What fantasy/science fiction book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Spiral Jacobs wrote:I started on the second book in Stephenson's Baroque Cycle, The Confusion. I wonder how long this is going to take me. So far, I'm most looking forward to
Spoiler
Jack's swashbuckling adventures
as
Spoiler
Eliza's endless political scheming and conversations
hold less interest for me.
I am sure you will be very pleased!
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Re-reading Esselmont's Night of Knives.

--A
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Re-reading Runes of the Earth.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

Got a hardback book with four of Philip K. Dick's later novels: A Maze of Death (currently reading), VALIS (read in the past already), The Divine Invasion, and The Transmigration of Timothy Archer.

Also--you've got eyes of iron if you can go through Runes again, aliantha. :P I can't stomach the long (and to me) quite uneventful string of table scraps that lead to Revelstone (LFB took less time to get there and did it far more memorably, but that's best left for the TCTC forum maybe).
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

LF -- :lol: I'm rereading it partly to see whether it's as bad as everybody remembers it being....

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

Worm of Despite
Lord

It wasn't that it was bad. I just think it is shadowed by the elephantine standards created in the First Chrons, and to a slightly lesser extent the 2nd (lesser because I think the First Chrons' focus on a Hitler-like force of evil was just more striking, even though I think the Sunbane's insidious, more subtle approach to evil was well done and the only way SRD could continue the series in an innovative manner. I can't say "Kevin's Dirt" does much for me. Time travel, sure).
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Lord Foul wrote:It wasn't that it was bad. I just think it is shadowed by the elephantine standards created in the First Chrons, and to a slightly lesser extent the 2nd (lesser because I think the First Chrons' focus on a Hitler-like force of evil was just more striking, even though I think the Sunbane's insidious, more subtle approach to evil was well done and the only way SRD could continue the series in an innovative manner. I can't say "Kevin's Dirt" does much for me. Time travel, sure).
When I read Runes for the first time, I didn't know ahead of time
Spoiler
that time travel would be involved...
so when I go to that point, I was personally blown away.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Yeah, that's the danger of the Watch, I think. We'd heard enough about SRD's readings of chapters from Runes before publication that we were maybe kinda jaded by the time it came out... ;)

Altho I agree, LF, that Runes is basically one big setup for the rest of the series. My principal objection, as I recall, was
Spoiler
that the Staff of Law hunt felt like a video game.
Wondering if I'll feel the same way this time...

EZ Board Survivor

Worm of Despite
Lord

I doubt it'll change. ;) Some books are written in the spirit of tedium, and that spirit will never go away. 1st Chrons reads fresh and full of ideas to me, and I think that's how SRD must've felt when he wrote it. Runes just seemed a bit lost, and I think a book should be able to stand on its own, rather than being a servant/footman to the books that follow it. If I'm reading mere prologue for several hundred pages, then I feel I've been jipped. LFB, TIW, though not the end of the First Chrons, were their own little mini-adventures with their own satisfying culminations (I'd venture the emotional closing of TIW marked me as much or more than TPTP).

Post by Avatar »

Agreed. For me it was TIW and TWL that were the best.

--A
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Lord Foul wrote:Got a hardback book with four of Philip K. Dick's later novels: A Maze of Death (currently reading), VALIS (read in the past already), The Divine Invasion, and The Transmigration of Timothy Archer.
If you remember it, please let us (me) know how good/bad they are. The first and only PKD novel I've read so far is Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, and it left me cold.

Post by Avatar »

Read A Scanner Darkly. One of his best in my opinion.

The Man In The High Castle wasn't that great...done well, but I was more interested in the scarcely mentioned events behind the scenes than the story he was telling.

I'm re-reading The Silmarillion for the first time in 20-odd years.

--A

Post by Avatar »

Gardens of the Moon for lack of anything else, since I just finished Night of Knives.

--A
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

The Soldiers Son trilogy by Robin Hobb
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Worm of Despite
Lord

matrixman wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:Got a hardback book with four of Philip K. Dick's later novels: A Maze of Death (currently reading), VALIS (read in the past already), The Divine Invasion, and The Transmigration of Timothy Archer.
If you remember it, please let us (me) know how good/bad they are. The first and only PKD novel I've read so far is Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, and it left me cold.
That's because your soul is cold (well; to be fair, you either like his tripped-out style or you don't; if you want less trippy and more character-focused, read his The Man in the High Castle). But yes sir--if his books were a food, it'd be chocolate sprinkled in awesome sauce that I just couldn't stop eating. Om nom nom.

Dick's style + Le Guin's style are my favorite. If only they'd combined powers and written a fantasy trilogy of the First Chronicle's magnitude! Then I would die happily (and take as many people with me, of course!).
Spiral Jacobs
Giantfriend

Post by Spiral Jacobs »

I'm still working on The Confusion, and I'm just reporting in to say that I actually thought "hell yeah!" when
Spoiler
Jack cuts off the Duc d'Arcachon's head and proclaims he did that for Eliza
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Spiral Jacobs wrote:I actually thought "hell yeah!"
Oh, yeah. It takes 2,500 pages, but Stephenson delivers. There's a few more, and bigger, hell yeahs in store.

Post by Avatar »

Dead House Gates again.

--A
duke
Giantfriend

Post by duke »

Back to Fantasy, and back to Robin Hobb for me. 140 pages into Ship of Magic. Hobb is a pleasure to read.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Yes, she is. Nice to see you, duke!

Did I mention that I'm rereading Fatal Revenant? If not -- I'm rereading Fatal Revenant. :lol:

EZ Board Survivor

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”