What fantasy/science fiction book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Fist and Faith wrote:
danlo wrote:Sound like I'd much prefer the U. K. version---Americans are idiots, don't pander to them! :mrgreen:

I'm having a hard time getting past p. 350 of Memories of Ice, I'm trying my ass off guys, but I'm sorry, I'm just not as enthralled by all this as y'all...(also was trying hard so I could discuss Erikson with Fist at Elohimfest, but he's not coming this time so now I'm bummed...)
Sorry, mon ami. I blame Obama. No, the NY Legislature. No, the special interest groups. No...!!!

But, seriously, can't get into MoI?? You've read lots of Onos T'oolan, the Segulah, and Lady Envy! You've met the Grey Swords (and Itkovian is among the greatest characters ever created!)! You've seen more of the Bridgeburners, especially Quick Ben, who only gets MUUUUCH better! You've met Gruntle, who is an important character even in later books.

The battle for Capustan is going to begin soon. You'll see the horror that is the Pannion Domin.

And then, it's on to another, even bigger battle!!
What he said. I can remember MoI slowing down a bit, but it is totally worth it! It pays dividends within the same book!!!

It's what cemented by love for the series. Push through, get to the end, and if you still don't like it, I'd say that the light and joy of Malazan is not for you :P
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

Orlion wrote:
Fist and Faith wrote:
danlo wrote:Sound like I'd much prefer the U. K. version---Americans are idiots, don't pander to them! :mrgreen:

I'm having a hard time getting past p. 350 of Memories of Ice, I'm trying my ass off guys, but I'm sorry, I'm just not as enthralled by all this as y'all...(also was trying hard so I could discuss Erikson with Fist at Elohimfest, but he's not coming this time so now I'm bummed...)
Sorry, mon ami. I blame Obama. No, the NY Legislature. No, the special interest groups. No...!!!

But, seriously, can't get into MoI?? You've read lots of Onos T'oolan, the Segulah, and Lady Envy! You've met the Grey Swords (and Itkovian is among the greatest characters ever created!)! You've seen more of the Bridgeburners, especially Quick Ben, who only gets MUUUUCH better! You've met Gruntle, who is an important character even in later books.

The battle for Capustan is going to begin soon. You'll see the horror that is the Pannion Domin.

What he said. I can remember MoI slowing down a bit, but it is totally worth it! It pays dividends within the same book!!!

It's what cemented by love for the series. Push through, get to the end, and if you still don't like it, I'd say that the light and joy of Malazan is not for you :P
I really should get myself out of the muck and slog through GotM, but I just can't do it yet...
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

rdhopeca wrote:
Orlion wrote:
Fist and Faith wrote: Sorry, mon ami. I blame Obama. No, the NY Legislature. No, the special interest groups. No...!!!

I really should get myself out of the muck and slog through GotM, but I just can't do it yet...
You could start with Night of Knives. :biggrin:

Also, Danlo, you could always discuss Erikson with certain other Watchers at E-fest
- Herman Melville

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Maybe my problem with Erikson is that I don't really get into it until the first major battle occurs--
Spoiler
That and the second I really understand and get into the warrens they start getting sick and shutting down...
fall far and well Pilots!
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

danlo wrote:Maybe my problem with Erikson is that I don't really get into it until the first major battle occurs--
Spoiler
That and the second I really understand and get into the warrens they start getting sick and shutting down...
Spoiler
I don't remember, but I think Warrens get explained quite a bit in this book... I just don't remember where. Also, MoI pretty much happens concurrently to DHG *wink that indicates something unwritten*.
I could spell it out plainer, but I don't want to ruin it for anyone else (though the natural confusion inherent in the books makes that nearly impossible :biggrin: )

Also, I'm about a hundred pages into Return of the Crimson Guard, which is awwwwwesome.
- Herman Melville

-John Crowley
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

Just bought "The Crippled God" and two other Erikson books. About to dive in tonight to the crippled one.
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

I need to order Crippled God! I guess I'll do that when I'm almost through with Chapterhouse Dune.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Bradbury's Farenheit 451.

Hell Orlion...if we're racing, I better start GotM next. Figure about a week a book, I might just make it, if they get TCG quick enough. :D

--A
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Avatar wrote:Bradbury's Farenheit 451.

Hell Orlion...if we're racing, I better start GotM next. Figure about a week a book, I might just make it, if they get TCG quick enough. :D

--A
Let's see here... assuming you're not reading the Esselmont, that gives me 10 weeks to read 4 books... I've averaged a book every two weeks...

But in three weeks, I'm going to have to deal with three labs :evil:

It's going to be close....
- Herman Melville

-John Crowley

Post by Avatar »

Oh, I'll be reading the Esselmont too... :D

--A

Post by Avatar »

Night of Knives. :D

(I'm pretty sure I won't really be able to beat Orlion, even if TCG arrives on schedule. :lol: )

--A
hue of fuzzpaws
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by hue of fuzzpaws »

Grey Lensman by E.E. 'Doc' Smith
"Let's not fight. I don't like fighting" Frostheart Grueburn

Post by Avatar »

Gardens of the Moon.

--A
ninjaboy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ninjaboy »

I just finishe Time Out of Joint by P.K. Dick, found it really impressive.. A good short read too, compared to the 9 books of the TC Chrons I'd just finished reading (including a re-read of AATE).
And I just started reading le Guin's 'the Dispossessed' again today.. It's about 10 years since I read it last.
Forgive my death.
It was my flesh that failed you, not my love.
pat5150
Giantfriend

Post by pat5150 »

Just finished Joe Abercrombie's The Heroes. Though not as good as Best Served Cold, it was a doozy!

Also recently finished L. E. Modesitt, jr.'s Imager's Challenge. It's another solid effort by one of the most underappreciated SFF writers of his era.

Check the blog for both reviews. :)

Patrick
www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

Post by Avatar »

Eriksons DeadHouse Gates.

--A
Spiral Jacobs
Giantfriend

Post by Spiral Jacobs »

Listening to The Temporal Void by Hamilton. Part one was excellent and I'm enjoying this as well, it's just a shame that they changed narrators. The narrator of the first part was really great, read really dynamically and with a wide range of voices and accents, while this one is more level and characters tend to sound more or less similar.
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Spiral Jacobs wrote:Listening to The Temporal Void by Hamilton. Part one was excellent and I'm enjoying this as well, it's just a shame that they changed narrators. The narrator of the first part was really great, read really dynamically and with a wide range of voices and accents, while this one is more level and characters tend to sound more or less similar.
Yea, I'm listening to the Wounded Land (2nd Chronicles), and the lady reading it, is nowhere near the talent Scott Brick is on the 1st Chronicles and the Final Chronicles (Hopefully Scott Bryce will eventually do the 2nd Chronicles). She's got a Grandmotherly sounding voice, and I cringe at some of her pronunciations. Still, it is nice to have it on CD, and it is very worth listening to, jsut not stellar like Scott Brick
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

Post by Avatar »

Man, I can't listen to books. It's too damn slow. :lol: (How long is a reading of, say, TWL anyway?)

--A
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Avatar wrote:Man, I can't listen to books. It's too damn slow. :lol: (How long is a reading of, say, TWL anyway?)

--A
A disk holds up to 79:56. There were 20 files (so 20 Discs). I listen while commuting . Some of us don't read 350 pages a day :D
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”