STONEWIELDER - [Spoilers]

Malazan and other stuff.

Moderators: lucimay, Onos T'oolan

Onos T'oolan
First Sword

STONEWIELDER - [Spoilers]

Post by Onos T'oolan »

HOLY CRAP!!! 8O 8O 8O Can't believe Esslemont is writing a book with that title!!!

Here's what Esslemont said on Pat's Fantasy Hotlist. fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/
Maybe you don't want to read this is you haven't read RotCG.
Stonewielder unfolds on the subcontinent variously known as ‘Korel’ or ‘Fist’. Again, like Deadhouse Gates, or Return, the novel will serve to flesh out the region of its setting over the course of which answering or furthering certain larger themes and questions. For example, I understand from the threads on the Malaz site that many readers were troubled by the appearance of the ‘Riders, or Stormriders, in Knives (and elsewhere). The readers will have the chance to decide whether Stonewielder puts all those concerns and reservations to rest.
Events follow closely on Return and center on a new Malazan offensive in that theater
Spoiler
launched by the new Emperor, Mallick Rel

mod edit: spoilered that last part as i know of at least one watcher who hasn't read Return of the Crimson Guard yet. :D
"You have no understanding of what his title of Sword signifies - he is without equal in this world." -- K'rul
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

So *that's* where that weasel goes off to, after RotCG...

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Is it bad that I can't remember who the Stonewielder was?

I'm thinking Greymane, but I'm really not sure.
Onos T'oolan
First Sword

Post by Onos T'oolan »

I don't remember anyone being called that. I just assume it's got a lot to do with the Imass. :D
"You have no understanding of what his title of Sword signifies - he is without equal in this world." -- K'rul
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

Murrin wrote:Is it bad that I can't remember who the Stonewielder was?

I'm thinking Greymane, but I'm really not sure.
um...
Spoiler
didn't greymane die?
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Hell if I know. It's all a blur.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

I don't think he did. Could be wrong...tell you when I hit RotCG again. :D

--A
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

I can't believe there's more discussion about Esslemont's next book than about TCG. Boy, you guys are fickle. :lol:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

Onos T'oolan
First Sword

Post by Onos T'oolan »

Well I never heard of this one before I txted you, right before making this thread! :lol:
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Excuses, excuses. :lol:

EZ Board Survivor

Onos T'oolan
First Sword

Post by Onos T'oolan »

And yet (I posted in TCG first. heh), uk has Stonewielder a month before ca. :lol:
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Murrin's right -- they're making up these dates! :lol:

EZ Board Survivor

Post by Avatar »

In the first few pages of RotCG, they mention that Greymane is also known as Stonewielder.

--A

Post by Avatar »

And I noticed in DoD, that Stormrider-type guy, Rudd? He mentions Greymane's Stone in the same context as Onearms Host and Dassem's Sword.

--A
Onos T'oolan
First Sword

Post by Onos T'oolan »

I just ordered this from the UK. Damn, I can't wait! heh
Onos T'oolan
First Sword

Post by Onos T'oolan »

I'm 200 pages in now. It's SO DAMNED GOOD to be back in Malazan!!

As might be expected, it follows RotCG. I'd already forgotten several names and events, so I'm very happy for the Malazan Encyclopedia. Heh.

One surprising non-RotCG character has shown up, and another, even even more surprising one 8O, is promised.

All in all, a typical, crazy, confusing, fantastic Malazan book! :D
Onos T'oolan
First Sword

Post by Onos T'oolan »

OK, gotta share this. Don't worry, nothing spoilerish about it.
She cleared her throat. "So... you fought against the invasion, then...?"
Jheval grunted the affirmative, stretched.
The man is like a cat.
Blinking, he gave her a questioning look.
"Did you face the Imass?"
"Am I dead?"
:haha:
Onos T'oolan
First Sword

Post by Onos T'oolan »

Done. As in RotCG, there is one particularly big event. And a few other important things. All in all, it was a good read. IMO, not up to Erikson's standards, and not even up to RotCG. But maybe not everybody likes RotCG as much as I do.

The whole thing is set on the continent of Koral/Fist. It's great to learn about that whole area, particularly the Stormwall. That is one freakin' COLD place! It didn't help that it's so cold here. Heck, we got more than a foot of snow yesterday, and I just finished the book today. I like reading Dune when it's the hottest days of summer, but this was not as pleasant. Heh.

The problem with the book is that he has too many major plots going on. Getting rid of at least one would have let us see more of the best of the other plots. In particular, the Crimson Guards! The ones we see are very cool. But they aren't seen enough. Same with the others we see. Always hinting at what they can or will do, but, when the payoff comes, I think, "Huh? That's it??"

Still, I buzzed through the book the way I have through all of Malazan so far. I can't get enough of it all!!
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

ok i am finally reading this. i don't know why i held off so long. i guess it was because i was waiting for TCG and once i'd read it, i felt like getting out of the malazan world for a while.

i've been reading detective fiction again and have finished all 16 of lee child's jack reacher books. reacher is an ex MP and his father was a marine so the military figures very prominantly in the books. (i HIGHLY recommend these books, there's not another character like reacher, he's awesome)
and after reading those, it's been hard to find something as good to read. not kidding. so...i realized i still had stonewielder hanging out there unread and finally saw it available for kindle so i got it.

finally, something as good as reacher to read!! :D

at anyrate, i'm liking it very much. i'd have to agree with you Tool, thus far not as good as RotCG, but...not because of the writing. i think essemont's actually maturing nicely as a writer. it's mostly because i think i just haven't connected with any of the characters yet like i did with Temper in NoK or Kyle in RotCG.

that brings me to a question, Tool or Murrin...

in Stonewielder Kyle is referred to as Greymane's Adjunct. thats kinda weird, iddenit? what does that mean? that he acts on behalf of Greymane?
would he take Greymane's spot if somebody actually managed to kill Greymane?
it's wierd when people just refer to him as The Adjunct because that puts me immediately in mind of Lorn or Tavar.

i'm just at the point where Greymane has given the go ahead for the Blue Moranth to pull out their "big guns" and Devaleth is kinda freakin out.

and i have one question about the fella that's hangin in the hidey hole with Kiska. he's an agent of the Queen of Dreams, right? she sent him out with Kiska. there's something about him that is VERY very familiar and he says something about he's not that great a fighter but he's very good at SURVIVAL. i've scoured my brain and i can only think of one fella who this Jevel guy might be.
Spoiler
it's gotta be Leoman, right?
am i right? just tell me. it won't spoil it for me, i swear. :biggrin:
Spoiler
and if i'm right, what happened to dunsparrow? that's who he was
with when we last saw him, right?
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
Onos T'oolan
First Sword

Post by Onos T'oolan »

Yes, that's who he is.

I don't think the Adjunct automatically inherits the job. I think it means this person speaks with the authority of the person to whom they are Adjunct. Disobey the Adjunct, and you are disobeying the Boss, in a very literal sense.

RotCG spoiler:
Spoiler
Tavore did not become Empress when Laseen died, eh?

Return to “Steven Erikson Forum”