What fantasy/science fiction book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

After a brief diversion into some histroical fiction, back to Pratchett with Feet of Clay, and now Jingo.

--A
Spiral Jacobs
Giantfriend

Post by Spiral Jacobs »

Finished Nova, on to a re-read of Babel-17. I read both years ago, and am discovering lots of new things.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Nova is a classic.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Spiral Jacobs
Giantfriend

Post by Spiral Jacobs »

Loremaster wrote:Nova is a classic.
I know, I just finished it and seriously considered reading it again right away.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I need to reread Nova, Babel-17 was a lot of fun.
fall far and well Pilots!
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Just finished the last of the "Dune" prequels by the son.
What a waste.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

"Disciple of the Dog" by R. Scott Bakker.
Last edited by Brinn on Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

danlo wrote:I need to reread Nova, Babel-17 was a lot of fun.
Sammy Delaney! Love him. Nova and Babel-17 are two of my most favorite SRD² novels, but I hope you have also read Tales of Neveryon, which might be my favoritest.

Post by Avatar »

Dahlgren is my favourite of his.

Just finishing off The Fifth Elephant.

--A
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Avatar wrote:Dahlgren is my favourite of his.

Just finishing off The Fifth Elephant.

--A
huh...also my favorite Delaney, and Fifth Elephant made me laugh out loud more than any of the others.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Dalhgren is awe-inspiring, and worth spending time studying, so in one sense it's my favorite, but it's a lot of work, and I would not routinely offer it up as a 'favorite' reading suggestion. (And if you really want to understand Dahlgren, you need to read The Straits of Messina, which includes the author's own breakdown of the story, including his explanation as to why the book has no beginning nor ending.) SRD²'s Neveryona series, which begins with Tales of Neveryon, is far more accessible, and as momentously enjoyable as Nova and The Ballad of Beta 2. But, alas, apparently no one knows about it. Tales was recently reprinted.

Post by Avatar »

Going Postal.

--A
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

--A
Calm down, Avatar. Have some coffee :P
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

--A
Didn't you read that about 3 months ago?
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Post by thewormoftheworld'send »

wayfriend wrote:Dalhgren is awe-inspiring, and worth spending time studying, so in one sense it's my favorite, but it's a lot of work, and I would not routinely offer it up as a 'favorite' reading suggestion. (And if you really want to understand Dahlgren, you need to read The Straits of Messina, which includes the author's own breakdown of the story, including his explanation as to why the book has no beginning nor ending.)
I read Dahlgren about 25 years ago. I'm not sure what was so awe-inspiring. The margin writings made it confusing. Maybe I should look to Straits for a clue.

Edit - The connection with Finnegan's Wake became apparent to me a few years after reading Dhalgren. Although the question remains, why do it this way? Why write a circular novel (or anti-novel)? Finnegan's Wake is art, so I can understand that. But if Delaney was trying to be a Joyce imitator, he doesn't even come close.
Tales of a Warrior-Prophet has gone Live on Amazon KDP Vella! I'm very excited to offer the first three chapters for free. Please comment, review and rate, and of course Follow to receive more episodes. Two hundred free tokens may be available for purchases. https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/episode/B09YQQYMKH

Read my Whachichun Tatanka (White Buffalo) Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blog/posts/8175040473578337186
FB: https://www.facebook.com/WhiteBuffalo.W ... unTatanka/
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/white_buffalo

Post by Avatar »

Stonemaybe wrote:
:lol: I don't think so. Anyway, onto Making Money now.
WotWE wrote:But if Delaney was trying to be a Joyce imitator, he doesn't even come close.
I dunno...I enjoy Dahlgren a lot more than Finnegan's Wake. And it wasn't so much a work of art, as a joke. Joyce himself said that people would be arguing about Finnegan's Wake for a thousand years. And the works analysing it long ago exceeded every word Joyce ever wrote.

--A
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Post by thewormoftheworld'send »

Stonemaybe wrote:
:lol: I don't think so. Anyway, onto Making Money now.
WotWE wrote:But if Delaney was trying to be a Joyce imitator, he doesn't even come close.
I dunno...I enjoy Dahlgren a lot more than Finnegan's Wake. And it wasn't so much a work of art, as a joke. Joyce himself said that people would be arguing about Finnegan's Wake for a thousand years. And the works analysing it long ago exceeded every word Joyce ever wrote.

--A
I'm not looking at this from my subjective liking. I enjoyed the weirdness of Dahlgren, although after a few hundred pages it got a bit old. And I finished reading Dahlgren, whereas I found Finnegan's to be unreadable. On the other hand, I consider Finnegan's to be art. I don't have to like art for it to be art. And I consider Dahlgren to be some kind of cheap knock-off. I just happen to like cheap knock-offs better, but not by much.
Tales of a Warrior-Prophet has gone Live on Amazon KDP Vella! I'm very excited to offer the first three chapters for free. Please comment, review and rate, and of course Follow to receive more episodes. Two hundred free tokens may be available for purchases. https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/episode/B09YQQYMKH

Read my Whachichun Tatanka (White Buffalo) Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blog/posts/8175040473578337186
FB: https://www.facebook.com/WhiteBuffalo.W ... unTatanka/
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/white_buffalo
pat5150
Giantfriend

Post by pat5150 »

Finished Brandon Sanderson's The Way of Kings.

Due to a number of shortcomings, I felt that it wasn't the great work we were told we'd get, but it's nevertheless a good read.

As far it being the next big thing in the fantasy genre, we'll have to wait and see. Compared to other opening chapters of great sagas, it's a distant last to frontrunners such as The Eye of the World, A Game of Thrones, and Gardens of the Moon.

Check out the blog for the full review. :)

Cheers,

Patrick
www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

Pat,

Hey, I didn't know you posted here too.

:)

I've got System of the World on hold while I hit a bunch of non-fiction resulting from reading Anathem which I loved.
"Futility is the defining characteristic of life. Pain is proof of existence" - Thomas Covenant
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Sanderson always seemed ignorant of the genre he's writing in. He always seems to go over old ground and claim it's groundbreaking.

Oh, and Jack Vance's Lyonnesse: Sultran's Garden.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”