Venus visible in the daytime

Technology, computers, sciences, mysteries and phenomena of all kinds, etc., etc. all here at The Loresraat!!

Moderator: Vraith

Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Venus visible in the daytime

Post by Zarathustra »

Right now (3:15 PM EST)! If you have clear skies, you can see it close to the moon, in broad daylight. The moon is a thin crescent very high in the sky, slightly southward at Kentucky latitudes. Let your eyes adjust to the light, hide the sun behind a tree or building, and look up at the moon for a good 30 seconds to a minute in order to adjust to the brightness. Then follow a line from the sun through the moon to about 4-5 moon widths beyond, and there will be a tiny point of light. That's Venus. It's pretty eerie seeing a planet in the blue sky.

After sunset, the show should be even more impressive, and easier to see. A fairly tight conjunction between Venus/Moon/Jupiter is in store for this evening. And when you're looking at this conjunction in the west, Mars will be about the same height in the east, behind you. A bright orange-red dot.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Actually, I just looked again, and the moon/sun/Venus aren't really in a line. That should give you the general direction, however. Venus will appear farther from the sun than the moon does.
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

Too bright here to see it right now. I'll check later.
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
Obi-Wan Nihilo
Still Not Buying It

Post by Obi-Wan Nihilo »

It was pretty cool last night, Venus was high over the crescent moon, and Jupiter was just to the side of the moon.
jelerak
Bloodguard

Post by jelerak »

If I am not mistaken, you can also see Jupiter as well, right in line of sight with the moon and Venus.

A little less bright than Venus, but still very visible.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

About 30 minutes past sunset, this is a spectacular sight! If you have a clear sky, I highly recommend a quick look. Jupiter isn't as close to Moon and Venus as I had implied earlier, but it's still right up there with the two of them, lower in the sky.

Jelerak, Jupiter was also visible in the day, but I didn't see it. Sky and Telescope said that you would have needed binoculars to spot it.

If you have a telescope, Venus looks like a near-half crescent moon.
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

They are pretty darn bright in the San Francisco night sky right now. Very lovely!
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
Prebe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Prebe »

Had my peeks at the celestial vagabonds myself while walking the dog. It's a sight indeed. I have no decent binoculars, but I seem to recall that seeing a few of the Jovian moons is possible with binoculars of reasonable quality.
"I would have gone to the thesaurus for a more erudite word."
-Hashi Lebwohl
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Prebe, I've got some decent 10X50 binoculars, which capture a good amount of light. Yes, you can clearly see 4 moons of Jupiter with a decent set of binoculars. If you watch them week-by-week, you can see them changing position. They look like their own little solar system, all lined up neatly along their orbits.

My telescope lets me see a couple stripes of Jupiter's clouds, and a nice fat disc.
Prebe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Prebe »

My telescope lets me see a couple stripes of Jupiter's clouds, and a nice fat disc.
Cool. I had a cheepo reflector telscope once. I could never get it to show me anything but a a smear. I probably should have been less stingy with my investment.
"I would have gone to the thesaurus for a more erudite word."
-Hashi Lebwohl
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Stood outside for a bit before I went to the grocery store and watched the display. Very cool. 8)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Prebe wrote:
Cool. I had a cheepo reflector telscope once. I could never get it to show me anything but a a smear. I probably should have been less stingy with my investment.
Mine is homemade (not by me, a gift). If you buy a quality lens, you can make a nice telescope dirt cheap. I think it's PVP pipe, painted blue.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Hahaha, that's pretty cool.

--A

Return to “The Loresraat”