How do you feel today? v. 3.0

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Good luck man and don't get your Righteous and Ummayad Caliphs mixed up!
fall far and well Pilots!
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

danlo wrote:Is the box set an anthology? BTW I read your review of the Scalzi book--is it worth picking up?
It's a biography/memoir by a writer. This one, in fact: nicolagriffith.com/party.html
Seeing the reviews on that page there (and who the reviews come from) is making me think it's probably quite good.

As for The Android's Dream - yes, it's a good read, very entertaining. I'm thinking about not calling them reviews any more, I don't feel like they deserve the name.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Ah! Nicola Griffith! I always see her stuff advertised on Locus and All Sci-Fi.com, that gives me pause, for some reason...
JazFusion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by JazFusion »

CovenantJr wrote:
JazFusion wrote:yaaayy congrats cag

iam incrediblyl it rigthonw whipped cream vodkak and gigner le

i want tot ovidit icelanf

i ahev noidea what i'm typgin riht no whwhehwwww soemone tkae wwyay my intennet
:haha: I don't think I've ever been so far gone that my typing was that bad. Besides, 'don't go online while drunk' is a fundamental rule of modern life!
Translation:

I am so incredibly lit right now. Whipped cream vodka and ginger ale. I want to go to Iceland. I have no idea what I'm typing right now. Wheeeee Someone take away my internet.

And in my defense, whipped cream vodka does not taste like vodka. It's apparently 70 proof, but tastes like candy. I kept pouring and pouring.....and I guess poured about a half of a 20 oz cup. Then had another.

I normally don't drink and type. I apologize for my drunk interneting.

P.S. - No, I didn't have a hangover.

P.P.S. - I was looking at a trip to Iceland when the vodka hit.

P.P.P.S. - I'm glad I never went on the internet on Christmas when I was drinking 151 proof rum and eggnog.
"Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt." - Kurt Vonnegut
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Image "No Lois, I'm not drunk, I'm just exhausted from staying up and drinking all night."
JazFusion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by JazFusion »

In any case, I'm having a downer of a day. It's the first day of packing, hence the booze last night. The son is confused. I'm not so sure I will be able to handle all of this gracefully. I'm also not so sure we'll be able to move into the in-laws' place without a huge blow-up occurring.

I've expressed to my husband that I want to go back home to my mom's for an extended vacation. I only get to see her once a year anyways, and with this happening, it'd be good to clear my head. But he went livid on me and now I probably won't be able to see my mom in the near future anytime soon.

My life sucks. You can always count on that.

I sincerely hope everyone else is having a better time.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

JazFusion wrote:I've expressed to my husband that I want to go back home to my mom's for an extended vacation. I only get to see her once a year anyways, and with this happening, it'd be good to clear my head. But he went livid on me and now I probably won't be able to see my mom in the near future anytime soon.
Harsh. Why would he do that?
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

CovenantJr wrote:
JazFusion wrote:I've expressed to my husband that I want to go back home to my mom's for an extended vacation. I only get to see her once a year anyways, and with this happening, it'd be good to clear my head. But he went livid on me and now I probably won't be able to see my mom in the near future anytime soon.
Because he's reading too much into it.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
JazFusion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by JazFusion »

CovenantJr wrote:
He's afraid I'm going to leave him, in a nutshell. I could expand upon that, but it's long and I feel I already add enough doom and gloom to this thread.

So here's a kitty!

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

danlo wrote:Ah! Nicola Griffith! I always see her stuff advertised on Locus and All Sci-Fi.com, that gives me pause, for some reason...
I'd actually never heard of her before. :oops: But hey, that means it's done her good and might get her a new reader, heh.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

JazFusion wrote:
CovenantJr wrote:
He's afraid I'm going to leave him, in a nutshell.
Wow. Well if he thinks that's a real possibility, doing his nut isn't going to help. :?

Thanks for the kitten. Like any good investment, your kitten has multiplied.

JazFusion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by JazFusion »

CovenantJr wrote:Wow. Well if he thinks that's a real possibility, doing his nut isn't going to help. :?
Wait. What?!
CovenantJr wrote:Thanks for the kitten. Like any good investment, your kitten has multiplied.
<3 !! I just...need thousands of kitten right now. In my room. Everywhere. And a baby to cuddle. And a unicorn.

So I went to the gym tonight to burn off some depression/anger. Two hours later I called it quits, then went home to have a candlelit bath. Whee. The end.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

JazFusion wrote:
CovenantJr wrote:Wow. Well if he thinks that's a real possibility, doing his nut isn't going to help. :?
Wait. What?!
Having a temper tantrum. ;)

--A
Elfgirl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Elfgirl »

Hi gang - long time no see! RL keeping me busy, and at least I got to keep "MY" job as a graphic designer! They had a 'marketing review' and decided only 1 designer was necessary (without taking into account that the two of us were actually being paid HALF the dollars it would cost to outsource...that's senior management for you - DUH)

So, to justify the insane amount of consultant's fees they paid this bozo to come up with this solution, they 'interviewed' my colleague & I and I got teh nod. Sucks for him, but (at my age) I'm glad I'M not the one who'll have to hunt out another job. He doesn't either (public service get 'redeployed') but I'd go berserk if I didn't have a 'creative' job.

This'll do for another year. Then I'll take my long service leave at half-pay, do freelancing for 6 months & then think about going on the dole to recoup my (WASTED) taxes! :roll:

Real life - can't ditch it, can't kill the bastards who make it hard for you. Well, you CAN, but nobody likes you anymore after that...
ImageImageImage
"Right away would be good. Right now would be better"
-- Nick Succorso

OK, so what's the speed of dark?- Larry the Cable Guy
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

You can kill the bastards but you have to wait for a revolution or something first :)
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

JazFusion wrote:
Wait. What?!

--A
:lol: Indeed. I should have guessed that might confuse, and I should equally have guessed that Avatar would understand. :lol:

I suppose it following shortly after "in a nutshell" might have exacerbated the bafflement. :lol:
TheFallen
Master of Innominate Surquedry

Post by TheFallen »

CovenantJr wrote:
JazFusion wrote: Wait. What?!

--A
:lol: Indeed. I should have guessed that might confuse, and I should equally have guessed that Avatar would understand. :lol:

I suppose it following shortly after "in a nutshell" might have exacerbated the bafflement. :lol:
Probably not really for this thread, but I'm smiling at the confusion over "doing his nut" - mainly because I'm a Brit and also a linguist by training about a million years ago.

This difference between US and UK vernacular reminds me of a story about a UK national who was doing some part-time teaching on English literature in some US high school. It was the end of term on the wind-down towards summer vacation, so he set his class a 20 question translation exercise - basically translating UK lingo into its US equivalent. Many of the questions dealt with the usual suspects - phrases containing the words pavement, bonnet and boot, lift, first floor etc etc, but the one that stumped the entire class of 12th graders in its entirety was...

"I've got a bleeding ladder in my tights."

Of course, because of our exposure to US media, we on this side of the pond tend to have less of a comprehension issue when it comes to Americanisms.
Newsflash: the word "irony" doesn't mean "a bit like iron" :roll:

Shockingly, some people have claimed that I'm egocentric... but hey, enough about them

"If you strike me down, I shall become far stronger than you can possibly imagine."
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

TheFallen wrote:...but the one that stumped the entire class of 12th graders in its entirety was...

:haha:

The jocularity! :lol:
TheFallen
Master of Innominate Surquedry

Post by TheFallen »

CovenantJr wrote:
TheFallen wrote:...but the one that stumped the entire class of 12th graders in its entirety was...

Don't tell 'em! :twisted:
Newsflash: the word "irony" doesn't mean "a bit like iron" :roll:

Shockingly, some people have claimed that I'm egocentric... but hey, enough about them

"If you strike me down, I shall become far stronger than you can possibly imagine."
Lord

Post by Damelon »

TheFallen wrote:
CovenantJr wrote:

Don't tell 'em! :twisted:
Bah, that's what google is for :P

Return to “General Discussion Forum”