US Freezes Aid After Palestinian Statehood Bid

Archive From The 'Tank
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Prebe wrote:
Cybr wrote:There you go. Good job.
It really bothers me, that I can't utter a relatively ballanced post without someone comparing me to a fundamentalist wahabist asshole.
Sorry to disturb you while you're in the middle of a "relatively balanced" anti-Israel rant.

As you were.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Prebe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Prebe »

You will, I'm sure, be kind enough to notify the less informed readers where my anti Israel rant starts and ends? Or are you just "friday pissed" and angry beyond comprehension?
"I would have gone to the thesaurus for a more erudite word."
-Hashi Lebwohl
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Prebe wrote:You will, I'm sure, be kind enough to notify the less informed readers where my anti Israel rant starts and ends? Or are you just "friday pissed" and angry beyond comprehension?
t's pretty much all over this thread. Pick a post.

And I'm feeling wonderful, thanks for the concern!
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Cail,
In the real world, we recognize that things aren't simply as black and white as you'd like to make them. Your naiveté is only exceeded by your inability to see other points of view.
Maybe. This whole conversation would go a lot easier if we traded in specific facts, as I and others have been attempting to do, rather than exchanging platitudes about the relative moral superiority of one camp over another. I can't even begin to understand what such judgments about how Israel being "far from perfect but the best we've got" could mean. I know the facts about what Israel has done, I try to elucidate those facts, and I evaluate those facts as fairly as I can. What I've said here is what my honest interpretation of the history of the conflict is. I understand and hear your point of view, I just don't think it's viable. As for your point about the United Nations and my naivete, Avatar addressed that exactly I would have if I'd gotten here earlier. One point I'd mention further: what paper tiger was it that created Israel in the first place? Does it not bear mentioning what an enormous amount of good will Israel has exhausted from that paper tiger over the decades?

Cyberweez,
Not only that, but also grasp that any peace deals from surrounding Islamic countries is purely temporary.
Temporary as opposed to what? Can you think of permanent diplomatic settlements? I can't.
Our Leader from Iran, who has some influence, did you know, spells out exactly what they all believe - just have patience.
What they all believe. Right. I mentioned earlier the 2002 Arab League peace deal, dismissed almost instantly by Israel as a "nonstarter" (I think that was their wording) and addressed in this thread by none of Israel's passionate defenders. It's just one of many possible diplomatic settlements that Israel has rejected. Is that a reflection of "what they all believe"? We're talking a lot about words all of a sudden, not history and facts. The fact is that there has been a lot of engagement from the Arab world with Israel on the issue of Israel/Palestine, not just vitriolic words. Take care to remember that.
There are enough people in the world who believe our peace overtures, we'll gather world opinion to our side, and with divine assistance (and nukes probably), remove Israel from the map. It sounds like some of you could've written the speech. Except you may think once the Palestinians get some land, that'll be the end of it?
I think once the Palestinians receive a fair settlement (the prospects of which I remain pessimistic about), Israel's security will be much, much greater than it is now. As for me and Prebe and Khameini, I don't even know what to say about that. I'll take it as a compliment to him from you about his rationality and fair-mindedness. :P
finn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by finn »

RR wrote: In fact, the Palestinians have in several instances in the past, caused so many problems for other Arab countries (Jordan, Syria, Iraq, Egypt, Lebanon) that they have had to move militarily against them, notably Jordan
Which sort of suggests that the Palestinian cause is primarily political rather than anti semitic.........
"Winston, if you were my husband I'd give you poison" ................ "Madam, if you were my wife I would drink it!"

"Terrorism is war by the poor, and war is terrorism by the rich"

"A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well."

"The opposite of pro-life isn't pro-death. Y'know?"

"What if the Hokey Cokey really is what its all about?"
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Cail wrote:Excuse me? The second you start applying that consistently is the second I'll start taking you seriously.
I apply it as consistently as I can. And you out of everybody should know that it's not possible to find and note and comment on every possible instance of one of you being a dick to another.

Even if it was, there'd be bloody little time for anything else. So I'll thank you to take me seriously when I ask you not to insult people because their point of view differs from your own.

And you know I say the same if somebody calls you (or anybody else) stupid or naive or anything like that. You don't have to participate if you don't want to. If you do, make an effort to be civil.

And that goes for all the rest of you too. (As you all should know.)

Thank you.

--A
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

Feel free to call me stupid anytime. It's my current favorite pastime.

Post by Avatar »

Smartass. ;)

--A
Prebe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Prebe »

Cail wrote:Sorry to disturb you while you're in the middle of a "relatively balanced" anti-Israel rant.

I wrote:You will, I'm sure, be kind enough to notify the less informed readers where my anti Israel rant starts and ends? Or are you just "friday pissed" and angry beyond comprehension?
Cail wrote:t's pretty much all over this thread. Pick a post.
Ok. As an example of my anti Israeli rant I pick:

[quote="Cybr presumably on behalf of the Iranian leader""]we'll gather world opinion to our side, and with divine assistance (and nukes probably), remove Israel from the map. [/quote]
In response to which I wrote:All the while the rest of the world does nothing? Hardly.
I wrote:I'm quite sure that my opinion (and that of most other sensible individuals btw) would change quite severely, if any of Ahmedinijad's [sic] threads were even close to being carried out. He (and his ilk) are every bit as much a paper tiger as the UN. He keeps his subjects fed with anti jewish popaganda, to make them forget that the domestic politics are in tatters. Get a common enemy, and people can take almost any kind of crap. Making good on the threats will lead to Iran (or whatever country performing the actual act) ending up a glass-paved parking lot. And he knows that. He's a demagogue, not an idiot.
Cybr in reference to LM's posts and mine wrote:It sounds like some of you could've written the speech.
I wrote:It is a fine day, when someone compares me to Ahmedinijad, but go easy on the insults m'kay? I have already been implicitly "Hitlerized" in this thread, don't you think that's enough?
-Hashi Lebwohl
Rawedge Rim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rawedge Rim »

finn wrote:
RR wrote: In fact, the Palestinians have in several instances in the past, caused so many problems for other Arab countries (Jordan, Syria, Iraq, Egypt, Lebanon) that they have had to move militarily against them, notably Jordan
Which sort of suggests that the Palestinian cause is primarily political rather than anti semitic.........
Tough to work with "Death to Israel" as a cornerstone of the government.
“One accurate measurement is worth a
thousand expert opinions.”
- Adm. Grace Hopper

"Whenever you dream, you're holding the key, it opens the the door to let you be free" ..RJD
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

That depends on which part you're talking about. Palestine officially recognises Israel's right to exist, Hamas does not.
Rawedge Rim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rawedge Rim »

Murrin wrote:That depends on which part you're talking about. Palestine officially recognises Israel's right to exist, Hamas does not.
What's the difference, they are both joined at the hip at this point in time.
“One accurate measurement is worth a
thousand expert opinions.”
- Adm. Grace Hopper

"Whenever you dream, you're holding the key, it opens the the door to let you be free" ..RJD
Prebe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Prebe »

As joined at the hip as democrats and libertarians
-Hashi Lebwohl
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

Murrin wrote:That depends on which part you're talking about. Palestine officially recognises Israel's right to exist, Hamas does not.
What do you mean by Palestine, the PA?
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Yes. They are Palestine as far as the UN is concerned; even though Hamas did win the election, they didn't manage to form a government and only hold Gaza.

Post by Avatar »

Unfortunately it seems that most people perceive them as the same.

--A

Return to “Coercri”