2011 KW Religious Composition Poll

Free discussion of anything human or divine ~ Philosophy, Religion and Spirituality

Moderators: Xar, Fist and Faith

With which of these labels do you self-identify?

Poll ended at Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:37 pm

Christian
22%
Jewish
7%
Muslim
No votes
Buddhist
4%
Wiccan/Pagan/Animist/Etc.
7%
Atheist
22%
Agnostic
19%
Other
19%

Total votes: 27

Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

So, I took it...much oddnes [especially description of "liberal Quaker"]

Your Top 3 Faith Match Profiles Are:
1. Neo-Pagan (100%)
2. Liberal Quakers (97%)
3. Unitarian Universalism (97%)
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Wow, looks like we'll have to build a UU church at the Watch commune. :lol:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

I've been thinking of pastoring a Sunday Watch service. :P. Despite as the head priest... We'd have to agree on some kind of creature to worship. Maybe a walrus with the head of a sealion?
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

aliantha wrote:Wow, looks like we'll have to build a UU church at the Watch commune. :lol:
Build may not be necessary, but to either establish one or foster good relations with one in the area might be worth doing.

Without restarting a conversation that not all were comfortable with last weekend, let's just say the UUs are amenable to officiating over some unconventional commitments, and will not raise excessive objections about the parties involved remaining aligned with their legacy faiths that do not countenance what these members are doing with their lives/loves.

LF: the Church of the Pinnaped may swim...but it ain't gonna fly!
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Surely, ali meant a UU here, at the Watch.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Fist, I don't think so.

While we very much missed you at Elohimfest, there was a lot of discussion there and subsequently here (in the Elohimfest thread and elsewhere) about gathering like-minded Watchers somewhere and not just consorting virtually, aside from the triennial 'fests that might not occur anymore once TLD has been released and the "last 'fest" has taken place.

I have no objection to UU practice and ritual here...but ali did say "Wow, looks like we'll have to build a UU church at the Watch commune." From that, I contend her intent was to advocate for this at the physical gathering of Watchers envisioned at Elohimfest 3 and discussed here on the Watch thereafter.

ali...am I off-base?
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Nope, SD, you are spot-on. Fist, there's always such a letdown after an E-fest, and a bunch of us really liked New Mexico, and several of us old farts are closing in on retirement age. So we sorta kinda started talking about a Watchers' enclave in NM. (The discussion is in the most recent pages of the E-fest thread in the General SRD forum.) But so far it's just talk.

Just for the record, I wasn't *that* uncomfortable with the discussion last weekend. (For one thing, it wasn't happening in *my* forum! :p)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

i am sure Alb. has a Catholic church Julie and I can join. :)
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Lord Foul wrote:
Loremaster wrote:Atheist, and proud of it.
Here...you can absorb my atheist experience points since I don't need them. :P
I need to reach level 15 so I can start wearing the Boots of Dawkins +4
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

Can we have a swimming pool in our church? Maybe an infinity one?
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Lord Foul wrote:Well; belief and lifestyle are often inextricably bound. Just ask the Middle-East! Or the Middle Ages. :P. Only recently has culture and religion divided into separate cells. Which is good. Or we'd be doing Crusade #133. :P

Still; in ways we often don't see, our beliefs reflect how we want to live.
I was referring to the studies done which showed that there was a massive difference in the UK between the number of people who answer "Christian" on the census, and the number of people who answer "Yes" to"Do you believe there is a god?". 15% of people answer "no religion" to the census; 30-40% answer "no" in other surveys where the question is posed differently.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Ah! Sorry SD. I, of course, didn't know about that conversation in Alb.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Murrin wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:Well; belief and lifestyle are often inextricably bound. Just ask the Middle-East! Or the Middle Ages. :P. Only recently has culture and religion divided into separate cells. Which is good. Or we'd be doing Crusade #133. :P

Still; in ways we often don't see, our beliefs reflect how we want to live.
I was referring to the studies done which showed that there was a massive difference in the UK between the number of people who answer "Christian" on the census, and the number of people who answer "Yes" to"Do you believe there is a god?". 15% of people answer "no religion" to the census; 30-40% answer "no" in other surveys where the question is posed differently.
Reminds me of a survey/study on matters religious I ran across years ago, I think while working on a paper about "A Lesson Before Dying"...don't remember exact numbers now, but something like 10% of people who don't believe any heaven exists say they're going to go to heaven...
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I can do that?!?

:lol:
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Loremaster wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:
Loremaster wrote:Atheist, and proud of it.
Here...you can absorb my atheist experience points since I don't need them. :P
I need to reach level 15 so I can start wearing the Boots of Dawkins +4
:LOLS: Awesome.
Murrin wrote:I was referring to the studies done which showed that there was a massive difference in the UK between the number of people who answer "Christian" on the census, and the number of people who answer "Yes" to"Do you believe there is a god?".
Religious affiliation, I've often thought, is often more a combination of upbringing and habit than other things.

--A
Harbinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Harbinger »

1. Nontheist (100%)
2. Secular Humanism (100%)
3. Unitarian Universalism (96%)
Never underestimate the power of denial. - Ricky Fitts
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

*bump*

u.
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

The results are in:

Judeo-Christian . . . . . . .29.5%

Buddhist . . . . . . . . . . . . . 4%

The Rest . . . . . . . . . . . 66.5%

Does that seem right?

About 2-to-1 non-religious-to-religious?

u.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Wait just a durn minute there, Mister Sir. How are you defining religious? Are you lumping Neopagans in with "the rest" and calling us non-religious?

EZ Board Survivor

Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

ussusimiel wrote:The results are in:

Judeo-Christian . . . . . . .29.5%

Buddhist . . . . . . . . . . . . . 4%

The Rest . . . . . . . . . . . 66.5%

Does that seem right?

About 2-to-1 non-religious-to-religious?

u.
No, it ain't right, I don't think. [well...maybe you are/it is, but I'd parse it differently...like this]: Only "atheist" qualifies completely as "non-religious," I would say...so it would be roughly 30% judeo-christian, 45% non-specific religiousity, 25% non-religious. [a 6 to 9 to 5 ratio, roughly...or a 3 to 1 religious-like to non-religious]

Return to “The Close”