5 Ways Modern Men Are Trained to Hate Women

Archive From The 'Tank
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

aliantha wrote:Another great post on the subject. Thanks, Murrin. Did you read the comments? One commenter sort of sniffed at the blog post and said John Scalzi had "raised it to the level of social commentary" by posting a link on his blog -- and then Scalzi himself chimed in to point out that the commenter had just given a perfect example of what Valente was talking about. :lol:
Ouch, missed that one. So they think it's only a worthy social commentary if a popular male author approves it? :lol:
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Does naked=vulnerable apply to men? From a man's point of view, naked men = don't look unless your gay. And from women's, it could very well be naked men = forced sex. The surface message may very well be "wouldn't you like him to bang you", but the undertones may be more negative than positive. Hence the relative lack of naked male images. The ones you do see tend to be comedic ("Because I'm a man, and I want to smell like a man smells like.") or bodice-ripper material (nice, safe fantasy).

That's just how I see it, anyway.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

wayfriend wrote:And from women's, it could very well be naked men = forced sex.
I'm not sure what you mean. Who's forcing who?

If the picture was of a fully-clothed woman and a naked man, who would you perceive as being more powerful?

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

aliantha wrote:
wayfriend wrote:And from women's, it could very well be naked men = forced sex.
I'm not sure what you mean. Who's forcing who?

If the picture was of a fully-clothed woman and a naked man, who would you perceive as being more powerful?
You're putting me on the spot to answer as a woman. I risk being rightly skewered for that. But my intuition and experience tells me that it could easily be interpreted as a man who's about to have sex, and a woman who hasn't even been asked yet, or who is presumed to be submissive. (If a beautiful naked woman walks up to a guy, the guy is happy. If a hunky naked guy walks up to a woman, the woman gets creeped out. No?) Then there's the notion that a man who has the balls to get naked without caring who sees him is a man who, well, has a lot of balls. So I think the answer is still "the man". But based on generalities admittedly.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

wayfriend wrote:If a beautiful naked woman walks up to a guy, the guy is happy. If a hunky naked guy walks up to a woman, the woman gets creeped out. No?
Maybe not. :twisted: I think my interpretation would depend on the expressions on their faces.

I would *too* look at their faces. Cheez, you guys.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

Whats wrong with nude people? And what does nudity have to do with forced sex? And why would I be creeped out by a nude guy? I dont understand.

You should come to the beach here. :)
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And they're moving as far as they can
And as fast as they can
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Ananda wrote:Whats wrong with nude people? And what does nudity have to do with forced sex? And why would I be creeped out by a nude guy? I dont understand.

Typical Americans loathe nudity and sexuality/sensuality. It's OK to watch someone get blown up, but not OK to watch someone walk around nude. It's bizarre. I think it has something to do with people not being comfortable in their skin.

I dunno, but I'm totally naked most of the time I'm home and posting (let that sear itself into your minds).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

Cail wrote:
Ananda wrote:Whats wrong with nude people? And what does nudity have to do with forced sex? And why would I be creeped out by a nude guy? I dont understand.

Typical Americans loathe nudity and sexuality/sensuality. It's OK to watch someone get blown up, but not OK to watch someone walk around nude. It's bizarre. I think it has something to do with people not being comfortable in their skin.

I dunno, but I'm totally naked most of the time I'm home and posting (let that sear itself into your minds).
Considering the graphic I made for your character in this bad writing contest thread, it isnt so terrible to hear! :twisted:
kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=872019#872019
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And as fast as they can
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

Cail wrote:

I imagine you as your zombie avatar so I am vaguely off-put by imagining it naked.
(As opposed to its charismatic presence in that posh suit)
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

Holsety wrote:
Cail wrote:

I imagine you as your zombie avatar so I am vaguely off-put by imagining it naked.
(As opposed to its charismatic presence in that posh suit)
Thats not a zombie! Thats an alien from a really fun scifi film from the 80s. His title or quote or whatever is from that film too.
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And as fast as they can
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

This is me.....Take it for what it's worth.....

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

Nice picture, Cail. Is that the motorcycle you were in the accident on or is it a new one? And, I never saw, but are you all healed up now?
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And as fast as they can
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Ananda wrote:Nice picture, Cail. Is that the motorcycle you were in the accident on or is it a new one? And, I never saw, but are you all healed up now?
No, my bike's not in that photo.

I'm about as healed as I'm going to get. I have about 70% mobility from my left wrist, probably 90% from my right knee. I have a lifetime of getting out of bed slowly to look forward to, but I'm grateful that I have that lifetime to look forward to.
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

Ouch, that stinks, but like you said, it is good that it wasnt worse. Not that I was in an accident, but I can empathise a bit. I tore some ligaments connecting my hamstring muscles to mt hip. I used to go to the gym and run and do classes and some of the machines about 5 times a week, but I overdid it one day and then tried to run a 5k the next and did some nasty damage to myself. Now, I am working on being able to get back to running, but I think it wont happen since I keep reinjuring myself when I try. Anyway, glad youre okay. :hug:
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And as fast as they can
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Injuries suck. I was in fantastic shape last year, running 3-4 times a week, 4 miles at a time. I was also lifting weights 4 times a week. I dropped about 20 pounds, added muscle, and was looking better than I have in my whole life--at 39! [I'd post the shirtless picture as proof, but that would just be too gratuitous. :P Plus, there's no cool motorcycles in the background.] But then I ripped a calf muscle while playing Frisbee. Freakin Frisbee! I put my foot down wrong while looking up at the sky, and felt the muscle "pop." For a second, I thought, "Oh, that's odd. I wonder if I'm hurt." Then when I tried to put weight on it, I literally dropped to the ground in pain. I couldn't walk for more than a week. I got a cane after that. Slowly, I was able to walk normally again, but I could feel it about to give way every now and then as I built up my strength again.

About two months later, I attempted running again. That was a mistake. I managed to do a few runs, but then my muscle started feeling weird. There was this long "string" inside it that was harder than the rest. It began to hurt, so I stopped running and exercising altogether.

That was last summer. Now, I'm trying it again. Very, very slowly. I started out with one mile, walking/running. Now I'm up to 2.5 miles, but I'm only doing 1-2 runs a week. At the slightest hint of pain, I intend to switch to biking, or taking the week off.

Being 40 and out of shape sucks. I had every intention of never being out of shape again. That lasted about 9 months. :roll:
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

Hoping everyone gets better.

My back is cramping a bit painfully right now, but i keep telling myself it's been less than 3 months from the injury. That, and I've just spent 3 days walking about 10km during each (I'm on Eskilstuna train station (Sweden), surfing the net through a free wifi, watching fancy old cars drive by. :) ) and carrying a heavy backpack.
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

Zar, try power yoga. P90X yoga will get you in the best shape of your life.

Syl, you are very handsome. Almost as handsome as Fist. :biggrin:
The King has one more move.
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

Oh that really sucks, Zed. I hope you can get it back. What a crappy way to injure yourself. Mine was mostly self inflicted. I knew I was hurt before the run, but I was used to being young and immortal! And then I kept reinjuring myself pushing too hard to get back into it.

And camora is right about yoga! ... And one called pilates. I thought I was in very good shape the first time I went to one and found out differently!
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And as fast as they can
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Pilates IS yoga with all the hard stuff and purpose/process taken out and needless "equipment" in some variations added in.

Z...if just jogging on it ruined you after 8 weeks, it seems unlikely to be muscle, probably achilles or one of the attached.

Everyone should take up swimming. Use the right strokes, alternate LSD [Long Slow Distance] sprint/rest days, pushups/pullups/situps/squats days.
find a real martial arts class so you're as bad ass as you look...bingo bango bongo.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Hahaha, I see you went back to some facial hair there. Still, beats just the moustache. ;) Lost some weight too, I see.

--A

Return to “Coercri”