What fantasy/science fiction book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

Hiro
Giantfriend

Post by Hiro »

Finished 'The Sacred Band'... it was a blast! The 'Acacia' trilogy comes highly recommended!!!
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

wayfriend wrote:After admiring some of Bank's later works, I have gone back and read some earlier ones, like Phlebas and Player. I have to say there's a big difference from the early Culture books to the later ones in terms of his writing skills.
You prefer the later ones?

Unfortunately the only others I've got apart from Phlebas and Surface Detail are Player of Games (which I love) and Use of Weapons.

I've read a few of the others, should really increase my collection of them. Two of my favourites aren't Culture books...Against A Dark Background and Feersum Endjinn.

--A
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

Rereading Red Mars, which I believe a number of users on this site expressed distaste for.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

wayfriend wrote:After admiring some of Bank's later works, I have gone back and read some earlier ones, like Phlebas and Player. I have to say there's a big difference from the early Culture books to the later ones in terms of his writing skills.
You prefer the later ones?
I really loved Excession. Its my favorite in the series so far. I think Banks has improved greatly as he has gone along. I would recommend to anyone to keep going in the series if you like the beginning.
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

Reading Mockingjay, third in The Hunger Games series.

Previously had started reading Old Man's War; I've put it down for a bit though.
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
Spiral Jacobs
Giantfriend

Post by Spiral Jacobs »

Cambo wrote:Chaos and Order.

I'd like to just note that I'd forgotten how much I love Hashi Lebwohl. Not as a person; a little amoral to really like him; but as a character. He is mesmerising.
I sometimes pick This Day All Gods Die off the shelf and just read the first few Hashi chapters.

Bah I feel a Gap reread coming. And I've so much other stuff yet to read!

Post by Avatar »

Holsety wrote:Rereading Red Mars, which I believe a number of users on this site expressed distaste for.
Yeah, I didn't like it much. Many years since I read it though.

Finished my Banks, (must say I remember not liking Excession that much when I read it first...will see if I can find it again).

Decided to reread the last 3 WoT books, starting with Knife of Dreams.

--A
Cleburne
Bloodguard

Post by Cleburne »

Steven Erikson (Reapers Gale) :biggrin:
A lie well told and told often enough,I'm damned if the truth will ever catch up with it!
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

BOOM!!! Go, Cleburne!! :D
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

And, about a third of the way through The Bone Hunters.

must say, this re-read is great. Got a few funny looks on train yesterday, giggling to myself.
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
Shaun das Schaf
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Shaun das Schaf »

Just finishing, The Claw of the Conciliator, book 2 in The Book of the New Sun. Wondering whether to take a break before the next two and read China Mieville's The City & The City. But worried if I do, I'll do a Danlo!...
Danlo wrote:I've never read the last two...need to get on it...
I enjoyed it a lot, especially some of the writing, but it didn't dig its claws (pardon the pun) into me and I got that feeling towards the end I get sometimes with nutritional low-sugar/low-fat foods, that I was reading because it was good for me and not because I couldn't put it down!

And as for Mieville, I've never read any of his stuff. :oops: Actually, that phrase - 'I've never read any of <insert-SF/Fantasy Author here>'s stuff' is going to be coming up a bit from me as I took a rather long detour (two-decades long!) away from this area and am just coming back now.

Post by Avatar »

Ah, it's worth it. Dunno how good it is for you though. :lol: Bloody Wolfe...

I'm onto The Gathering Storm now.

--A
Shaun das Schaf
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Shaun das Schaf »

I did try WoT, but I don't think I made it through the first one, let alone the 12th! Go you! You deserve a commitment medal :D
Spiral Jacobs
Giantfriend

Post by Spiral Jacobs »

I started Against All Things Ending, but I don't think I have the energy for the whole guilt and desperation vibe I got from the first tens of pages. I may opt for something a little lighter.

Post by Avatar »

Stick with it SJ, AATE is the best of the Last Chrons yet.

Shaun das Schaf wrote:I did try WoT, but I don't think I made it through the first one, let alone the 12th! Go you! You deserve a commitment medal :D
Hahaha, if you knew how many times I'd read them, you'd be arguing for committal, not praising commitment. :lol:

1-6 were good, they got worse up 'til 10. 10 was the worst ever. 11-13 have been huge improvements...the series has found its way again. Looking forward to the last one.

--A
duke
Giantfriend

Post by duke »

I'm back reading fantasy again after a long break. Although my hardcover copy of AATE keeps staring at me from the bookshelf, I've started Robin Hobb's "Fool's Errand". Only two chapters in, but I'm really enjoying it so far. For me Hobb is an easy read, and I'm excited by returning to characters I know and love.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Hey duke! Long time!

Finally done with A Dance With Dragons and now off two brush up on AATE for my dissection of the 1st chapter of PART TWO, Those Who Endure!!! Join us in Dissecting the Land!!!
fall far and well Pilots!
Farm Ur-Ted
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Farm Ur-Ted »

Is Fool's Errand the first of the 3d trilogy? It gets off to a slow-ass start, but those are definitely good books.

Just figured out how to convert barnes&noble epub books to mobipocket books, and am about a chapter and a half into A Dance With Dragons. Yee-hah!
Roach trotted over to sniff at the gleaming phlegm, then licked it up.

The Bonehunters by Steven Erikson
duke
Giantfriend

Post by duke »

Thanks danlo! Farm ur Ted - yeah Fool's Errand is the first book in the 3rd series ('Tawny Man' from what I hear) from Hobb.

Post by Avatar »

Finishing off WoT 13, Towers of Midnight.

--A

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”