Do you actually know what "crepuscular" means?

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

Do you know what "crepuscular" actually means?

It means "crappy". Everyone knows that.
No votes
It means crusty or encrusted.
14%
It means not very bright, kind of dim.
71%
It has to do with molluscs.
No votes
I honestly have no freaking idea.
14%

Total votes: 14

deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Do you actually know what "crepuscular" means?

Post by deer of the dawn »

Another round in the Bad Writing Game includes use of the word "crepuscular" and it made me wonder how many people who have read the Chrons actually know the definition of the word, or just kind of pass over their eyes as they read as a kind of literary wild card, letting it mean whatever they guess it to mean in the context.

What do you think it means-- without using Google or a dictionary!!!

You may only look at this spoiler AFTER answering the poll, or I'll get all crepuscular on you. :P
Spoiler
cre·pus·cu·lar/krəˈpəskyələr/
Adjective:
Of, resembling, or relating to twilight.
(of an animal) Appearing or active in twilight.
Synonyms:
dim - dusky - twilight
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

:mrgreen: I guessed at the answer and was right! :mrgreen:

I actually did read the 1st and 2nd Chrons once with a dictionary at my elbow, so I could look up all the crazy words he uses. Haven't done that yet with the Last Chrons. But he hasn't thrown too many new crazy words at us, I don't think...

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Wrong :!!!: 8O And I pride myself on my vocabulary :oops:
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

looked it up years ago when i first came across it.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

aliantha wrote: But he hasn't thrown too many new crazy words at us, I don't think...
Not quite as many it doesn't seem...but there was that one sentence that like fifty different colors [mostly shades of yellows and greens IIRC??].
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Vraith wrote:
aliantha wrote: But he hasn't thrown too many new crazy words at us, I don't think...
Not quite as many it doesn't seem...but there was that one sentence that like fifty different colors [mostly shades of yellows and greens IIRC??].
Which book? I might have just, y'know, let my eyes pass over that sentence.... :oops:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

Absolam
Servant of the Land

Post by Absolam »

I admit I did not look this up when reading the books. I guessed and it turns out I was only "half" right. Not sure if that means my vocabulary is half empty or half full. :-)

-Absolam
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Hello Absolam

Always half full, never half empty :-)
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Optimists. Gotta love 'em. :LOLS:

--A
Shuram Gudatetris
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Shuram Gudatetris »

I was correct in the option I picked as well, although I seem to be alone (so far) in that option :oops:
Covenant is Linden Frankenstein's monster.

I maxed-out Tetris!
Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

aliantha wrote:
Vraith wrote:
Which book? I might have just, y'know, let my eyes pass over that sentence.... :oops:
It was in AATE,
Spoiler
Describing the colours of the Ardent's ribbons.
^"Amusing, worth talking to, completely insane...pick your favourite." - Avatar

https://variousglimpses.wordpress.com
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

I picked the one I would've picked before I looked the word up for the Bad Writing Contest! (#2... it just felt right!)
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Cambo wrote:
aliantha wrote:
Vraith wrote: Not quite as many it doesn't seem...but there was that one sentence that like fifty different colors [mostly shades of yellows and greens IIRC??].
It was in AATE,
Spoiler
Oh! I *do* remember that! :oops:

EZ Board Survivor

deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

:) Well, people did better than I expected!
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I didn't vote, because my first thought was relating it to twilight and I didn't realise the connection with "dim".
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Murrin wrote:I didn't vote, because my first thought was relating it to twilight and I didn't realise the connection with "dim".
there is a joke there - but i will resist. :biggrin:
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Cambo wrote:
aliantha wrote:
Vraith wrote: Not quite as many it doesn't seem...but there was that one sentence that like fifty different colors [mostly shades of yellows and greens IIRC??].
It was in AATE,
Spoiler
I didn't remember that that's what it was...[I'm actually not convinced it IS, I thought it was something Linden and power], but it definitely was in AATE...I searched Z's AATE posts to find the line cuz I knew he quoted it somewhere, and it is:
a personal effluvium of cerise and incarnadine and carbuncle, ecru and ivory, turquise and viridian and azure, blue as deep as velvet, yellows ranging from the fulvous and the sulphuric to the palest gold.
So I was wrong about mostly yellows and greens...it's got most of the rainbow in there.

ON TOPIC though: when I run across crepuscular, [funny how common a word it is in fantasy/horror and almost nowhere else] my auto thought is a reddish dim light [perhaps cuz I think "sunset beside "twilight?," or maybe cuz it reminds me of "corpuscle?,"....I don't really know.]
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm »

sgt.null wrote:
Murrin wrote:I didn't vote, because my first thought was relating it to twilight and I didn't realise the connection with "dim".
there is a joke there - but i will resist. :biggrin:
I have an an idea about that, but not sure if that's the one you thought of. Can you tell me if don't want to post it here?
Spoiler
If that's so, I'd think the Watchers tend to know well the connection between "Twilight" and dim, Zorm knows particularly well
A role-player, beware

Return to “General Discussion Forum”