AATE Suppositions w/ FR Spoilers ! Read at your own risk!

Book 3 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, High Lord Tolkien

Scott
Servant of the Land

Post by Scott »

Has anyone considered that the worm is covered in stone. Anele's ability to hear stone may give the answer to putting it back to sleep.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Scott wrote:Has anyone considered that the worm is covered in stone. Anele's ability to hear stone may give the answer to putting it back to sleep.
Now THAT is a cool idea. I don't think it will work exactly that way...but it has possibilities...very very nice.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Mistweave
Woodhelvennin

Post by Mistweave »

Vader wrote:Jeremiah has the ability of constructing powerful structures - structures that can even trap Elohim. Maybe he has also constructed a universe that trapped LF in it ...
This gets close to my thoughts about what may happen but it is Jeremiah's other ability of constructing portals that's key in my mind. What if Jeremiah can provide an escape hatch through the (weakened) Arch which Foul can leave through?

I would think there needs to be a final solution of sorts to the question of Despite for each main character and therefore to the manifestation of Despite in the Land. They cannot destroy it and to live free of it Foul must be gone. We've been told the only way for him to leave is with the destruction of the Arch but what if what we have been told isn't true?
DrPaul
Giantfriend

Post by DrPaul »

Has anyone considered that the worm is covered in stone. Anele's ability to hear stone may give the answer to putting it back to sleep.
In the chapter "A Calling of Nicor" from TOT, Pitchwife passes on to Linden the Elohim's account of the Worm of the World's End, which is subsequently confirmed by Daphin in Elemesnedene. The Worm only sleeps at the beginning and end of each aeon. At the time of the first two Chronicles and the start of the Last Chronicles, the Worm is quiescent rather than asleep. As I've mentioned on another thread, I think re-reading what Pitchwife and Daphin told Linden gives a strong clue as to what we can expect in the last two volumes of the Last Chronicles.
Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Post by Blackhawk »

wow... considering Anele can hear stone and Jeremiah can create structures that can trap beings with unfathomable powers, who knows ...maybe Anele and Jeremiah together will be able to contain the Worm OTWE. Anele to read the stone and Jeremiah to somehow construct the stone possibly using Joans Ring, or Lindens. cant wait... the story keeps getting better so far for me.
Beyondthebreach
Stonedownor

Post by Beyondthebreach »

There have been several things stated that must come to pass . . . or else, why is there presence even hinted at in the story.

- Jeremiah can construct "cages". Even one powerful enough to permanently capture all the Elohim.

This will happen in the Chronicles, so what purpose will it serve?

- Anele can talk to all stone and he is the only hope of the land.

This, too, will happen. What is it's purpose?

- The Harrow desires the Ring and Staff for his own "purpose".

Do we really believe that after all that has been hinted at with the Harrow that he will never acquire both? He must . . . and then we will see what that brings.

With those 3 suppositions alone, I have my guesses . . .

There is some connection between the Elohim and Worm that has yet to be explained. I believe that the true danger from the Worm is a result of the Elohim's freedom/existence. Imprisoning them all in a durance of some sort might serve to restore the balance that was lost (That is: A prison that Jeremiah makes for them). The Elohim fear the worm for they, in some sense, are part of it.
Prover of Life
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Prover of Life »

Well, Jeremiah may be constructing his "cages" to save the Elohim.

If they are effectively removed from the Land/Earth, it doesn't matter what the Worm, Foul, or TC ultimately do.

Have to wait and see.
Old man how is it that you hear these things?
Young man how is it that you do not?

Master Po
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

If the Elohim are "earthpower incarnate" and they are removed from the Earth, or are devoured, would that also remove the Earthpower?
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Relayer wrote:If the Elohim are "earthpower incarnate" and they are removed from the Earth, or are devoured, would that also remove the Earthpower?
hmmm...that would depend on if all earthpower that is is incarnated in them. [which I think is unlikely].
The caging has interesting possibilities...only one of which is multiples or layers.
Version 1: separate cages, one which contains LF, much as the Arch does now, but without connections to others, another that holds an entire new world which contains the Elohim [and a place for the other 'survivors' to live, and either the worm is kept out by the walls of those cages, or is in another cage of its own.
Version 2: a "World" cage that contains them all, withing that a "prison" that contains the worm and other nasty banes and such, within that, 'solitary confinement' that contains LF.
[haven't thought out the implications of these...just quick maybes]
My own favorite theory is still that beings of power [LF, the Worm, the Elohim, maybe others] have been distorted/warped/corrupted by the way things are, and will be restored to sanity/balance/appropriate function in a new existence.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Solar
Stonedownor

Post by Solar »

Relayer wrote:If the Elohim are "earthpower incarnate" and they are removed from the Earth, or are devoured, would that also remove the Earthpower?
The Worm has also been referred to as "Earthower incarnate", and Daphin said that "We are the Würd of the Earth". Maybe the removal of the Elohim would also remove the Worm? That could be pretty anticlimactic though.

On another thought, maybe Jeremiah's 'cages' are the Manacles?
Shuram Gudatetris
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Shuram Gudatetris »

My major supposition about AATE is that SRD will stick to the recurring format used in ROTE and FR, and we will not get our TC fix until the end: We will read hundreds of pages sans TC ( at least without him being whole, or sane, or whatever) just to have him finally returned to normal on the very last page. SRD is getting pretty good at that.

Another idea of mine considers the idea of the Land being a dream within the Creator (the old beggar in the ocher robe) . . . if the Land is truly coming to an end, then that would coincide with that old man finally dying of natural causes. I mean, he was old in LFB, and now its twenty years later . . . I'd say his number is just about up.
Covenant is Linden Frankenstein's monster.

I maxed-out Tetris!
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Shuram Gudatetris wrote:My major supposition about AATE is that SRD will stick to the recurring format used in ROTE and FR, and we will not get our TC fix until the end: We will read hundreds of pages sans TC ( at least without him being whole, or sane, or whatever) just to have him finally returned to normal on the very last page. SRD is getting pretty good at that.
I will raise holy hell if that's the case.
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Hmm you got me thinking (thats why I smell smoke)...

What if all the Elohim are trapped and then used to create a new land! Remember that they ARE earthpower incarnate... what if they are used to enfuse a new world with earthpower. They Jeremiah moves everyone except LF to the new world trapping LF behind in the old one.

Yeah its out there...
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

What if Jeremiah makes a box to containt the worm? Would it work?

I doubt it. I believe Jeremiah's boxes arn't as powerful as it's been lead to believe. They may work in a different ways then what is conceived, They are doorways.

In FR, Roger states that if Foul betrays him and the croyel, that the croyel will have Jeremiah contruct a box for them to escape the world. Why wait?
Do it now, leave Foul to his prison and enter a place where your virtually immortal.

Would it be possible for the worm to consume Roger since he has that Elohim hand attached to his arm?
Is Kastennessen( why can't we call him Charlie?) going to be consumed?, Who will control the skurg?

Infelice saids that the worm has been roused and that every Elohim will be comsumed. She didn't say that the world would be consumed, nor destroyed.
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

Just got me thinking... since Findail is part of it, would the worm be able to devour the Staff of Law?
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

spoonchicken
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by spoonchicken »

Here's a thought for you.....the Elohim are the children of the Creator who were trapped here when the Arch was formed, and devoured by the Worm. After eating enough Elohim, the Worm got drowsy. So....when the Worm wakes up, what happens to the Elohim? Do they all die automatically? Supposedly, if the Worm wakes, the Elohim will be the first to die. Hmmm....
"Who enters here, do not lose hope / Who leaves; do not rejoice / Who has not been, shall be here yet / Who has been here, shall never forget" Anonymous / discovered scratched into the wall of a cell in the KGB's Lefortovo Prison in Moscow/originally quoted in the book "Alexander Dolguns Story" (by A.Dolgun),describing the ordeals of an American citizen falsely imprisoned by the Soviet Union from 1948 to 1957.
spoonchicken
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by spoonchicken »

Something else.....it has been stated repeatedly that LA doesn't care about saving the Earth / Land per se. She doesn't care about defeating Foul for its own sake...only so that she can free Jeremiah. So what if she has to sacrifice Jeremiah to prevent all things ending? What if Jeremiah is a willing servant of Foul? What if Foul & TC really are one and the same? SRD has said words to that effect...
"Who enters here, do not lose hope / Who leaves; do not rejoice / Who has not been, shall be here yet / Who has been here, shall never forget" Anonymous / discovered scratched into the wall of a cell in the KGB's Lefortovo Prison in Moscow/originally quoted in the book "Alexander Dolguns Story" (by A.Dolgun),describing the ordeals of an American citizen falsely imprisoned by the Soviet Union from 1948 to 1957.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

I really really want the elohim to be first to be devoured by the worm.
A willing Foulboy Jeremiah bothers me [partly because at his age, how willing could he be?] He reminds me of the boy who ended up with a taste for blood and betraying the Ranyhin: completely tragic. I suspect [and hope] this one will be saved in the end...or at least not end fully corrupt.
DWOLF
Stonedownor

Post by DWOLF »

Does anyone else think Kastys lover might be the Mahdoubt? Maybe her weird orange eye is his?
Solar
Stonedownor

Post by Solar »

Kastenessen wasn't a being of fire until he bound himself to the skurj, which occurred after he had taken a mortal woman as his lover. So I doubt it.

First chapter of AATE spoilers:
Spoiler
'The Worm of the World’s End was coming. It was holocaust incarnate. He seemed to feel its hot breath on the nape of the Earth’s neck.'

This makes me think that the Worm isn't all that big. Maybe a hundred feet wide and a thousand long. Until reading this passage, I had assumed that the Worm was absolutely gigantic, and that it constituted the majority of the Earth's mass. Now I imagine that it's relatively small (but still very big), and that it will not destroy the Earth simply by shifting, but by sating its hunger and feasting upon the planet and its inhabitants... starting with those that are the most similar to its heavenly prey: the Elohim.

Return to “Against All Things Ending”