Whither Rusmeister?

Free discussion of anything human or divine ~ Philosophy, Religion and Spirituality

Moderators: Xar, Fist and Faith

rusmeister
The Gap Into Spam

Whither Rusmeister?

Post by rusmeister »

I've been thinking a good deal about my intentions and goals in posting here.
I'm not looking for the same input from the same people who've already told me what they think of me.

I am sorry about the tremendous misunderstanding; I do see one of the biggest in the idea that 'a person is their beliefs'. That explains pretty much everything, above all why people took offense at things I said. For my part, I was always careful to avoid personal insult, which I see as fundamentally separate from one's beliefs. You will search in vain among all my posts for epithets like idiotic, insane, etc as applied to members here. You won't find cursing of people and comments like "friggin' idiot" or whatever in all of my posting, even though I experience that myself at the hands of a certain few other members here. I have already apologized for any such incidents and will express my regret yet again should you find anything of the sort. You will find ideas - IDEAS - labeled as "foolish", etc, as (I hope) we would all agree that the idea of flapping one's arms and jumping from a tall building will NOT result in flying; that there IS such a thing as a "damned-fool" idea. But not people. Because I see a difference.

I'm only telling what I see; I'm not inviting debate about it. From where I sit, I encounter a great deal of avoidance of my ideas, which I happen to share with people of the past* and when the debates on ideas fail, I see a turn to personal attacks. Nor will I point fingers here.

Obviously (or it OUGHT to be obvious), if a person IS their beliefs, then I am equally insulted when people challenge them - and yet no one was forthcoming with apologies for challenging my beliefs. It is a root self-contradiction, that says, beliefs may not be challenged - unless they challenge one's own beliefs. I'd say that from that perspective, I tolerated a great deal of insult myself - only I didn't see it as insult to begin with, because I can tell the difference between a person and their beliefs.

Anyway, someone made a comment about a pig, and I do not wish to annoy, or to point fingers as to who the pig is in the scenario. I think debate to be useless, because the debate is rigged from the beginning, and most people don't really want honest debate that goes deep - the people that do are the ones who did not come out with the ad hominems - I'll especially recognize folk like Cambo there as decently refraining from that and recognizing, to an extent, the root problem. (There are others, of course)

Why say anything? I think you guys are worth it - or at least enough of you have sufficient doubt or openness to make it worth while. Some people have been particular generous and thoughtful - from Murrin to Linna to LF, even though we differ and have drawn lines in our understandings. I'm willing to extend that further - that people who do get that I was never insulting might open up where now they are closed. But I won't debate here any more. The rules may be applied to everyone, and seen to be "fair" in that sense, but they do work against the traditional believer who does think that there is one particular view of the world that actually happens to be true. So I won't debate here. Even if people come onto my thread, "polluting" it with their own versions of events. This thread is not here for that. That's what the other locked thread is for, and since it has been established that I will get "special" treatment, and wear the yellow star, or yellow cross rather, I won't participate any more as a regular member, responding to all and sundry or intruding on their discussions where my ideas are not wanted.

So what's left? After all, I am a human being too, who like y'all, thinks myself to be rational and reasonable. I didn't arrive at my position through random insanity, but like many of you, through a series of life events and thought that convinced me of the truth of what I see.
I think, for people who are NOT closed off, very occasionally I can offer glimpses, thoughts from elsewhere, not my own anymore - since so many can't hear me anyway - that might cause some people to consider the ideas in there that they also see to be true - for I'm sure that many of us can find common ground on a number of things yet.

So, the occasional pm exchange will work for talking to such people, without having third parties come on to jeer or heckle. And maybe this kind of attitude and approach will do something positive for some people. But I won't participate in other people's threads any more. It does seem to dead-end into rudeness and personal attack.

All that said, I'll offer the one way that it seems to me that I may be able to communicate something to some people - without slamming doors, or even seeming to put someone down - to show that in the end there never was any insult intended to anyone. I've said often enough that the relatively high IQs found here attracted me; and I believe that is part of the problem, paradoxically enough. One can become TOO dependent on reason and exclude things like common sense, things that even uneducated peasants in the fields know to be true. Reason should be our servant, not our master, even though we should certainly pay careful attention to it.

I'll offer a thread or two in the Close and see how it goes. No debate; only explanation. The climate would have to change a great deal before I could consider debate again.

Again, this is meant to be a single post explaining (even to some people like Wyldwode who never come to the Close) what on earth happened to me here, not a thread discussion on KW policy, opinions of members or anything like that.

If you have an honest question, feel free to pm me! :)

*This is why I have said merely asking for a religious composition of self-identification in our own time (2011) is not nearly sufficient. Unless you clarify connection with belief of the past (from x BC to 1999 AD, for example) of people who identified as Christian, Muslim, etc, you have established nothing that tells us what people actually believe.
"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one." Bill Hingest ("That Hideous Strength" by C.S. Lewis)

"These are the days when the Christian is expected to praise every creed except his own." G.K. Chesterton
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Re: Whither Rusmeister?

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

rusmeister wrote:I've been thinking a good deal about my intentions and goals in posting here.
I'm not looking for the same input from the same people who've already told me what they think of me.
Ironic that you say this since your endless repetition is what makes me usually ignore your posts
rusmeister wrote:I am sorry about the tremendous misunderstanding; I do see one of the biggest in the idea that 'a person is their beliefs'. That explains pretty much everything, above all why people took offense at things I said. For my part, I was always careful to avoid personal insult, which I see as fundamentally separate from one's beliefs.
Nope. Telling someone repeatedly that their personal beliefs are wrong is as about personal as you can get.
rusmeister wrote: You will find ideas - IDEAS - labeled as "foolish", etc, as (I hope) we would all agree that the idea of flapping one's arms and jumping from a tall building will NOT result in flying; that there IS such a thing as a "damned-fool" idea. But not people. Because I see a difference.
But I thought you said that "you are your beliefs". Sounds like you're going to be insulted either way. Or are you not saying you think that? This is a great example of how you refuse to actually share any personal info and just toss shit out there.
rusmeister wrote: Obviously (or it OUGHT to be obvious), if a person IS their beliefs, then I am equally insulted when people challenge them - and yet no one was forthcoming with apologies for challenging my beliefs. It is a root self-contradiction, that says, beliefs may not be challenged - unless they challenge one's own beliefs. I'd say that from that perspective, I tolerated a great deal of insult myself - only I didn't see it as insult to begin with, because I can tell the difference between a person and their beliefs.
Your humility is astounding.
rusmeister wrote:I think debate to be useless, because the debate is rigged from the beginning, and most people don't really want honest debate that goes deep -

Then you're a lousy debater. It doesn't go your way and you throw a hissy fit and play the victim.

rusmeister wrote:Why say anything?

Nope, too easy. :lol:

rusmeister wrote:But I won't debate here any more. The rules may be applied to everyone, and seen to be "fair" in that sense, but they do work against the traditional believer who does think that there is one particular view of the world that actually happens to be true. So I won't debate here.
Read your post again.
There's no exchange of ideas in your world.
By your own definition you're entirely closed minded.
Why on earth would anyone honestly debate you?
It's like arguing with a parrot that has been taught a few select verses.
rusmeister wrote:Even if people come onto my thread, "polluting" it with their own versions of events. This thread is not here for that. That's what the other locked thread is for, and since it has been established that I will get "special" treatment, and wear the yellow star, or yellow cross rather, I won't participate any more as a regular member, responding to all and sundry or intruding on their discussions where my ideas are not wanted.
Now you're just being a dick.
rusmeister wrote:So what's left? After all, I am a human being too, who like y'all, thinks myself to be rational and reasonable.
Correction, a condescending dick.

rusmeister wrote:
One can become TOO dependent on reason and exclude things like common sense, things that even uneducated peasants in the fields know to be true. Reason should be our servant, not our master, even though we should certainly pay careful attention to it.
I'm thinking of using this for my new signature. It's just crazy enough to be funny. (see, i insulted your post ie: idea, not you personally. Happy?)

rusmeister wrote: I'll offer a thread or two in the Close and see how it goes. No debate; only explanation. The climate would have to change a great deal before I could consider debate again.
You REALLY have no grasp of what a discussion forum is all about, imo.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Seriously, this is bull, rus. You only intend this one post, and don't want to debate - but you manage to make all your arguments one last time. Well, I, for one, will let you have the last word out here. But let's not pretend.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

This place is for new members to introduce themselves and generally be nice to each other.

I don't need some convoluted head-drama displayed in a big window for all to see. Handle it in PM or move this absurdity to a more acerbic, less welcoming place. Locked until.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Uh, it's your forum Foul. You have to move it. :lol:

--A
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

Done. Bah humbug.
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

Obviously (or it OUGHT to be obvious), if a person IS their beliefs, then I am equally insulted when people challenge them - and yet no one was forthcoming with apologies for challenging my beliefs. It is a root self-contradiction, that says, beliefs may not be challenged - unless they challenge one's own beliefs. I'd say that from that perspective, I tolerated a great deal of insult myself - only I didn't see it as insult to begin with, because I can tell the difference between a person and their beliefs.

Anyway, someone made a comment about a pig, and I do not wish to annoy, or to point fingers as to who the pig is in the scenario. I think debate to be useless, because the debate is rigged from the beginning, and most people don't really want honest debate that goes deep - the people that do are the ones who did not come out with the ad hominems - I'll especially recognize folk like Cambo there as decently refraining from that and recognizing, to an extent, the root problem. (There are others, of course)
By implying there is a pig in the room, you have set the rest of the forum, assuming they hunger for the flesh of pig, out on a hunt. Will you enjoy your pig dinner when you are served the least of the portions for doing none of the hunting? I hope so, believing myself to be the tasty piggy. For all our discussions, I hope your pig dinner at my expense, should it ever come, ends up being delicious! Hopefully I will be dead!
*This is why I have said merely asking for a religious composition of self-identification in our own time (2011) is not nearly sufficient. Unless you clarify connection with belief of the past (from x BC to 1999 AD, for example) of people who identified as Christian, Muslim, etc, you have established nothing that tells us what people actually believe.
I am slightly confused. Why would establishing one's own belief be a particularly excellent way of establishing what "people actually believe."

If we are looking at things from a structuralist point of view, than the position of a single piece - such as a pawn, perhaps myself - helps to determines the value of the whole of the rest of the chess board. An old example used by Saussure. However, there is no way that part of that board can completely grasp the rest, only a higher player can do that. How could a human being who follows religion believe that the culture or religion or the anything of a single person can recreate the world?

I am not selfish because my love extends beyond my sense of self and unto others, although sometimes my sense of self extends in an attempt to include the world. That doesn't WORK but it sure feels good. Like being in love with something larger than my self.

I literally believe I am the centerpiece of my existence. However, the centerpiece means nothing without the pieces around it. So of what worth am I without the world I grew up in, which seems to get steadily worse as I grow more and I more into a jaded optimist? Less than any of you. Worthless, in fact, without the other that is myself.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

You may know this one, Holsety:
Hillel the Elder wrote:If I am not for myself, who will be for me?
If I am only for myself, what am 'I'?
If not now, when?
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

If I am not for myself, who will be for me?
If I am only for myself, what am 'I'?
If not now, when?
If I know not myself, how can others be fore me?
If I am only for myself, what care I for I?
If not now, always and never!
:P :P
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

rusmeister wrote:*This is why I have said merely asking for a religious composition of self-identification in our own time (2011) is not nearly sufficient. Unless you clarify connection with belief of the past (from x BC to 1999 AD, for example) of people who identified as Christian, Muslim, etc, you have established nothing that tells us what people actually believe.
Do we actually need to know how the Watch's members self-identify? No, it's just for fun. Do we actually need to know the greater details of people's beliefs, so we know what their actual beliefs are? No, again, it would just be for fun. Do we need to know if anyone's actual beliefs conflict with your requirements for what they have self-identified with? Or with the requirements of the ruling body of what they have self-identified with? No and no.

All anyone can truly do, if they choose, is state their own beliefs. That's all anyone should need to do.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

Fist and Faith wrote:
rusmeister wrote:*This is why I have said merely asking for a religious composition of self-identification in our own time (2011) is not nearly sufficient. Unless you clarify connection with belief of the past (from x BC to 1999 AD, for example) of people who identified as Christian, Muslim, etc, you have established nothing that tells us what people actually believe.
Do we actually need to know how the Watch's members self-identify? No, it's just for fun. Do we actually need to know the greater details of people's beliefs, so we know what their actual beliefs are? No, again, it would just be for fun. Do we need to know if anyone's actual beliefs conflict with your requirements for what they have self-identified with? Or with the requirements of the ruling body of what they have self-identified with? No and no.

All anyone can truly do, if they choose, is state their own beliefs. That's all anyone should need to do.
Hmmmm...

What if their beliefs are such a hodge-podge that they are not really sure what they believe? Is it still fun to critique the confused hodge-podge of beliefs?
rusmeister
The Gap Into Spam

Post by rusmeister »

Fist and Faith wrote:

I still see a problem - the problem of the self-appointed abolitionist who supports the Fugitive Slave Act. Then you guys have a situation where, out of ten "abolitionists", at least three support the Act. And the rest of you get the impression that this is an acceptable position for an abolitionist to take. Eventually, you have no clear idea what "abolition" is, and the term becomes unmeaning. It ceases to be an identifiable thing. It is meaningless syllables coming out of your mouth.

I think terms like "Christian", "Catholic", and "Orthodox" worth defending as identifiable terms with clear meanings, even if others do not. They do NOT mean whatever a person wishes them to mean - which is fuzzy thinking at heart.
"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one." Bill Hingest ("That Hideous Strength" by C.S. Lewis)

"These are the days when the Christian is expected to praise every creed except his own." G.K. Chesterton
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

rusmeister wrote:
Fist and Faith wrote:

I still see a problem - the problem of the self-appointed abolitionist who supports the Fugitive Slave Act. Then you guys have a situation where, out of ten "abolitionists", at least three support the Act. And the rest of you get the impression that this is an acceptable position for an abolitionist to take. Eventually, you have no clear idea what "abolition" is, and the term becomes unmeaning. It ceases to be an identifiable thing. It is meaningless syllables coming out of your mouth.

I think terms like "Christian", "Catholic", and "Orthodox" worth defending as identifiable terms with clear meanings, even if others do not. They do NOT mean whatever a person wishes them to mean - which is fuzzy thinking at heart.
Sometimes it's hard to identify what one is without making up a new term. I feel that Fist and I have beliefs where there is currently no known word. As a result, if I'm trying to discuss spirituality with people, I'll have to hijack another term (let's say 'agnostic') even though it does not accurately depict my beliefs (I use it more in the sense that one's 'founding postulate' does not rely on the existence of a diety. A Deist would fundamentally postulate that God(s) exist. An Atheist (capital 'A' intentional) would fundamentally postulate that God(s) does not exist. An Agnostic would not have a postulate on the existence of deity, and if he did touch on it, it would be in a theorem format.

Of course, that's my take on it to help people understand what I believe since there isn't an easy term that I could use to communicate it.

That said, I don't see anything with your statement either. I'd add there are degrees of commitment to an ideal. You have the abolitionist that would like everyone to be free but that's it, the one that would do more to free his fellow man if he could do so without destroying his or his family's life, and the one who actively supports it. Of course, at the last stage, we have the problem that you point out. They'll be those that will seek to free men by any means necessary and those that believe that any means within the law is the best way to go about it. Both are details about the 'how' of abolitionism, not the 'what' or even the 'why'.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

rus, the point is that you want this so you can point out who is wrong about their beliefs. You figure, if all the wrong belief is put into a list for you, you can more easily instruct each person in the specific way they need.

Putting aside that you are trying to set yourself up as the Watch's Religion Authority - a position we did not put out an ad for, and don't want - your methods will not work. People don't like to be told that they're wrong. Usually, they will dig their heels in. You're not going to get people who call themselves "Christian", but really aren't, to stop calling themselves Christian by telling them they don't meet the correct criteria. Nor will that method get them to become proper Christians.

I've said it several times: Tell us what your beliefs are, and why. People will be more open to reading what you have to say, and possibly consider if they think your ideas have merit, that way than the way you've always gone about it. Don't you think? Has anyone - anyone - changed their beliefs in all the years you've been telling us we're wrong? Are your methods working? At all?

A rusmeister's faith thread would be an excellent thing. "I believe X. The reason I believe X is A." People will, doubtless, say, "But can't Y be the answer, instead of X, because of B?" At which point, you might say, "No. You're wrong. Because B is false." OR, you might say, "A is more important (or valid, or whatever the case is) to me than B is, because ___. Therefore X instead of Y." NOW, the person might think about A, and X, in a different light.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
rusmeister
The Gap Into Spam

Post by rusmeister »

Fist and Faith wrote:rus, the point is that you want this so you can point out who is wrong about their beliefs. You figure, if all the wrong belief is put into a list for you, you can more easily instruct each person in the specific way they need.

Putting aside that you are trying to set yourself up as the Watch's Religion Authority - a position we did not put out an ad for, and don't want - your methods will not work. People don't like to be told that they're wrong. Usually, they will dig their heels in. You're not going to get people who call themselves "Christian", but really aren't, to stop calling themselves Christian by telling them they don't meet the correct criteria. Nor will that method get them to become proper Christians.

I've said it several times: Tell us what your beliefs are, and why. People will be more open to reading what you have to say, and possibly consider if they think your ideas have merit, that way than the way you've always gone about it. Don't you think? Has anyone - anyone - changed their beliefs in all the years you've been telling us we're wrong? Are your methods working? At all?

A rusmeister's faith thread would be an excellent thing. "I believe X. The reason I believe X is A." People will, doubtless, say, "But can't Y be the answer, instead of X, because of B?" At which point, you might say, "No. You're wrong. Because B is false." OR, you might say, "A is more important (or valid, or whatever the case is) to me than B is, because ___. Therefore X instead of Y." NOW, the person might think about A, and X, in a different light.
I'm not sure if I'm setting myself up to be anything - only that when I communicate with people personally, I want that communication to be clear, and I strongly encourage everyone to prefer clear communication and better understandings - and self-identification of anyone at all as an abolitionist regardless of one's actual views does not do this at all. You will never know what on earth an abolitionist is then.

Nevertheless, welcome to that thread! I am completely open to the questioning, and can offer the answers. Let us see if you can grasp them...

You ask why words like "Christian", "Catholic" and "Orthodox" ought to be well-defined by a common definition, rather than left to the individual to decide for himself what it is.

A thing is called something, and this understanding stretches over time -for phenomena that last a long time, and there are not so many that we can say last two thousand years. If I use a word, do I mean the same thing that people who used it two thousand years ago mean? Or do I mean the opposite? Does being Christian mean 'someone who sacrifices babies'? Or 'someone who opposes the sacrifice of babies'? As far as I can tell, many here would have it be 'whatever answer you think correct' (at this given moment in time).

That makes no sense to anyone who is trying to communicate across space and time. It is a refusal to communicate and an embracing of Babel.

Let me offer this from Hilaire Belloc, a formidable historian who I have yet to see the like of:
Hilaire Belloc wrote:A word as to the constitution of the Church. All men with an historical
training know that the Church of the years 200-250 was what I have
described it, an organized society under bishops, and, what is more, it is
evident that there was a central primacy at Rome as well as local primacies
in various other great cities. But what is not so generally emphasized is
the way in which Christian society appears to have _looked at itself_ at
that time.

The conception which the Catholic Church had of _itself_ in the early third
century can, perhaps, best be approached by pointing out that if we use
the word "Christianity" we are unhistorical. "Christianity" is a term in
the mouth and upon the pen of the post-Reformation writer; it connotes an
opinion or a theory; a point of view; an idea. The Christians of the time
of which I speak had no such conception. Upon the contrary, they were
attached to its very antithesis. They were attached to the conception of a
_thing_: of an organized body instituted for a definite end, disciplined in
a definite way, and remarkable for the possession of definite and concrete
doctrine. One can talk, in speaking of the first three centuries, of
stoic_ism_, or epicurean_ism_, or neoplaton_ism_; but one cannot talk of
"Christian_ism_" or "Christ_ism_." Indeed, no one has been so ignorant
or unhistorical as to attempt those phrases. But the current phrase
"Christianity," used by moderns as identical with the Christian body in
the third century, is intellectually the equivalent of "Christianism" or
"Christism;" and, I repeat, it connotes a grossly unhistorical idea; it
connotes something historically false; something that never existed.

Let me give an example of what I mean:

Four men will be sitting as guests of a fifth in a private house in
Carthage in the year 225. They are all men of culture; all possessed of the
two languages, Greek and Latin, well-read and interested in the problems
and half-solutions of their skeptical time. One will profess himself
Materialist, and will find another to agree with him; there is no personal
God, certain moral duties must be recognized by men for such and such
utilitarian reasons, and so forth. He finds support.

The host is not of that opinion; he has been profoundly influenced by
certain "mysteries" into which he has been "initiated:" That is, symbolical
plays showing the fate of the soul and performed in high seclusion before
members of a society sworn to secrecy. He has come to feel a spiritual
life as the natural life round him. He has curiously followed, and often
paid at high expense, the services of necromancers; he believes that in
an "initiation" which he experienced in his youth, and during the secret
and most vivid drama or "mystery" in which he then took part, he actually
came in contact with the spiritual world. Such men were not uncommon. The
declining society of the time was already turning to influences of that
type.

The host's conviction, his awed and reticent attitude towards such things,
impress his guests. One of the guests, however, a simple, solid kind of
man, not drawn to such vagaries, says that he has been reading with great
interest the literature of the Christians. He is in admiration of the
traditional figure of the Founder of their Church. He quotes certain
phrases, especially from the four orthodox Gospels. They move him to
eloquence, and their poignancy and illuminative power have an effect upon
his friends. He ends by saying: "For my part, I have come to make it a sort
of rule to act as this Man Christ would have had me act. He seems to me to
have led the most perfect life I ever read of, and the practical maxims
which are attached to His Name seem to me a sufficient guide to life.
That," he will conclude simply, "is the groove into which I have fallen,
and I do not think I shall ever leave it."

Let us call the man who has so spoken, Ferreolus. Would Ferreolus have
been a _Christian_? Would the officials of the Roman Empire have called
him a _Christian_? Would he have been in danger of unpopularity where
_Christians_ were unpopular? Would _Christians_ have received him among
themselves as part of their strict and still somewhat secret society? Would
he have counted with any single man of the whole Empire as one of the
_Christian_ body?

The answer is most emphatically _No_.

No Christian in the first three centuries would have held such a man as
coming within his view. No imperial officer in the most violent crisis of
one of those spasmodic persecutions which the Church had to undergo would
have troubled him with a single question. No Christian congregation would
have regarded him as in any way connected with their body. Opinion of that
sort, "Christism," had no relation to the Church. How far it existed we
cannot tell, for it was unimportant. In so far as it existed it would have
been on all fours with any one of the vague opinions which floated about
the cultured Roman world.

Now it is evident that the term "Christianity" used as a point of view, a
mere mental attitude, would include such a man, and it is equally evident
that we have only to imagine him to see that he had nothing to do with
the Christian _religion_ of that day. For the Christian religion (then as
now) was a thing, not a theory. It was expressed in what I have called an
organism, and that organism was the Catholic Church.

The reader may here object: "But surely there was heresy after heresy and
thousands of men were at any moment claiming the name of Christian whom
the orthodox Church rejected. Nay, some suffered martyrdom rather than
relinquish the name."

True; but the very existence of such sects should be enough to prove the
point at issue.

These sects arose precisely because within the Catholic Church (1) exact
doctrine, (2) unbroken tradition, and (3) absolute unity, were, all three,
regarded as the necessary marks of the institution. The heresies arose
one after another, from the action of men who were prepared to define yet
more punctiliously what the truth might be, and to claim with yet more
particular insistence the possession of living tradition and the right to
be regarded as the centre of unity. No heresy pretended that the truth was
vague and indefinite. The whole gist and meaning of a heresy was that it,
the heresy, or he, the heresiarch, was prepared to make doctrine yet more
sharp, and to assert his own definition.

What you find in these foundational times is not the Catholic Church
asserting and defining a thing and then, some time after, the heresiarch
denying this definition; no heresy comes within a hundred miles of such
a procedure. What happens in the early Church is that some doctrine not
yet fully defined is laid down by such and such a man, that his final
settlement clashes with the opinion of others, that after debate and
counsel, and also authoritative statement on the part of the bishops, this
man's solution is rejected and an orthodox solution is defined. From that
moment the heresiarch, if he will not fall into line with defined opinion,
ceases to be in communion; and his rejection, no less than his own original
insistence upon his doctrine, are in themselves proofs that both he and
his judges postulate unity and definition as the two necessary marks of
Catholic truth.

No early heretic or no early orthodox authority dreams of saying to his
opponent: "You may be right! Let us agree to differ. Let us each form his
part of 'Christian society' and look at things from his own point of view."
The moment a question is raised it must of its nature, the early Church
being what it was, be defined one way or the other.
Europe and the Faith

This is the thing that seems to stand between our understandings, summarized as a definite conception of a definite institution vs a mental attitude. When the institution has been rejected, this may seem to not be a problem to those who have rejected it, but it will remain a problem to those who do not, and who wish to understand what a thing was, as well as what it is. As Belloc points out, the mental attitude did not, and could not exist before the 'Reformation', not even in the face of the Great Schism. (The quotation marks around the former are because it is inaccurate, even false, as a historical description - a desire of early reformers that was soon abandoned and not at all what the thing became.)

Anyone arriving from an earlier century would find my use of the terms much clearer than the modern usage - the further back, the more my understanding would continue to make sense, and the less the modern use would. The 'now' of wolf thought seems to dominate - the exclusion of understandings prior to the present time. The pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking.

Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

You make a good point on it not mattering so much to outsiders what exactly a christian is in strict terms...though there are times distinctions between the sects matter even to outsiders.

But on the rest: though the relative importance of the issue is greater, it's a bit like people who produce paintings arguing about who is REALLY a painter. Are you if you don't do human figures and/or still life, or realism? What if you use spray paint instead of tempera, or grinding your own pigments, and using only finest sable brushes?
Are you sure that you are right that exact methods and practice and adherence to tradition/doctrine define the only "real" meaning of christian...that there is only one kind?
Another thing, though: yea, "christian" gets thrown around in a general/diffuse way quite a lot...but most of the believers I know use it your way, too, and understand a precise definition...the only difference is they don't consider your version [or other than their own] as "real" christians, cuz those others dogma/doctrine/tradition is just, well...wrong.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
DukkhaWaynhim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by DukkhaWaynhim »

Well, when you have found the one and only source of Truth, of course everything else is going to look dicey in comparison. Too bad we can't patent words, and create a single definition source -- of course that will only ever work for denotations, since the individual will still be free to assign whatever connotations they desire.

dw
"God is real, unless declared integer." - Unknown
rusmeister
The Gap Into Spam

Post by rusmeister »

Vraith wrote:You make a good point on it not mattering so much to outsiders what exactly a christian is in strict terms...though there are times distinctions between the sects matter even to outsiders.

But on the rest: though the relative importance of the issue is greater, it's a bit like people who produce paintings arguing about who is REALLY a painter. Are you if you don't do human figures and/or still life, or realism? What if you use spray paint instead of tempera, or grinding your own pigments, and using only finest sable brushes?
Are you sure that you are right that exact methods and practice and adherence to tradition/doctrine define the only "real" meaning of christian...that there is only one kind?
Another thing, though: yea, "christian" gets thrown around in a general/diffuse way quite a lot...but most of the believers I know use it your way, too, and understand a precise definition...the only difference is they don't consider your version [or other than their own] as "real" christians, cuz those others dogma/doctrine/tradition is just, well...wrong.
My shortest answer to that, Vraith, is that your comparison - while completely understandable in terms of what we can see in the present - follows the same modern line of failing to connect with history - it's two-dimensional. What was the Christian Church in 100 AD, 500 AD, 1,000 AD (and in 1055) and so on? Your whole analogy simply doesn't take that into account at all; it's as if you only see what is today. (This goes for everyone who has posted here so far) That's what I'm speaking to - a complete lack of historical vision (or failure to display it at the very least). (Did you read the Belloc text above? If not, then complete stop, because I'm assuming you have.)

One thing consistently agreed on for 1,500 years, despite the schisms that had taken place, was that a Christian was a very definite thing, part of a definite organization - and that is what "excommunication" - the announcement that a person has separated themselves from that organization - is all about. It's something that makes no sense if the idea of being a Christian was a mere mood.

So the tightest definition would really be a member of the historical Church - but the two Churches with the best historical claim to be that both agree, in general (with most of the other forms of Christianity that broke off from them), that a Christian is someone who accepts the Nicene-Constantinople Creed; that in the modern world (post 'Reformation') we can acknowledge the idea of a heterodox Christian who is not a heretic or apostate because he was never part of the Church and so never broke with it. So I'd guess that well over 90% of people who claim to be Christians here probably fit that bill, and I'm not interested in looking or pointing fingers -though you can put up a poll if you like.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicene_Creed

But the thing I'll insist on most is that one cannot create one's own definition of what those historical things are. If they invent their own religion or philosophy today, sure, they can form it however they want - it's not a historical phenomenon - but if it's something with an established understanding, you can't change it without changing the understandings. If I can be a member of the KKK and call for tolerance, interracial relationships, etc, then I make "KKK" a meaningless term by redefining its views to suit my purposes (even if the organization is evil and your purposes are good - in which case one wonders why you would identify yourself with an organization hostile to your views). If everyone is making up their own private definitions, then we can't know what anything means any more. Who can make sense of anything in any relation to history if 'black' comes to mean 'white', if 'liberal' comes to mean 'conservative' (which it has to a significant degree), if 'abolitionist' comes to mean 'abolisher of freedom', or "Christian" comes to mean 'one who denies the Nicene Creed' (or refuses to accept parts of it) or "Orthodox" (or 'Catholic') means 'one who denies the authority of the Orthodox (or Catholic) Church'?

Hoping all that makes sense, but honestly, I am not completely confident that it gets across.

Before anyone comments on my comments, I'd like to see the comments on Belloc's comments. I find, when I read guys like Chesterton and Belloc, I'm forced to learn. I have to ask, "Wow- is that really true?" or "Where did THAT comment come from?" Chesterton is especially adept at tossing out comments, not from show-offishness, but from a genuine grasp and matter-of-fact understanding of history that for him, came effortlessly, but has me running to Google or Wikipedia all the time to find this reference to the 13th or 17th centuries or whatever (people who say that he was (merely) a creature of his time display their bottomless ignorance of the man). Like I told Fist then, "The Ballad of the White Horse" en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ballad_of_the_White_Horse launched for me a study into 9th-century England - and things I knew little to nothing about he rattled off the top of his head. Before I knew it I was learning a lot about the climate, events that lead up the the invasion, the historical references, the aftermath and so on. I have found an education from these teachers far beyond mere partisan opinions of modern political or social movements.

Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

rusmeister wrote: but if it's something with an established understanding, you can't change it without changing the understandings. If I can be a member of the KKK and call for tolerance, interracial relationships, etc, then I make "KKK" a meaningless term by redefining its views to suit my purposes (even if the organization is evil and your purposes are good - in which case one wonders why you would identify yourself with an organization hostile to your views). If everyone is making up their own private definitions, then we can't know what anything means any more.
No...I do get it, you just don't get that I get it. What happens in the above is that it become meaningless by accepting a contradiction in terms...you cannot be a "non-racist racist." But that is not the same in any way as the evolution and/or redefinition for christian. It is perfectly fine for you to say that "In 200A.D. this is what a Chrisitan was, how it was defined, how people lived it." And be correct, too. That's what it was. But the shift you are speaking of is not a shift to just water things down or a conspiracy to fool people or a misunderstanding: It is that, though that definition WAS the definition, that definition was wrong...that things were demanded BY the definition that were unnecessary or false FOR the definition...in particular [among other things] that various churches/authorities insisted on that which Christ himself never insisted on.
Returning to my analogy, which IS accurate and NOT 2-dimensional the definition of painter has expanded to other things because our understanding has expanded: there is more than one way to be a great painter...among other things because there is more than one way to see what is.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

From my readings of historical documents, the 'Christian' organization has generally always been made up of several competing sects. Paul v. Peter, Philidelphia v. Ephesus, and so forth. According to Eusebius, they didn't even agree on what constituted holy scripture. Eusebius even espouses a view on the Trinity contrary to that of the Nicene Creed which was fabricated a mere few years later. The term 'catholic' was used to mean 'united' and seemed to originally be concerned with 'all who follow Christ' as to 'all who follow Christ according to the teachings of Paul/Timothy/Peter/Gnostics/whatever. Constantine was really the first (and I might dare say, only) person to try and unite all of Christendom under one doctrinal banner. For whatever reason why he would do this, the fact that he set about doing so proves that then, as now, there were several groups of people all professing to be Christians but believing different things.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley

Return to “The Close”