvious answer from you of "no.") But it would not be well-thought out to simply scoff at an idea that people have been taught - nay, indoctrinated - to reject automatically, without thinking.
Actually, it has worked. Christianity is still here, most amazingly, the ancient versions, which, if they were merely groups of men bent on achieving domination of others would have long since died out, as all empires have. Both Catholicism and Orthodoxy experienced horrendous collapses which happened precisely where they did become the most worldly. But they came back, precisely because at their core they are not.

If the Christian cosmological view is true, then there ARE demons, and they are nothing to laugh at. But dismissing the question out of hand is not a reasoned approach.

I think one of the most powerful images I ever read in literature comes from Lewis's "Perelandra", the moment when a scoffing villain, Weston, essentially invites demons (which he calls a "life force") to possess him (without believing or understanding). What follows is, well...

Dromond
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dromond »

Well... what? Fiction?
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

aliantha wrote:...If God can have three "faces," if you will, why couldn't God have multiple "faces"?
I don't remember if I read it, or if somebody said it to me, but I've always loved this:
The technicalities of religion have no place in the minds of god.
--A
rusmeister
The Gap Into Spam

Post by rusmeister »

Dromond wrote:Well... what? Fiction?
What follows is consistent with Christian cosmology. You should read it for yourself.

Dromond
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dromond »

That's what I thought. ;) Perhaps I will, Rus.

Return to “The Close”