What fantasy/science fiction book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

danlo wrote:Yeah, I've wanted to read Scalzi for some time now...same book
I can send it to you, unless you've already got a copy. I'm not planning to keep mine.
Orlion wrote:
aliantha wrote:The Android's Dream was entertaining. Not quite as wild as Terry Pratchett, but a lot of fun.

And B&N's saying mid-May for Orb Sceptre Throne for the Nook. Sigh. Yes, I know, I could order it from Amazon.uk and have it sooner than that....
You could have had it all ready :twisted:
I figured it would either be you or Fist! :lol:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I wash my hands of it!!

:lol:
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Absolam
Servant of the Land

Post by Absolam »

Absolam wrote: Currently reading Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman.
Hahaha, I love that book. :D

--A
This is my first time to read Gaiman. I see he has several others out there. I am really enjoying Neverwhere. Is his other material on the same par?

-Absolam
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm »

Hard to say about on par or not, I think the thoughts on that seriously depend on the reader.

I find "Forbidden Brides of the Faceless Slaves in the Secret House of the Night of Dread Desire" and "A Study in Emerald" both wonderful, but I've seen people praise one and berate the other. I can see myself they're very different and love them mostly for different things, though there is something in common, of course, first of all an unusual look on things.
A role-player, beware
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

I'm re-reading the books I have in David Weber's Safehold series. I'd recommend 'Off Armageddon's Reef' (the first in the series) but I'm not so sure about the rest. It's as if he wants to combine sci-fi + heroic + romance and it grates a bit. His heroes and heroines just seem a bit too perfect. I'm not looking for 'grimdark' but jeez does it have to be all square-jawed, morally perfect geniuses :-x

He also, annoyingly, raises science and technology to the level of religion and somehow manages to relate this to a God. One hero wades through the blood and severed limbs of a multitude of enemies of progress without a twinge of conscience and yet somehow, at the same time, manages to maintain a totally improbable unquestioning belief in God *shrug*

u.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Absolam wrote:This is my first time to read Gaiman. I see he has several others out there. I am really enjoying Neverwhere. Is his other material on the same par?
As Effaeldm said, it very much depends on you. :D I know a lot a people who don't like Neverwhere...(most of them here) but who do like American Gods (pretty good) and Anansi Boys (not my favourite).

I definitely recommend his Sandman graphic novels though. And the book he co-wrote with Terry Pratchett, Good Omens.

--A
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

Absolam wrote:This is my first time to read Gaiman. I see he has several others out there. I am really enjoying Neverwhere. Is his other material on the same par?
As Effaeldm said, it very much depends on you. :D I know a lot a people who don't like Neverwhere...(most of them here) but who do like American Gods (pretty good) and Anansi Boys (not my favourite).

I definitely recommend his Sandman graphic novels though. And the book he co-wrote with Terry Pratchett, Good Omens.

--A
To me, Gaiman's something of a two-way author: I appear to love his every other book, and have the opposite relationship with the rest. Neverwhere, the Sandman comics, Graveyard Book, Good Omens, and Coraline belong to my favorites. The rest...eeeh.
Absolam
Servant of the Land

Post by Absolam »

Thanks to everyone on the feedback RE: Gaiman. I must say I was not nearly as impressed with the second half of Neverwhere (finished it last night) as I was with the first half. After all the build up I felt he took several cheap paths to wrapping the story up. Oh well, still a good read. I was encouraged enough to try another and appreciate the feedback here on possible options.
-Absolam

Post by Avatar »

As usual when I don't have anything to read, I've defaulted to Pratchett. Going Postal.

--A
Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

Mockingjay- the last book in the Hunger Games trilogy. I've been unable to put them down, read the first two in three days.
^"Amusing, worth talking to, completely insane...pick your favourite." - Avatar

https://variousglimpses.wordpress.com
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Just finished the three books myself. I enjoyed them thoroughly.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

Just finished a re-read of Wheelers by Ian Stewart and Jack Cohen.

A good standalone sci-fi novel of first-contact (which I have a preference for). It's a bit of a romp, in some ways, and does contain a couple of implausible coincidences (only noticed them on the re-read though). Relatively low-tech with a bit of rough-and-tumble bootstrapping (which is always fun).

u.
Spiral Jacobs
Giantfriend

Post by Spiral Jacobs »

Listening to The Prefect By Alistair Reynolds, narrated by John Lee. I'm convinced that many years from now, everyone will be speaking with a slight Irish accent.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

I'm sunk, then. Can't do an Irish accent without it sounding like the leprechaun from the Lucky Charms commercial....

Sword Song by Bernard Cornwell.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Image\

start it in the am.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...

Post by Avatar »

Hey, tell me what it's like. I read his blog and some columns by him...pretty funny.

--A
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Avatar wrote:Hey, tell me what it's like. I read his blog and some columns by him...pretty funny.

--A
i will, i actually found out about the book by tripping over the movie preview on youtube. i have just recently discovered that people are posting whole movies there. I was watching Phantasm when the ad appeared after.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I read it all a long while back when it was still posted free online. Can't remember all that much, other than it being very weird and a bit dark.
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

Right now, I'm reading an alternative-uniiverse history - "1634: the Galileo Affair."
(not sure quite what you call this style of sci-fi; I think that's it.)

These authors clearly like history and were CLEARLY having waaaay too much fun 'playing' with the world they envisioned... they've come up with some HILARIOUS situations... if anyone wants to know what the basic premise of this series is, ask away. :biggrin:
Cambo wrote:Mockingjay- the last book in the Hunger Games trilogy. I've been unable to put them down, read the first two in three days.
SoulBiter wrote:Just finished the three books myself. I enjoyed them thoroughly.
Very good, very good! Carry on, folks! :lol:

Yeahhh... when I got to Mockingjay, I was determined to be "disciplined" and not read it all in one big gulp / ignore my children for about 24 hours straight.
So the habit of putting it down at the ends of chapters... helped me to notice just how consistently the author would put a cliffhanger that I was NOT anticipating at the end of every chapter!
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

I have a friend who's into that 1634 series, Linna, and I've read a couple of the books. They're not bad. :)

EZ Board Survivor

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”