How do you feel today? v. 3.0

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

DukkhaWaynhim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by DukkhaWaynhim »

Indian summer here in Indy -- playing havoc with sleep cycles.
"God is real, unless declared integer." - Unknown
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Kind of disturbingly relieved that the Watch is back up. I think I may have a problem... 8O

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

DukkhaWaynhim wrote:Indian summer here in Indy -- playing havoc with sleep cycles.
yeah! me too. autumnal insomnia. i've pulled more than a couple of all nighters here in the last couple of weeks!
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

aliantha wrote:Kind of disturbingly relieved that the Watch is back up. I think I may have a problem... 8O
I think we all have it. :LOLS:
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
Auleliel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Auleliel »

MsMary wrote:
aliantha wrote:Kind of disturbingly relieved that the Watch is back up. I think I may have a problem... 8O
I think we all have it. :LOLS:
I haven't been here for months and I feel extremely relieved that the Watch is back.
"Persevera, per severa, per se vera." Persist through difficulties, even though it is hard.
Proud Member of THOOOTP.
Buy my best friend's fantastic fantasy book! Pulse is also available here.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Yay, Owlie! :wave:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

I had a great day. See my blather blog for details. For those not sleeping, I've been waking a bunch at night too. The temperature has been very diffuse here, hot in the day, cold as winter at night. I go to bed and it's hot so I don't put on pj's. I wake up and I'm freezing and I put on thermal socks and pj's and it takes forever to warm up and then I wake up way too hot.
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

What do you mean back? We were down?

Ah well, I see a few more people joined the back-up forum. :D

Here's the link for them as doesn't have it... kevinswatch.10.forumer.com/index.php

--A
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

I'm starting a New Years resolution now that I will become the top poster in the backup forum by the end of 2012.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

I forgot all about that forum. I was alerted the Watch was down via FB.

Course, if I didn't see it on FB, I probably wouldn't have noticed the outage, as I don't usually check KW from work.
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Pretty much exhausted. Left dark-and-early this morning to drive to Baltimore to catch my flight to San Diego. Was awakened early by a text message from the airline on my phone, telling me that my flight was leaving on time...35 minutes earlier than I thought it would. 8O So instead of getting up at 5am, I had to leave the house at 5am. I slept part of the way to Denver but didn't really get a nap on the Denver-to-San Diego leg. So I am pretty darned tired, and kind of tempted to just skip the convention entirely today and go straight to bed. But I'll probably head over there anyway in a few minutes.

EZ Board Survivor

Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Have fun, Ali.

I'm having a hell of a week. Came home today to find my neighbors had locked the inside latch on 'my' door which they are not supposed to touch, and had no way of contacting them. First time for that, so I am being paranoid and wondering if they are mad about something and being passive/aggressive about it. Even though there's nothing they could really be angry about, I'm quiet and I've never even met them. Probably an accident, but it took me over two hours to get ahold of someone who had the code for the garage door. Argh. And I'm still kicking myself over not calling in sick yesterday, since I managed to justify it in my head even though I really didn't want to be able to justify something like that. Long story short, I've been having severe headaches for the last several weeks, I think it's my eyes, my insurance sucks and the only place I can go is way the hell across town, and I already waited three weeks because I have to take time off to do it and had to request time off far in advance, and I didn't get the day I needed off, so had to reschedule another three weeks ahead, which is another three weeks of headaches, so yeah, should have called in sick. I'm tempted to go to one of those places downtown where I know I can get a same day appointment, but my insurance won't cover it and I can't afford to pay out of pocket. This whole rant could have been summed up in three words: Being broke sucks.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

Sorry, Sorus.

I'm pissed off because on the way to work there was a taxi van stuffed with about 15 children that had crashed into a median fence-- it looked as though someone had rear-ended it and pushed it into the steel fence. Pissed at stupid parents that send their kids to school in a broken-down old van with some moron driving that probably doesn't have a license-- not that he'll ever get in trouble for it-- and for the neanderthal that rear-ended him and drove away. It didn't look like anyone was hurt but I bet the children were frightened and it made me cry anyway. Then I get to school and find that parents are again dropping kids off early when there is no supervision.

In my world, if you have kids, they take precedence and priority-- not your job, hair appointment, or whatever.

I'll be back later when my hissy fit has expended itself. My teaching day starts in a few minutes and children are like therapy to me.

[EDIT:] It has gotten much better. :) God is good.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

Sorus: being broke does indeed suck. You don't notice how much until something like that comes up.

Deer: Agreed on the attitude people have to their kids, but glad your day got better.

I finished my final uni assignments yesterday morning (it's now 2:30 the following morning). Had two hours sleep before work, but great feeling to be done for the summer. Figured out I wrote half a masters thesis with my combined workload this week; 5000 words. Now I'm slightly drunk and feeling peaceful and content.
^"Amusing, worth talking to, completely insane...pick your favourite." - Avatar

https://variousglimpses.wordpress.com
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Sorus, yes, being broke sucks. And yes, next time you have a medical appointment and they won't give you time off, for gods' sake, call in sick! :evil:

DotD: Glad your day got better. |G

Yesterday turned out to be pretty much okay. Ran into Romeo and his S.O. while I was riffling through my bag o' books. They were just coming back from Bob Vardeman's reading, which I missed. :( We went to dinner later at a Mexican place in Old San Diego. Great food. And Romeo noticed the guy who he thought was an actor from the TV show "Chuck", and had the waitstaff pass the guy a note (very polite way to do it, Romeo!) and it turned out it was him. I don't know his name because I don't watch the show, but this guy plays Big Mike. He seemed flattered that someone recognized him, and posed for a picture with Romeo and Lisa. He and his wife (who was with him -- nice lady) live in San Diego. So anyway, that was our excitement for the evening. 8)

EZ Board Survivor

JazFusion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by JazFusion »

It snowed last night. Now my son thinks it's Christmas and is demanding we put the tree and lights up.
"Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt." - Kurt Vonnegut
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

aliantha wrote:And Romeo noticed the guy who he thought was an actor from the TV show "Chuck", and had the waitstaff pass the guy a note (very polite way to do it, Romeo!) and it turned out it was him. I don't know his name because I don't watch the show, but this guy plays Big Mike. He seemed flattered that someone recognized him, and posed for a picture with Romeo and Lisa. He and his wife (who was with him -- nice lady) live in San Diego. So anyway, that was our excitement for the evening. 8)
Ah, I saw the picture and was wondering who "Big Mike" was. Have fun, Ali!
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Avatar wrote:What do you mean back? We were down?
The other day when I tried to view the Watch site I got this wierd page coming up saying the 'ihugny domain had expired' and asking the owners to contact etc etc. The page then tried to sell me bad debt advice or some other crap.

What was that all about - did someone forget to put coins in the meter or something :lol:

(But yes, like Ali (I think) above, a vague sort of 'void' seemed to open up inside me when 'it happened'. Jeez - I need to get out more! 8O )
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

I know, the Watch is like the other Facebook for me. :) Thanks for the hugs!! I had a cool day today, went on a birding hike around a beautiful, unspoiled property near Jos (just to find one of those is serendipity) and after we visited the ornithologists who were sitting on a porch measuring, weighing and banding (Brits call it "ringing", apparently) birds they had caught in nets that morning, then releasing them. Learned some fascinating and utterly useless information about birds, like the fact that the house martin migrates to Nigeria from Europe but in fact never touches down-- flies the whole time, even sleeping on the wing. I never would have believed it except the dude who told me is extremely knowledgeable about birds. I realize most people are like "who cares" but that kind of 411 makes my day-- plus the fact that there is, in fact, someone who cares enough about birds in Nigeria to study them and make recommendations about conservation before they all get eaten.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Last full day in San Diego. I'm starting to regret paying for the banquet ticket, since I would like to spend some time today in Old Town. I might go beforehand, since I'm up. (This time zone thing is annoying -- I can't seem to sleep past 6am.) OTOH, I could bail after the food and before the awards, since I don't care who wins....

I spent a lot of time yesterday going to panels. The first one I went to was on YA fantasy. It was interesting, but the main attraction for me was Tamora Pierce, who is beyond awesome. :) Magickmaker had deputized me to get Tammy's autograph on a couple of books (one for her, one for a friend); then Batty texted me right as the panel was starting and asked me if I could get a book signed for her girlfriend. So, Most Awesome Mom that I am :lol: , I bailed from the panel, went to the dealers' room, bought a book, and went back to the panel. Turned out that I was not the only person who wanted Tammy to sign books; I thought I had missed her at the book signing Friday night, but it developed that she had not been there at all. Anyway, mission accomplished. :biggrin:

I skipped an interview with Neil Gaiman, feeling kind of Gaiman'd out from the day before :lol: , and went to a panel about the line between genre fiction and literary fiction. Steven Erikson was supposed to be on the panel, but he has laryngitis (get well soon, Steve!), so he handed the moderator a manifesto :lol: on the subject that he had written on his laptop, and then sat in the audience.

Later, there was a panel on immortals as characters (Elizabeth Bear was the moderator), which was pretty good. Then there was a panel on using North and South American mythology in fantasy fiction, which was inadvertently funny -- William F. Nolan, who wrote "Logan's Run", was a panelist, and made it clear he didn't quite know what he was doing there (he insisted that aliens had created the Aztec pyramids and we should all go and watch the History Channel *right now* :lol: ). Then there was a panel on metafiction. During the Q&A, one woman remarked that "The House of the Seven Gables" struck her as metafiction; I very nearly raised my hand and said it struck *me* as 3rd person omniscient, but if you want to redefine that as metafiction, then whatever :roll: -- but I was too busy knitting. :lol:

EZ Board Survivor

Return to “General Discussion Forum”