Mosque at Ground Zero

Archive From The 'Tank
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Zarathustra wrote:I still haven't seen anyone here admit that Dearborn and its high schools have a serious problem. No, instead people (like Aliantha suggests) are afraid of me, as if I'm the problem. Strange.
Do I really have to quote the posts where I've said the principal should be in jail, among the other things they need to do to straighten that school out?? For real? Couldn't you just go read them, apparently for the first time?

Zarathustra wrote:
Fist and Faith wrote:Especially since we haven't made any excuses when discussing what we've been discussing - the football practices.
Of course there have been excuses! Just off the top of my head:

... it's still summer, school isn't in yet.
... it's better for the kids to not practice in the heat.
... the parents invovled don't mind.
... it's none of your business, Z, because you don't live there.
... it doesn't cost you much in tax money.
In regards to the football situation, we're not making excuses for Muslims. It's a non-issue that you're trying to throw in with the actual problems. Some of the things you've brought to our attention are extremely serious. But you started it out with something that's not even remotely serious. A community, Muslims and non-Muslims alike, chose to help out the Muslim football players. That's all there is to this one.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Ki
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ki »

It's actually nicer. I got angrier the more I thought about how many times this has happened to me and decided to do it publicly. It doesn't matter if you remembered if we were married or not. It's still insulting. And what's even more interesting is that it is ALWAYS a LIBERAL that does this (you know, the champions of feminists) AND you guys never do this to any other women on the board. WHY IS THAT? AND WHY don't any other women on the board ever defend me? No need to really answer these questions. I already know the answer.

ANSWER: LIBERALS ONLY STAND UP FOR THEIR VALUES FOR OTHER LIBERALS.

If you "hear" snottiness in my posts, maybe it's b/c that's what your tone is in your posts. Like I said in my PM, my post wasn't even directed at you.

It was a general question for the thread, not directed at any one person. YOU CHOSE to be insulted by it. It is a question I ask myself. Don't you think I haven't wrestled with these questions myself? I don't just jump into a belief. I don't know the answers. But I can't even ask the questions? And when I do, I'm doing someone else's bidding?

There are people here calling my husband anti-Muslim and racist simply b/c he argues a different perspective. People here saying my husband is doing the work of a terrorist just b/c he argues a different position. There are people on this board who talk about my husband on Facebook and they know that I will see it. And you get upset b/c you "perceive" my tone as snotty?
Last edited by Ki on Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

Zarathustra wrote:
Damelon wrote:You are trying to paint all Muslims with the same broad brush.
No, I keep pointing out specific examples.
Damelon wrote:You are doing Bin Laden's work for him.
Really? You're going to go there? I posted facts. You can dispute them if you want. But don't accuse me of doing Bin Laden's work. You need to get a grip on yourself. You're losing it.
I'm losing it? I'm not the one who took a story about a football practice and turned into an example as to how the Muslims were taking over the country.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Lord Mhoram wrote:
Zarathustra wrote: You're more interested in criticizing me than entertaining the possibility that this imam is not what the New York Times claims he is.
How about what the FBI claims he is? Do you think the FBI would use an anti-American radical as a consultant?
I will check out your link and your evidence later. I just wanted to chime in and thank you for engaging me on the question of evidence, rather than making me the issue. I wouldn't even care if people accused me of being inconsistent with my principles, such as appearing to violate my respect for the Constitution. They'd be wrong, but at least I wouldn't take offense at the charge. It's exactly what I accused liberals of doing ... being inconsistent in their positions by taking up for a group and a belief system which runs counter to their own principles. We seem to have a couple newbies who don't post much in the Tank, don't quite know how to walk this line when emotions are running high. I just wanted to give you credit and show others that I'm willing to be proved wrong on the evidence, if that's the case. It doesn't have to be this way.
Lord Mhoram wrote: When Muslims build a community center in our most affluent city in an effort to reach out and build cultural ties, and we react with disgust and reject them, we totally reaffirm what al-Qaeda says we are -- intolerant cultural warriors.
That's the liberal narrative. Whenever they disagree with conservatives, we must be racist, bigots, fear-mongers, and violence inciters. It's the same damn play every time. Insult those with whom you disagree. They accuse conservatives of demonizing Muslims, but don't hesitate to demonize conservatives.

Most of us are making exactly the same distinction Obama has made: of course they have a Constitutional right to build the mosque. And we can have a Constitutional right to protest it. But the distinction is ignored because it's easier to simply think conservatives are "intolerant cultural warriors," and once again (like with the health care debate) dissent is demonized.

If the imam turns out just as moderate and innocent as the liberals claim, then I take back every word I've said about him and his mosque!! I've already said this to SerScot, and it went completely ignored! I fully expect it to be ignored again. People would rather think of me in a caricature, because it's easier to argue against.

On the issue of the Dearborn highschool ... for me it has nothing to do with denying people their religion. It's all about PREFERENTIAL treatment for one religion at a government entity. It's really not that hard to understand, as long as one isn't hell bent on dismissing that point by calling me intolerant or in league with Bin Laden.

Lord Mhoram wrote:What is being waged today -- by demagogues on the right and in the Democratic Party who don't support Park51 at least in principle -- is a cultural war against Islam. It's an attempt to curb First Amendment rights in the name of fear. It's a shameful attempt to connect mainstream, middle-class American Muslims with Middle Eastern Islamist fundamentalist radicals.
But what if he actually is a radical in disguise? Did you know that in 2001 the New York times was praising Imam Anwar Al-Awlaki from Dar al-Hijra mosque in Virginia (now know as the "9/11 mosque" where several of the hijackers came from)? The same imam that Obama has now ordered to be assassinated? The NYT held him up as "a new generation of Muslim leader capable of merging East and West," according to an article in today's Wall Street Journal. The artical also notes that NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams, in 2004, stated, "It's the TV industry's newest experiment, 'Bridges TV,' billing itself the 'American-Muslim lifestyle network,' featuring movies, documentaries, cartoons. . . . It's the brainchild of Aasiya Hassan, an architect, and her husband, Muzzamil Hassan, a banker, who are disturbed that negative images of Muslims seem to dominate TV, especially since 9/11." This "bridge builder," celebrated by the liberal media later decapitated his wife. I just don't trust the liberal media when they tell me an imam is a moderate, especially when there is evidence to the contrary. I didn't assume this man was a radical from the beginning. I only did so after hearing his own words.

What you're accusing the conservatives--and some Democrats, to your credit--of doing, is what many liberals do to Christians all the time. This same sensitivity to "religious persecution" seems to fly out the window when we're discussing abortion bombers and right to lifers. Then liberals want to lump all Christians together, and no longer care about this careful nuance. I think it's a fair distinction to point out, and ask liberals: why the discrepancy?
Last edited by Zarathustra on Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

Two questions for Mhoram, Damelon, Fist and Aliantha: Do you believe Imam Abdul Rauf's stated intention that the mosque will serve as a bridge between cultures and religions? Do you believe that the mosque, if constructed at the proposed site, will, in fact, help unite disparate religions and cultures?
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Ki wrote:There are people on this board who talk about my husband on Facebook and they know that I will see it.
I apologize for that. I didn't know your real name, and so wouldn't have known you from Adam even if I'd thought to check Menolly's friends list before I posted on her wall. And I didn't say anything there that I haven't said here. But that's no excuse; I shouldn't have talked about Z in a public forum there. I would have apologized to you via Facebook message but you'd blocked me.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Apologies to the rest of you for the double post. I didn't want to combine this with the last one (for what I hope are obvious reasons).
Brinn wrote:Two questions for Mhoram, Damelon, Fist and Aliantha: Do you believe Imam Abdul Rauf's stated intention that the mosque will serve as a bridge between cultures and religions? Do you believe that the mosque, if constructed at the proposed site, will, in fact, help unite disparate religions and cultures?
1. It's not a mosque. See Cail's post above.

2. As it's a recreational and cultural center, yeah, it might. Unlike those batshit crazy parents in Texas or wherever it was :roll:, I support and encourage people to learn about others' religious beliefs. I believe I've said before, here in the Tank, that I would love to see a comparative religion class required for all US schoolchildren. The best way to un-demonize the enemy is to learn enough about them to realize that they're human, too.

Z, I'm not scared *of* you, I'm scared *for* you. You're quoting stuff from a handful of far-far-far-left loony-tunes blogs and websites, and your posts read, to me, as if you: a) believed it all; and b) were trying to convince the rest of us to believe it, too. Are you now saying that you were simply playing devil's advocate with all this anti-Islam propaganda? Because it sure sounded to me like you were serious.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

Brinn,

Mayor Bloomberg, from what I understand, seems to think the answer is yes to both of those questions.

As to the football practices, didn't I point out that everyone who could have had an objection to do what they did was brought onboard? It's NOT about preferential treatment. For that community it's about WINNING FOOTBALL GAMES! Nothing more. There is no hidden meaning.
Last edited by Damelon on Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Alright guys, take it easy. This is what I get for asking people to be civil huh?

And let's please try and keep our responses proportionate. There are ways and ways to say things. Let's try and put a little thought into the best way of doing so.

Thanks.

--A
rusmeister
The Gap Into Spam

Post by rusmeister »

One more thread that I probably shouldn't even comment on...

One thing that has always seemed obvious to me, at least in recent years, is that if it doesn't matter what you believe - if all truth is relative or there is no truth, then obviously it shouldn't matter whether a mosque or a temple to Moloch is built anywhere at all. Because it's just another idea that isn't true - maybe because there is no truth, just individual perspective, which doesn't mean anything to anyone else (which would make us unable to communicate).

If we ask whether a belief is true or not, then obviously it does matter. If Islam is true, then it OUGHT to be built. If it is not, then it ought not.

If people disagree on the question of truth, they certainly won't come to a consensus on any "should" whatsoever -except by happy coincidence (I could go into how the moral compass prevents complete randomness, but we haven't even made it that far into the discussion and don't agree on whether there is one.)

United we stand. Divided we fall. The trouble with pluralism is that it creates only an illusion of unity by saying that you can believe whatever you want, because what you believe doesn't matter. It doesn't and cannot reflect truth that also affects me.

So "divided we fall" it is.
"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one." Bill Hingest ("That Hideous Strength" by C.S. Lewis)

"These are the days when the Christian is expected to praise every creed except his own." G.K. Chesterton
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

Here's what Ron Paul has to say about this controversy:

westernstandard.blogs.com/shotgun/2010/08/libertarians-on-the-cordoba-center.html
It is repeatedly said that 64% of the people, after listening to the political demagogues, don’t want the mosque to be built. What would we do if 75% of the people insist that no more Catholic churches be built in New York City? The point being is that majorities can become oppressors of minority rights as well as individual dictators. Statistics of support is irrelevant when it comes to the purpose of government in a free society – protecting liberty.

The outcry over the building of the mosque, near ground zero, implies that Islam alone was responsible for the 9/11 attacks. According to those who are condemning the building of the mosque, the nineteen suicide terrorists on 9/11 spoke for all Muslims. This is like blaming all Christians for the wars of aggression and occupation because some Christians supported the neo-conservative’s aggressive wars.

The House Speaker is now treading on a slippery slope by demanding an investigation to find out just who is funding the mosque – a bold rejection of property rights, 1st Amendment rights, and the Rule of Law – in order to look tough against Islam.

This is all about hate and Islamaphobia.
Rep. Paul is right.
"Futility is the defining characteristic of life. Pain is proof of existence" - Thomas Covenant
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

Rus,

It's not about what we believe is true. I believe that attempting to use secular law to force people onto a Christian path is wrong, even if you believe that path is true. Christ was not about forcing people to believe in him. He never was and attempting to use the State, force, to bring people to Christ, in my opinion perverts Christ's message. Individuals come to him in their own time and in their own ways.

Free will is essential. When force is applied as an alternative. Free will is lost.
"Futility is the defining characteristic of life. Pain is proof of existence" - Thomas Covenant
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

Ali wrote:As it's a recreational and cultural center, yeah, it might.
Ok...it might. But my question was, what do you personally think are the odds of this occurring? 90% chance that it serves as a bridge? 50% chance? 10% chance? I'm asking you, very specifically, what you believe to be the case.
Damelon wrote:Mayor Bloomberg, from what I understand, seems to think the answer is yes to both of those questions.
What do you believe?
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

Brinn wrote:
Damelon wrote:Mayor Bloomberg, from what I understand, seems to think the answer is yes to both of those questions.
What do you believe?
Which means if the Mayor of the city where it is to be located is fine with it, who am I to say no. He knows the Imam, I don't. I really don't care one way or another about what is going on there. Up thread, I pointed to a post from Governor Christie that seems about the best political response to all that. I'm more concerned in this thread about how Muslims in this country should be viewed in general. Which is why I am discussing the football practice.
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

Isn't that kind of a cop-out Damelon? What if Z said that he agreed with NY gubernatorial candidate Rick Lazio (who is against the mosque) because he's more familiar with the situation and left it at that?

Would you be satisfied with that response?

Would it be a mischaracterization of your position to state that you believe that the building of the community center is 100% certain to lead to a better understanding between Muslims and other's within the community based upon Mayor Bloomberg's opinion? Do you have any personal thoughts on this matter aside from endorsing Mayor Bloomberg's opinion?
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Brinn wrote:
Ali wrote:As it's a recreational and cultural center, yeah, it might.
Ok...it might. But my question was, what do you personally think are the odds of this occurring? 90% chance that it serves as a bridge? 50% chance? 10% chance? I'm asking you, very specifically, what you believe to be the case.
In Manhattan? Relatively slim, I suppose. But I'd give that same chance to *any* religious "bridge".

I think a more pertinent question at this point is whether its presence would *hurt* relationships between the various religions. And I don't think that will happen unless some Islamophobe goes there with a gun.

What do you think, Brinn?

EZ Board Survivor

Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

SerScot wrote:Here's what Ron Paul has to say about this controversy:

westernstandard.blogs.com/shotgun/2010/08/libertarians-on-the-cordoba-center.html
It is repeatedly said that 64% of the people, after listening to the political demagogues, don’t want the mosque to be built. What would we do if 75% of the people insist that no more Catholic churches be built in New York City? The point being is that majorities can become oppressors of minority rights as well as individual dictators. Statistics of support is irrelevant when it comes to the purpose of government in a free society – protecting liberty.

The outcry over the building of the mosque, near ground zero, implies that Islam alone was responsible for the 9/11 attacks. According to those who are condemning the building of the mosque, the nineteen suicide terrorists on 9/11 spoke for all Muslims. This is like blaming all Christians for the wars of aggression and occupation because some Christians supported the neo-conservative’s aggressive wars.

The House Speaker is now treading on a slippery slope by demanding an investigation to find out just who is funding the mosque – a bold rejection of property rights, 1st Amendment rights, and the Rule of Law – in order to look tough against Islam.

This is all about hate and Islamaphobia.
Rep. Paul is right.
Ron Paul says that 19 terrorists can't speak for all Muslims, but all of a sudden he can speak for everyone who is against the mosque? How does he know it's about hate and Islamaphobia? How does he know we blame all Muslims for 9/11? I haven't heard a single person say this.

And the Speaker wanting to investigate the funding of the mosque ... he's just plain wrong about the facts. Pelosi wanted to investigate those who oppose the mosque! That's pathetic. Get your facts straight, Ron.

Look, people protest things all the time. This doesn't make them intolerant. They are just expressing their preferences for what kind of culture and politics they want to shape our country. Some people don't want a Walmart in their community, so they protest. Some people don't like what the Whole Foods CEO wrote in an op-ed, so they boycott. I personally think all religion is damaging to the human spirit, so I boycott ALL churches.

When we attach "-phobia" to the item being protested, we turn this into an issue of legitimacy, with only one side being able to legitimately voice its opinion. Should we start talking about Walmartophobia? WholeFoodsophobia? It's just a way to diminish the opinions of the other side, without really addressing the content of the argument.

People can like whatever the hell they want. I do not like religion. That's why I'm an atheist. I don't care if they are "moderate." I think they are still dangerous (just like some people seem to think Walmart is dangerous, even though it doesn't support terrorism, either). But when religious fanatics start flying planes into buildings, my dislike for religion in general takes on a much stronger distaste. And it gets a lot more specific. I think Islam is the worst religion on the planet. I'm not required to like it or respect it by our Constitution. And I don't need Ron Paul--or any of you--to preach to me about intolerance simply because I see evil in religion. That's what atheism *is.* It's a political myth that we must respect religions simply because people have the Constitutional right to hold these wacky, destructive, irrational beliefs. In my perfect world, there would be no religion. I don't take John Lennon's song as just a pretty tune. I can Imagine a much better world if there were no churches or mosques at all. Especially ones that are built (in my opinion) as a sign of victory over the graves of innocent Americans.

You don't have to agree with me. I'm not as naive as Lennon to think one day you'll join me. But perhaps you (i.e. those throwing around the word "intolerant") will ask yourselves just how tolerant you are toward an opposing view before you start accusing others.
rusmeister
The Gap Into Spam

Post by rusmeister »

SerScot wrote:Rus,

It's not about what we believe is true. I believe that attempting to use secular law to force people onto a Christian path is wrong, even if you believe that path is true. Christ was not about forcing people to believe in him. He never was and attempting to use the State, force, to bring people to Christ, in my opinion perverts Christ's message. Individuals come to him in their own time and in their own ways.

Free will is essential. When force is applied as an alternative. Free will is lost.
Of course. For some reason, though, you consistently see attempts to act politically, to form the kind of society you want to live in, as opposed to merely watching others form one in which you don't, as attempts to convert them to the Faith. I don't see that at all. They are free to reject the Faith. If I can prevent them from certain public behaviors and actions - in public - such as drunkenness, then that by no means involves forcing them to my faith. People will at least know that some kind of behavior is actually disapproved of somewhere at some level, and that if engaged in, it jolly well ought to be hidden and not paraded.

If I follow your ideas to their conclusion, you think we should take no political action whatsoever - ever. If you vote at all, then you are enforcing your will - if your vote represents power at all.

On Ron Paul, et al, I amazingly find myself in agreement with Z ( 8O a first on the Watch!) and disagreement with you. Most especially about the claim of hate and islamophobia. As defenders of homosexual behavior misuse a term (homophobia) false as applied to the overwhelming majority that it is applied to (valid for hardly more than 1 or 2 %), so islamophobia is a misuse. It implies unreasonable fear of islam or muslims and excludes the idea that it might not be hate, it might not be fear, and it might actually be reasonable opposition.

I'd suggest that you check with Orthodox teaching on Islam and homosexuality (although we can leave the latter on the other thread.) Do you accept those teachings or not? Are they true or not?
If you really are Orthodox, there can be only one answer.

In that case, all we need to deal with is how we understand the application of political force by Christians - whether it can ever be right or not. Obviously, I believe that it can be right - although a monk would be right to withdraw to a monastery and not exercise it, laity certainly are not in the wrong by exercising it.

We ought to be working toward the teachings of our Faith as truth, not mere personal opinion that we have no right to even expose others to, and correspondingly, we should work to limit false teachings and lies - even though we are not engaged in forced conversion in doing so. That includes both the Gospel of Jesus Christ and the diagnosis of sin that ever fewer people are aware of in our time that makes the Gospel good news.

Free will remains. But we do restrain people from the idea that murder or suicide are good. We do restrain people from thinking that sexual misconduct is good, and at the time of this writing, politicians and businessmen still lose their positions over moral misconduct - because we enforce what we believe to be true on them - and it is right to do so.
"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one." Bill Hingest ("That Hideous Strength" by C.S. Lewis)

"These are the days when the Christian is expected to praise every creed except his own." G.K. Chesterton
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

An article from the Washington Post which criticizes both sides, Reps and Dems, and clearly draws the distinction (which Obama--and myself--made) between legality and wisdom.
Ground Zero mosque protected by First Amendment--but it's still salt in a wound

I wrote a column about the proposed Muslim community center within sight of Ground Zero in May, before right-wing Republicans who hate everything about New York City got into the act and started lecturing us about what we ought and ought not to do to respect the 9/11 victims. I had not planned to write any more about this subject, but the past week's debate has revealed an astonishing obduracy on the part of both sides. On the one hand, right-wing Know-Nothings are displaying their ignorance of the First Amendment for all the world to see; on the other, many liberals--including New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg--seem incapable of distinguishing between what is legal and what is wise.

First, any attempt to prevent the building of a Muslim community center near Ground Zero because the World Trade Center was attacked by other Muslims is a clear violation of the First Amendment. You don't like the idea, you'll have to repeal that amendment. And although Sen. Lindsay Graham (R-FLA SC) wants to repeal the Fourteenth Amendment to deny citizenship to American-born babies of illegal aliens, I doubt that there will be much support for jettisoning the entire Bill of Rights. (I could be wrong about this, though. Some days it seems that nothing is too crazy in the current political climate.)

Second, if the local imam and Muslim developer who are behind this project had possessed any sensitivity and foresight, they would have bought a piece of property further uptown and built their center on a spot where it could have done the same work of promoting interfaith understanding (which is what they say they intend) without reopening what remains a deep wound for many New Yorkers. In my first column, I described it as politically inept to locate a Muslim center within sight of Ground Zero, but I now realize that was a tremendous understatement. Pushing to build a conspicuous Muslim institution near this site demonstrates a profound lack of emotional intelligence and understanding of the raw emotions that are the legacy of the terrorist attacks.

Third, Mayor Bloomberg--who is playing the role of a defender of tolerance in this dispute--was the one who displayed true political ineptness. What he should have done, long before this story went public, was organize a private meeting with everyone involved. He should have tried to persuade the imam and the developer that far from promoting tolerance, this center on this site would arouse destructive passions on all sides and should therefore be built at another location.

I'm not going to waste any more space on the hypocritical right-wing Republicans--the same people who voted last week against federally guaranteed medical care for first responders whose health has been permanently damaged by the toxic fumes they breathed in during the hours, days and weeks after 9/11. The Right's representatives hate New York's ethnic, racial and religious mix and its cultural sophistication--in fact, they hate just about everything about my city except the dividend checks they get from Wall Street investment banks.

And let me say this again: if I were a judge, and one of the lawsuits devised to block the construction of this facility reached my court--I would rule that the First Amendment clearly protects the construction of any religious facility, anywhere.

But there is so much more at issue here than legality. The New York Times, in an editorial titled "A Monument to Tolerance," praises Mayor Bloomberg for calling the plan "as important a test of the separation of church and state as we may ever see in our lifetime." Bloomberg is acting as if Ground Zero is the perfect place for this so-called test of the separation of church and state and implying that the feelings of this project's opponents count for nothing. What this mosque is going to be is not a monument to tolerance but a monument to bitter divisions.

The Times editorial also attacked the Anti-Defamation League for joining in the "rationalization of bigotry" attributed by the newspaper's editorial board to all who oppose this mosque in this location. Robert B. Sugarman, national chairman of the Anti-Defamation League, pointed out that the organization had not challenged the legal right to build a mosque at Ground Zero. "We simply appealed to the initiators to consider the sensitivities of the victims and find another location," he wrote. As it happens, the ADL, which originated to fight anti-Semitism, has spoken out many times since 9/11 and decried bigotry against Muslims, including the ignorant right-wing criticisms of Minnnesota Rep Keith Ellison, the first Muslim Congressman, for taking his oath of office on the Koran. To be classified as bigoted for objecting to the location of this project--without denying the First Amendment right to build it--is completely unjust.

Several On Faith panelists have ridiculed opposition to this mosque by asking, "How far is far enough away?" from Ground Zero. In fact, just a few blocks farther away probably would have been far enough to avoid this controversy. If this center were being built ten blocks to the north, Bloomberg could have presided at the groundbreaking along with imams, rabbis, ministers, priests, and those among the 9/11 families (yes, they are real people whose feelings count too) who have supported the proposed project near Ground Zero.

Thomas L. Friedman, a columnist for whom I have great respect, describes opposition to this project as "resistance to diversity." He writes, "When we tell the world, `Yes, we are a country that will even tolerate a mosque near the site of 9/11,' we send such a powerful message of inclusion and openness. It is shocking to other nations. But you never know who out there is hearing that message and saying: `What a remarkable country! I want to live in that melting pot, even if I have to build a boat from milk cartons to get there.'"

This is an utterly ridiculous statement, based on the kind of wishful thinking Friedman generally eschews. First, Islamist theocracies certainly are not going to portray this mosque as a symbol of "tolerance." That would mean admitting that freedom of religion is embedded in American law. Does Friedman seriously think that theocracies scared of Blackberries are going to publicize a monument to American openness? Is a mosque near Ground Zero going to convince deluded terrorists-in-waiting that America is really a wonderful place?

And why do we have to prove our "tolerance" to Islamic countries anyway? Let them prove to us that an atheist, a Jew, a Christian, an unveiled woman of any faith or no faith is as safe on their streets as women wearing the hajib and the niqab were on a recent flight I took from New York to Detroit.

A great many non-Muslim Americans are never going to see this mosque--precisely because of its location--as anything but an in-your-face insult. I don't know how anyone who lives in New York, from journalists to the mayor to the imam and the real estate developer, can have failed to realize this in advance.

And finally, this Muslim community center is going to be an expensive security nightmare for the City of New York. It could be a target for extremists of all varieties--including radical Islamists themselves. In Muslim countries, suicide bombers have not hesitated to attack mosques if that serves their political purpose of the moment. And the city will also have to worry about non-Muslim terrorists of the sort who propose "Second Amendment" solutions for everything they don't like.

This eruption of base passions could so easily have been avoided by advance planning and compromise. But if and when this center is finally built, it will stand as a monument not to tolerance but to utter political stupidity and to a religious correctness devoid of common sense.
link

By pretending that those who oppose the mosque are in favor of infringing on Constitutional rights, the two facets of this issue are conflated for pure political reasons. It's so easy to see this distinction, I can only conclude that those who do not are either willfully conflating the two issues for malicious reasons, or they are simply too clouded by their own emotions to think rationally.
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Zarathustra,
That's the liberal narrative. Whenever they disagree with conservatives, we must be racist, bigots, fear-mongers, and violence inciters. It's the same damn play every time. Insult those with whom you disagree. They accuse liberals of demonizing Muslims, but don't hesitate to demonize conservatives.
I have the courtesy not to make my responses to this topic about you or any other personality, as you noted. Now here's a thought: how about you make your responses without sweeping statements about liberals? I'm not making sweeping statements about conservatives or conservatism. Probably the staunchest conservative on this board (Cail) has come out in reluctant support of Park51. In fact, right-wing libertarianism is pretty cut and dry on the issue of freedom of religious expression (on which more in a second). But in any event, let's keep this germane to the discussion without digs at political ideologies.

The Constitution does not of course mandate tolerance. It does mandate freedom of religious expression, which is being curbed by blocking Park51 even by those opponents of the project like yourself who pay lip service to the First Amendment. What you are saying in essence is "Of course they can build it; we just don't want them to exercise their Constitutional rights." The First Amendment is as much an attitude as it is a technical device. It's meant to engender a culture in which persons can express themselves without indemnity. It doesn't mean anybody has to tolerate the views expressed; people just need to have the right to express them. That's the kind of culture we Americans have striven for since we achieved independence. Discouraging the building of a religious and cultural institution without any pragmatic basis is antithetical to the kind of culture the First Amendment is meant to build.

Furthermore, blocking this project is, again, an affirmation of the al-Qaeda narrative about what the United States stands for. The so-called "war on terrorism" is meant to destroy al-Qaeda's material and recruiting capabilities. That requires more than military operations. It requires political will. Blocking a mosque in our biggest city is not only a recruiting goldmine, it fits perfectly into al-Qaeda's justificatory narrative. According to today's Wall Street Journal, the propaganda effort has already begun. Opponents of Park51 like the columnist Zarahustra quoted and Newt Gingrich who say that "We can build a mosque in lower Manhattan when freedom of expression is allowed in the Middle East" stoop to a pathetic low. Are theocracies and religious dictatorships the standard of freedom to which we hold ourselves? Fuck that. We are Americans. We have built a society in which any religion can express itself. Islam is included.
But what if he actually is a radical in disguise?
That's quite a big if. Your attempts to link him to radicalism -- the views he expressed in that interview -- are, internationally speaking, quite mainstream. Read any international security analyst (the issues of Foreign Affairs right after 9/11 for instance), and you'll see that anyone who thinks seriously about 9/11 always factors in US foreign policy actions in al-Qaeda's justification, and any serious terror analyst (e.g., Martha Crenshaw) always acknowledges that terrorists are trying to get attention. This imam has passed background checks by the FBI who hired him as a consultant, and right now he's on a speaking tour sponsored by the US State Department. My supposition is that he's clean.

Yours is a legitimate question, but you need to stop asking it as some point.

Mosques are not symbols of terrorism. The reason why this is about more than religious sensitivity is that nobody would given a damn if this were a church or a synagogue. So let's drop talk about religious tolerance and atheist secularism. This isn't about those issues. It's about Islam. We're risking erasing the distinction between moderate and mainstream Islam and fundamentalist Islamism.

In response to Brinn's question, the initiatives Park51 (modeled on the 92nd St. Y) would engender seem to me to be highly effective in building cultural ties. And the building of a community center in lower Manhattan would be a monument to the American tradition of religious freedom. The kind of American Muslim who would use Park51 are so utterly unrelated to the Arab Islamists who destroyed the World Trade Center that it makes no sense to punish them -- and that in fact is what opponents are trying to do by discouraging their project -- and it makes every sense to encourage them to, dare I say, repudiate the actions of the 9/11 attackers.

Think about it! A community center in downtown Manhattan built by Muslims is utterly antithetical to the tactics and message of al-Qaeda. And blocking that community center is utterly antithetical to the letter and spirit of American jurisprudence and the American historical tradition.

Return to “Coercri”