Pantheon: The Third Age - Rules and Comments Thread

Moderator: Xar

Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

Since this seems to be a common problem, I'd like to point out that just because you want to know something, it doesn't mean you can just throw your power at it and make it work. You need to ask the right questions, or at least you need to ask your questions the right way.

Imagine a god secretly used an artifact to create an earthquake in the Shattered Lands. Another god whose followers were grievously injured wants to know why the earthquake happened, but of course he/she doesn't know it was the work of a deity through an artifact. He/she wants to finds out what the problem is, and sends an order like this: "I use 1 DRP to find out where the faults in the earth's crust are that caused the earthquakes, then another 2 DRPs to seal them so no more earthquakes occur".

Since there are no faults to be detected, his/her first order turns out to be useless; the 2 DRPs meant to seal the faults, then, also are wasted.

On the other hand, if he/she said "I use 1 DRP to find out what the heck happened in the Shattered Lands", that question is fairly generic; there is a chance it might bring up a different answer (i.e. "a lot of stuff is happening there, there's a war to the south, famine in the north, an earthquake just struck"). However, the more DRPs one invested in the question, the more in-depth the answer would be (assuming one spent, say, 3 DRPs, the answer could be "there's a war in the south between the God of Cookies and the God of Warm Milk, with the God of Honey trying to help the latter, who is losing badly at the moment; famine in the north due to a shortage of food caused by the spoiling of crops due to vermin such as locusts; and an earthquake just struck which was not natural in origin, and bore signs of divine power, as well as resonating with ancient energies from an item of power")

And of course, if one asked "I use 1 DRP to find out the cause of the earthquake in the Shattered Lands", the answer would be less expensive.

All I'm saying is... assumptions are dangerous because if you base an action on them, and they are wrong, the action is wasted. On the other hand, a generic action will yield only a generic result unless one pours in a lot of DRPs. A balance must be struck between how much you want to risk and how much you want to spend.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

If I may ask for just a little more clarification regarding this...

It seems to me when one is weaker, or at least first starting out, that it is easier to learn things or accomplish things with fewer DRP expenditure. I admit, if one loses DRP due to a crises of the faith or loss of followers, the expense does not seem to go back down.

So, I don't know...
Were the things being attempted when one first started less expensive in terms of power? Or is my perception of what happens off?

which, yet again, would not surprise me
Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

Menolly wrote:If I may ask for just a little more clarification regarding this...

It seems to me when one is weaker, or at least first starting out, that it is easier to learn things or accomplish things with fewer DRP expenditure. I admit, if one loses DRP due to a crises of the faith or loss of followers, the expense does not seem to go back down.

So, I don't know...
Were the things being attempted when one first started less expensive in terms of power? Or is my perception of what happens off?

which, yet again, would not surprise me
At the beginning of the game, when you were weaker, did you ever spend your lone DRP to study a mysterious world-spanning event? No, because you didn't have the power to waste that way. At most, you studied events directly related to your people - very localized ones, perhaps the reason for a famine or who was that guy who was spreading lies about you.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Don't look now, folks, but tomorrow is deadline!!! Most of you will be getting a txt in the next couple hours anyway, but I figured I'd do this extra reminder for Bel and Dagon. :lol:
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I wasn't planning to forget.

I never do.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I'm sure not. Indeed, I had absolute faith that you would not plan to forget.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Wait, what? Tomorrow?
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Murrin wrote:Wait, what? Tomorrow?
:spew:

I will express my heartfelt appreciation that the deadline reminder text I received did not arrive at the crack of dawn.

EDT

...not so sure how any of our west coast players may have felt, if their's arrived at 5:30 am PDT.

And thanks for the clarification, AllFather.
That does make a bit more sense.
*bows*
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Oh hell, I thought it was the day after. No probs. :D

(But thanks Fist.)

--A
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Avatar wrote:Oh hell, I thought it was the day after. No probs. :D

(But thanks Fist.)
Good thing Fist did post, as the AllFather is no longer taking any late submittals.

Yay! But now watch me forget to send in mine tomorrow, or have computer issues or something... ;)
Madadeva
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Madadeva »

Murrin wrote:I wasn't planning to forget.

I never do.
Never do plan to forget ... but I believe forgot to turn in once ... in a unplanned way! :biggrin:
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Because explaining the joke always makes it funnier!
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Is funny 'cause is true.
Madadeva
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Madadeva »

Sent!
The Numen
Giantfriend

Post by The Numen »

Sent.
Nothing rhymes with orange!
Simjen
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Simjen »

Sent
Said she, "What I get I get out of the fire,
So prithee, strike home and redouble the blow."
O-gon-cho
The Gap Into Spam
Location: And closing of the eyes - true vision, The Light within became...Within the Light

Post by O-gon-cho »

Sent...

Image ...and I hope with all my heart not to hear this again from The AllFather because of my action... Image
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I truly enjoy getting txts from various among you telling me you sent your turn in. :D :lol:

Also good that my txts and the post here to remind everyone of deadline really are useful. I get return txts about that too. heh
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

Don't be too quick to rejoice, not everyone has sent the turn...
Rothmog
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Rothmog »

hi guys! as you can see Uncle Rothmog isn't much present in the game since a while... it is just because Real Life events are taking me away from any kind of game i'm trying to play... :P

so i'm afraid, but i have to leave the game. i hope you all understand. i'm sure you all will have a lot of fun playing pantheon for the few days that remain to Eiran (evil laugh here).

Take care my friends!
"... and I will bestow abundant gifts and blessings upon my little nieces and nephews who desire the embrace of their big Uncle Rothmog. ohohohoh"

Return to “Pantheon”