Under the Dome.

The Dark Tower and other works of Stephen King.

Moderator: lucimay

Mr. Broken
The Gap Into Spam

Under the Dome.

Post by Mr. Broken »

Im about 1/3 through and I havent read anything to turn me off, and yet its almost as if Ive read all this before. Im not saying thats bad, just that its very familiar. Im not going to give any spoilers, but am hoping that the story continues to entertain.
Wide Eyed Stupid
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Didn't realize it was out yet.

Have to go get it. Tomorrow.

Bitches.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Mr. Broken
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Mr. Broken »

Im in the Club, I didnt order it, it just came. Creepy!
Wide Eyed Stupid
Mr. Broken
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Mr. Broken »

Over all it was a good read. The story kept me on the hook right up to the very end , at which point King took his foot off the gas. In my opinion Under the Dome was the best King Ive read since Cell, but still nowhere near his earlier works.
Wide Eyed Stupid
Mr. Broken
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Mr. Broken »

Will someone please hurry up and read this Im anxious to hear anyone else's opinion on this story?
Wide Eyed Stupid
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

Read it. Don't have time to offer my thoughts right now but I'll be back. Short review. Very engaging but the ending was a little weak.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Just got it so that I had something to read while my oil was being changed... more later :P

And since it's Stephen King, I'm kinda expecting a weak ending ;)
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Very weak ending.

Otherwise it was a very entertaining read. It's a shame he's so bad with endings, 'cause I've enjoyed everything of his he's written since "Dreamcatcher".
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

:D Saw it in the shops today, but was no difficulty ignoring it. Will read Duma Key when I get a chance though. Be re-reading the DT series soon too.

--A
Zenlunatic
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Zenlunatic »

I liked it, it was actually a quick read considering the size, they were pretty liberal with the margins and font size. Some of the characters were a little too cliche...the main bad guy is a fat, Hummer drivin', car salesman who quotes the Bible and is a devout Christian (and a murderer)...but it was entertaining...although the whole premise of the Dome and what it turns out to be was a little silly, I thought...but hey, he makes the big bucks...
"I have all the best words."
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

meh. i thought the whole book was lame. i like duma key pretty well but under the dome was lame. he's just lucky i was in the mood to read some sk when i was at the bookstore. :lol:
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
Cord
Woodhelvennin

Post by Cord »

Yes, read this, another weak ending, and quite simply, no characters that were worth a mention (except the 3 teenagers) - But no empathy with any character(s), including the super hero - I think he missed the real horror story, which was to enable those under the dome to survive (ie the dome self perpetuates), and have to endure a hideous life under the evil empire of Big Jim - now there's a story...
Shihad
Fat Freddy's Drop
Katchafire

Return to “Stephen King Forum”