The second ring. . .

Book 3 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, High Lord Tolkien

blingdomepiece
Servant of the Land

Post by blingdomepiece »

Romeo wrote:I had always hoped that Joan could somehow redeem herself. I was a little disappointed that she didn't. But then ... she couldn't. It's given me a bit of peace, however, that her last act - turning to the Ranyhyn - was one of love.
Oh, that part wrecked me. That and Jeremiah regaining consciousness. What a wuss :).
Romeo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Romeo »

Dagonet wrote:Regarding time travel: Why are we necessarily done? Linden can create caesures.

Regarding rightful wielders: Linden isn't a rightful wielder because she isn't the white gold. She's not a Creator. Covenant is; he writes books, he tells the stories which shape worlds. Jeremiah is a Creator too; he's already built an Arch of Time. But Creators can't fix their creations, can't heal them. That's Linden's job. A second ring might give Jeremiah the opportunity to construct a new world while the other ring. . . does what? Holds off the Worm? Helps redeem She Who Must Not Be Named so they can invert Kevin's Dirt and make a really big Forbidding?
So is Covenant going to marry ... Jeremiah? :-)
And then the ravens pecked out his eyes.
RFlowers
Servant of the Land

Post by RFlowers »

dlbpharmd wrote:re: Linden is not a "rightful wielder"

I have problems with this.

At the end of WGW, TC offers the ring to Linden, but she refuses. He then gives it to Foul. Linden takes the ring at Covenant's insistence ("pick up the ring!")

If I give something to someone, it's theirs. They can do with it whatever they want. Keep it, throw it away, sell it, give it to someone else. It is theirs until they decide it isn't.

Covenant gave the ring away. Linden picked it up after Foul disappeared.

So, who would be the rightful wielder of Joan's ring? Certainly not TC, because they're divorced.

The conclusion is inescapable, my friends.

TC's ring belongs to Lord Foul.
Joan's ring belongs to Roger now.
(Sorry about the thread necromancy; I just finished reading AATE, and I'm combing over this sub-board.)

I've always felt the same way as you. Yes, Covenant did give Foul the ring, but IIRC (my copy of WGW is not in front of me) his "ghost" did tell Linden to take it... right?

Also, at the end of the book, the text refers to "her wedding ring." To me, this implies 1) it's HER ring! and 2) she's married to Covenant(!). Now I see in the GI that Donaldson really downplays this interpretation, but that may be a throwaway line, but to me it speaks volumes.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Welcome to the Watch. Don't worry about resurrecting old threads. We like it.

--A
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I am definately half-expecting Covenant to give Linden his wife's ring. If he was to marry her the ring would become rightfully hers.
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

Murrin wrote:I am definately half-expecting Covenant to give Linden his wife's ring. If he was to marry her the ring would become rightfully hers.
Covenant: Sorry baby, I've got a new squeeze now.

Joan: You louse!

Covenant: Don't get snippety. Anyway, I want my ring back. [draws his trusty knife ... He now has the ring]

Covenant: Hey baby! Look what I've got. :D Come here...

Roger: I'll kill you :x

Return to “Against All Things Ending”